United States
Playa del Rey
California
flag msg tools
"Then create the galaxy as described on page 8 of the
original rulebook. However, in step 3 of “Creating the
Galaxy,” continue placing systems until there are 4,
rather than just 3, rings around Mecatol Rex."

Am I reading this correctly that if 5-6 palyers want a larger galaxy (4th ring of map tiles), you create the map as normal for a 5-6 player game (SPECIFICALLY that homeworlds are on the 3rd ring) and THEN you add a 4th ring?

Reiterate: this means that the homeworlds are NOT on the outermost ring.

Related: Since both [errated] artifacts and [territorial] distant suns have restricted placement next to homeworlds, then they have altered starting placement (because there are now more tiles adjacent to hoemworld tiles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct; the HW's won't be in the outer ring.

However, I'd advise against that extra ring; it adds a lot more resources, which may sound good on the surface, but it makes the fighting-over-the-resources much less important. I played one game like that, and we all had so many resources that most of us had practically all our units on the board. Wasn't nearly as tense as it should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No change to the distant suns in the rules. You still put low risk next to home worlds.

Unless you want to spice it up, then do whatever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Tevebaugh
United States
California
flag msg tools
The Low risk Distant Sun's is a Variant (I like it for CON's but we don't do that for my play group)
I agree with Scott Lewis, the 4th ring was fun to try once but it didn't have the desired effect. You could always do Combat only objectives and that might make the funds more useful. But the "I now spend 10 influence/Resources" objectives are to easy and makes the game play more like a LONG version of Puerto Rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

However, I'd advise against that extra ring; it adds a lot more resources, which may sound good on the surface, but it makes the fighting-over-the-resources much less important. I played one game like that, and we all had so many resources that most of us had practically all our units on the board. Wasn't nearly as tense as it should have been.

I think it would be possible to keep the total amount of resources at the same level by adding tiles with less resources, more empty tiles and more red bordered tiles.

There aren't going to be that many tiles left over.

When playing a 6-player game with the extra ring, there will be exactly ONE tile left over (well, not counting the unused home systems, of course).

If you were to play a 5-player game with the extra ring, there would be no tiles left over (and you wouldn't be able to finish the extra ring if playing with 4 players; you'd be a tile short).

Thus, in theory you could do that, but in practice, there just aren't enough extra tiles to reduce those resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

This fact might change with the new expansion.

I'm sure there will be more tiles left over, but my guess is (which is just a guess) there won't be a whole lot of "blank" tiles in the new expansion. Instead, I'm guessing all the tiles will either have planets or be the red-bordered "special" tiles.

With Shattered Empire, the blank tiles were probably included because of the increase in the number of players (which, when playing 7 or 8, necessitates having the 4th ring simply due to cramping). Since Shards won't be adding more players, I find it less likely that tiles would be added just to fill extra space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
JohanCarstensen wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

I think it would be possible to keep the total amount of resources at the same level by adding tiles with less resources, more empty tiles and more red bordered tiles.

When playing a 6-player game with the extra ring, there will be exactly ONE tile left over (well, not counting the unused home systems, of course).

If you were to play a 5-player game with the extra ring, there would be no tiles left over (and you wouldn't be able to finish the extra ring if playing with 4 players; you'd be a tile short).

Thus, in theory you could do that, but in practice, there just aren't enough extra tiles to reduce those resources.

You can make any tiles except for homeworld tiles into open space tiles simply by flipping them upside down. Yeah, they're reddish but thats only because of the space dust in that area of the galaxy. Thus you can easily make a 4-ring galaxy with scarce resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.