United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Aether Captains - where to from here and many thanks
thanks for that not that i mind hijacks. this thread is going to be my design journal with you all.

based on kai and jessey and kevin's and now your other thread comments i have the inkling of an idea for a 1-4 person co-op game that should be in the 30-45 min range. i need to work it out a bit more before i can explain it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all of them contain the basic rules (which basically are the same in each setting: character creation, combat, healing, magic/supernatural powers and the likes) - as well as the stuff needed for "their" setting. The "actual" d6 system is the quintessence of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like Co-Op games. Faerie Child however is what I see as your foray into that and it's coming along GREAT. No it's not part of the AE verse but maybe AE doesn't need a Co-Op. *Shrug*

dumarest123 wrote:
i've been thinking of working with some artists to create a map of Arkady and creating a game where 2-4 players would control fleets of ships, the AetherNavy, Freeship Traders and Air Pirates, and battle one another across the coastlines of the world.

on a smaller scale i am interested in creating a 2 player game where one would be Revenants boarding an AetherNavy ship, the other player being the crew trying bravely to defend themselves. this game would use cards that would be the various cabins/holds of a zeppelin (sort of along the lines of Space Hulk Death Angel). for now this is a rather custom dice heavy game in my mind, so we'll see where it ends up

These ideas both really interest me, at least in the approach to setting/theme. As has been mentioned already in this thread I wouldn't be opposed to you stepping away from dice. Dice games have a short shelf life for me as they tend to become the same game over and over. Still the idea of developing games based on the whole world and then on a city level as well are just really interesting. If I could pick an approach to take the city level game as you mentioned it I might would want to see a city exploration type of thing. Thinking something like RuneBound in the movement scope. Perhaps player control different areas of the city and the struggle for control or influence is what is at hand. Perhaps it's a card driven type of game where the players have cards in hand but have to choose how to use them, movement points, influence in an area or as these games do and it's fun to play some special action. (Movement points would be allotted to the cards along with the terrain available, and influence would be similar but instead references the geographical limitations of city areas.)

The former is extremely attractive yet a daunting task. To do a world wide game for the verse would be super cool but the game needs to be something really special as it would become the flagship for the series of games. I have no problem with this being your huge battle game but it's going to have to take on some really interesting aspects. I'm thinking of games like Chaos in the Old World and Cyclades. These are brutal battle games but take very unique approaches to that idea. I'm going to sleep on the idea I want to post about this for now...but that's what I have to offer thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i recently re-read Sid Sackson's A Gamut of Games of which i am lucky to have a 1969 edition

Wow! I just picked up a copy of the same edition at the discard at my local library. I hadn't heard of it before but it looks like it has a lot of good content. Kind of a wierd coincidence.

I really apreciate all the work you've done on the Aether Captains games; It's been awesome seeing such high-quality work (games and artistic design) come out in a pnp format and from a single designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Yadsruht wrote:
Quote:
i recently re-read Sid Sackson's A Gamut of Games of which i am lucky to have a 1969 edition

Wow! I just picked up a copy of the same edition at the discard at my local library.

When I was reading this thread I jumped over on Amazon and bought the last remaining used copy. Looks like a reprint is on the way at the end of March though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
good to know it is being reprinted. i'll be posting here soon the idea for the next game. i think i am working out something that might prove to be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
one thing to come out of the card contest that has my design gears rotating right now is the one thread where the designer mentioned he wanted a game he could simply hold in his hand and play standing in line. like pocket civ and AC - PT this could be accomplished with the cards begin divided into 2 or 3 areas and the top card is slid over to align the stats/actions/etc. on the next card for the resolving.

i've been moving away from dice based games now, the ones i cut my teeth on to more complex card driven ones and this really has me wondering if it could be done.

the old game of hand solitaire where you look at 4 cards in a line and if the end cards match in suits, pull out the 2 middle cards, or if the numbers match, pull out all four trying to exhaust the deck, was a favorite of mine long before iphones and androids and the like where you could play a game in just one hand. of course hand solitaire is completely luck based but hmm is there something there.

i would couple it with a fun AC theme of perhaps you are an engineer fixing a zeppelin engine or some such because you are using your hand to do it.

there could be a layer of kai's d6 system where the next card is in essence the dice roll.

goal would be to go through x number of cards resolving them.

let say out of 54-60 cards there are 5 or 6 character cards with a stats orientation to the top of the card so you'd set it slightly up out of the deck in your hand.

the rest of the deck would have cards divided into 3. top of each game card references upward to the character stats (giving you + or - bonuses) and right or leftward to the next card over with the action resolves where those character stats are applied.

though i know my hands are large this could be workable with a 2.5x3.5 card.

any thoughts? i know this is going to keep me up now til 4 designing it in my head.

further thought just now. you could actually track in essence eurocubes to apply to things

the character card could be slid up a notch each time you need to use a "resource" when resolving an action. this would change your character stats. there could even be certain game cards that let you slide the character card back down a notch gaining resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
to also throw out my thoughts about a co-op game (now that etherton's thread has gained some really great comments and i've had a look at some of the games peakhope mentioned). also mention must be made of jessey (candy)'s ideas he emailed to me about the embedded story line.

i am sketching out a 1-4p co-op game. you would be the crew of a Freeship Trader on your usual trade route in and around the Grand Compact.

each of the 4 characters would have a character card that markers could be placed on for custom skills. each character shares 2 skills with all other characters. each also has a special skill.

each player would get one deck of cards to use as they see fit (i.e. their themed character resources:trade goods/crew/aether energy/wrenches/gold) to use during the game. but once used they are gone.

1, 2, or 3 scenarios would be selected from 8-10 (depending on game length)
and everyone would work together as the ships crew to win the scenarios. from etherton's thread yes there could be alpha leaders so perhaps you work as a crew but you each have your own motives/passions/grudges so cards could remain in hand or all knowledge is known by all.

for fewer than 4 players each character not played becomes a NPC/AI sort of thing and all players could pull from those resources when in game.

somewhat like red november i guess but with more options for rpg/narrative elements. there would not be any dice or luck rolls. you have to make do with what you have and your own unique talents to get by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
one thing to come out of the card contest that has my design gears rotating right now is the one thread where the designer mentioned he wanted a game he could simply hold in his hand and play standing in line.

That also got my attention. I did a search recently for compact games, and could only find lists of games that are in small boxes, not games that are small on the table. Games like Lost Cities are easy to pack, but require a pretty big table to play. There is a shortage of games that can be played on an airplane tray (or less).

Quote:
the old game of hand solitaire where you look at 4 cards in a line and if the end cards match in suits, pull out the 2 middle cards, or if the numbers match, pull out all four trying to exhaust the deck, was a favorite of mine long before iphones and androids and the like where you could play a game in just one hand.

Yes! I taught my wife that game a couple months ago, after not playing it for a decade or two.

Quote:
though i know my hands are large this could be workable with a 2.5x3.5 card.

I think so. Definitely sounds like a cool idea.

Quote:
further thought just now. you could actually track in essence eurocubes to apply to things

the character card could be slid up a notch each time you need to use a "resource" when resolving an action. this would change your character stats. there could even be certain game cards that let you slide the character card back down a notch gaining resources.

Not sure about the notch thing. But what about starting with "n" cards face-up below your character card. Each time you take a "hit", you would have to flip the bottom one over (becoming the new last card of the undrawn deck below). When you run out of cards to flip, if you get hit, you die. Maybe the unused character cards could double as hit markers, so you would have 5 or 6 hits available (including the fatal blow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
this is an extremely quick mock up. card on left is character card. right shows that character card in place with its resources showing and the game card with its action resolve to the right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:
one thing to come out of the card contest that has my design gears rotating right now is the one thread where the designer mentioned he wanted a game he could simply hold in his hand and play standing in line.

That also got my attention. I did a search recently for compact games, and could only find lists of games that are in small boxes, not games that are small on the table. Games like Lost Cities are easy to pack, but require a pretty big table to play. There is a shortage of games that can be played on an airplane tray (or less).

yes other than some dice games i do not know of really any. ZiMP is one sure but what it if is strictly in hand. it's funny with all that we can play on an iphone now - like carcassone or scrabble - this idea really has a hold of me as something with potential

one can go up, right/left (only one way) or down sliding a card while still managing i think to hold it all in your hand

i like your hit idea kevin. reminds me of the bullet life cards in bang. where the back of the card doesn't not go to waste. if you are carrying the deck you might as well utilize the backs i suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
i am sketching out a 1-4p co-op game. you would be the crew of a Freeship Trader on your usual trade route in and around the Grand Compact.

I'm having trouble envisioning the whole thing from the brief description, but it also sounds quite promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
a deck with one card pulled up, one pulled down and one shifted to the left or right (and i am left handed but hold my cards like a right handed person i think so i am a bit confused tonight which way the left right shift should be) does seem doable in one hand.

so
up is the character stats/resources
left/right is the action
down is hit points or other resources

up and down i think i have at maximum 1/2 of the card to use, more likely it is 1/3 or 2/5ths probably. (the lower half of the character card could state a overall game goal to remember or a very special power that can be used once)

left/right i would have 2/3rds to 4/5ths for image, description, text for the action part, with the remaining section for the resolve values and reward.

your idea kevin of a 'down' makes me think a revenant boarding/attack or a aetherengineer ship repair (a la red november) is a good theme.

it would have to be a focused narrative and decision path. your goal:
kill x revenants
fix x engine gremlins

see 1:30am and i am deep in designmode here. did it to myself again

bizarrely could this also be a 2 person game, each has a deck, my top card action is resolved with your top card numbers, we each have our own character card and hit point tally. could be a co-op game or one on one.

"bang! in your hand" so to speak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ok last post for tonight to get this idea down so i remember it

narrative: revenant shock troops have boarded an Aethernavy zeppelin and your crew must now fight a pitched battle against them in the holds and cabins of the ship.

the 'up' card is your ship (you can pick/randomly chosen from 5 or 6 ships in the deck each with slightly different assets) and has a resource ladder tracking

morale
ammo
aetherengineer macgyvering

back side of ship cards (you can pick/randomly chosen from the 4 -5 backs of the remaining ship cards) is the 'down' card and lists your crew and special ability resources. and again these could have different balances in numbers to make it a new game each time.

remain 40-45 'left/right' cards narrate the battle. some cards are straight battle cards, resolved with the 'slid' card's numbers. some cards are breathers letting you regain resources.

the luck element is these random slid card numbers and how they resolve actions but the strategy is how you use your 'up' and 'down' resources because they are finite. you only have the crew/ammo/resources you have on the ship in the middle of a battle. the ones right there at the breach in the hull the revenants are coming through. you can pile on more ammo to add a +1, +2, +3 modifier to the resolve values but then you lose those resources. or if you can't afford those resources you lose crew which affects the game lose condition and other modifiers.

breather cards let you find an extra cache of ammo or more crew coming to your aid from various other ship areas. which then alter your 'up/down' resource ladders. but these cards might be rare in the deck.

a further possible luck randomizer could be the black cross icon shown in the above image. this could prevent one of the resources from being used or gain you a temporary advantage during that top 'left' card action.

the card contest entry using a deck to be played in your hand is this - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/615198/wip-zed-deck-zomb...

he uses an additional paper slider piece as his hit point/supplies tracker while holding the deck. actions involve, i think, only two values, you have to overcome a set of attack numbers by drawing cards from the deck and adding their values. you only go through the deck once. so the win condition is based on how many cards you have gone through. burn too many trying to overcome the attack and your total score is lower

later final thoughts

Game title: Onslaught Revenant
54 cards (to make a standard printable deck)
game cards - 40 (see below for why 40)
ship cards - 6 to 8 different ships with crews on backsides
extra cards - 6 to 8 for i am not sure what. at least 2 for game rules

win conditions:
1. easy - choose 20 game cards (shuffle) and resolve the battle/breather actions on 10 of them using numbers on other 10 cards
2. medium - choose 30 game cards (shuffle) and resolve the battle/breather actions on 15 of them using numbers on other 15 cards
3. hard - use all 40 cards, resolve battle/breather actions on 20 of them using numbers on other 20

game cards - a large number will be 'hallway/passageways' with straight battles
some will be special - wardroom, mess hall, supplies hold - which are battle or breather cards giving you some resource/crew add-ons

this way the pitched battle will seem to be logically going back and forth through various parts of the ship but special rooms will only be encountered once. narratively your band of defenders can come across an ammunition store or make do with some other resource they find or extra crew come to their aid. wins for a battle may also get you a resource or two but each battle should not have a reward other than surviving it hopefully with most of your crew.

lose conditions:
1. lose a battle in key rooms - engine room, command deck, fore gunnery and your ship is taken over by the air pirates
2. whole crew dies

i think this should add to a degree of repeat plays especially if the ship cards are HMS class, Corsair class and Freeships. each would have a wide variance of resources you'd have to use strategically. reverse sides to use as crew would have large or small crews with different attack ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's heartening to see my Zed Deck idea on the PnP Card game challenge has stirred up some more great ideas for your world/games (although yours, I'm sure, will have better artlaugh ).

Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Quay is a game specifically designed for holding in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Add me to the "Standing in Line, No Table Card Game"-is-an-awesome-idea-bunch.

Maybe a contest for designs of that style after the current one is finished in a few months?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
a little mucking about this morning on a couple of trial action cards

graphically i'd like this game to be sparse and have a sort of victorian broadside feel to the text: multiple fonts in multiple sizes, lots of borders and underlines

card geography

black cross icon at top, will suppress one of the ship bonuses from the 'up' card

main area - image of ship section and/or some flavor text for on the breather cards

red circle icon - attack number for revenants
black circle icon - check for revenants subverting the crew
black pirate icon - number of crew subverted/dead after action

gold ovoids - push pull numbers for resource recovery/loss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cattlemark wrote:
Add me to the "Standing in Line, No Table Card Game"-is-an-awesome-idea-bunch.

Maybe a contest for designs of that style after the current one is finished in a few months?

yes with eurocube worker pocket placement and blind pocket resource draws with referential directions for back pocket left, back pocket right, front pocket left, front pocket right and the randomizing shirt pocket (you might have this extra resource location and you might not)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i've worked out how to use 46 cards for the game card levels

22 cards 11/11
34 cards 17/17
46 cards 23/23

6 cards for the ships and 2 cards for the rules and we have a 54 card deck.

dinner party tonight to start cooking for so expect a fully designed game by let's say tuesday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
dumarest123 wrote:

yes with eurocube worker pocket placement and blind pocket resource draws with referential directions for back pocket left, back pocket right, front pocket left, front pocket right and the randomizing shirt pocket (you might have this extra resource location and you might not)

Sarcastic or not, that's pretty awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
it wouldnt be sarcastic until i mention your girlfriend/wife's purse which will be used as the 'bank' for the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
dumarest123 wrote:
it wouldnt be sarcastic until i mention your girlfriend/wife's purse which will be used as the 'bank' for the game

How about the amount of change in a stranger's pocket as a randomizer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
only if you want to make friends in line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
So we could go into the no-table pickup game business?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [188] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.