flag msg tools
designer
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Aether Captains - Current Projects
eracer68 wrote:
The rumor is that Gunslinger (and Magic Realm) will be getting a reprint.

See this thread Rumor: Possible Magic Realm Reprint to be Announced on Next Weeks Dice Tower Episode!!!!!

I assume Stronghold will be doing it but then FFG will create a last minute game page on their site and announce they've been working on it for the past year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
unfortunately i find tom vasel kind of obnoxious so i'll wait for the real announcement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
practise makes perfect. i am getting better with my planet designs (actually i could happily do this all day long). even snuck a small moon in on new karma 2.

i'll probably go back and tweak a few of my first ones. 4 to go - 2 for nipna and 2 for mynkuria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
practise makes perfect. i am getting better with my planet designs (actually i could happily do this all day long). even snuck a small moon in on new karma 2.

That's no moon. It's a space station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i might try one with a meteor ring around it perhaps with the shadow being cast across the planet

that and maybe one of these needs a space elevator if i can contrive how to show that in orbit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*gasp* a space elevator?

you're flying too close to the sun, icarus!

but seriously, these look fantastic! looking at these is giving me a really bad itch to play something sci-fi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i am certainly happy to keep making planets. going to try and finish all 6 star atlas maps tonight though first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
Citizen Liaison High Minister for Civic Involvement
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
unfortunately i find tom vasel kind of obnoxious so i'll wait for the real announcement

Wha .... Sacrilege. How dare thee dis the holy cleric of cardboard. Careful lest the hounds of the hotness come and drag ye away. Forsoothe and other such haughty words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ok the final 4 planets are done as are the other 5 star charts. (i ended up switching Regari over to Mynkuria because i needed an airless world there)

the debris ring around Nipna 2 i am happy with, and Nipna 1 came out best of all the planets i have done.

so ... i'll take a break for a day or two then tackle putting the icons on the planets and move on to the next part of the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
all 15 planets in one image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty...

Makes me want to take up stargazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
in other news, i have a couple of big publishers looking at some of my games right now. really hoping Serica and Polders get signed. would be a real morale booster.

sent a full handmade demo copy of Serica and 2 of Polders to my agents yesterday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this before but thought maybe it was the image playing tricks with my eyes, but now I'm not so sure. Why does the middle planet in the top row look like it's got a huge bite taken out of it? Am I just looking at it the wrong way?

Also, fingers crossed for the publishers, that sounds awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
oh a transparency issue. i may have to dial down the multiply filter there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Toochaos
msg tools
hey Todd those planets look amazing, just curious how you do most of your artwork, i know how to make a planet that appears realistic but how do you add the extra flair, and just get everything to look so darn good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
for this work i am using photoshop. i googled a bunch of different tutorial links to understand the tricks for making planets and combined what i learned. some of the base textures are actually photos of lichen on walls in my neighborhood. there are a whole series of overlays (8 or 9 layers) that have filters applied, then everything is flattened and put on top of a star field and some lens flare filtering is then added.

i've definitely gotten better with practise. i still need to work out something to make the star field feel more 3d

for most of my game work though i just do everything in InDesign. i've never learned Illustrator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
i still need to work out something to make the star field feel more 3d

I'd suggest taking a look at http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ to get an idea of what starfields actually look like.

And while I'm on the subject of "should", the rings on Nipna 2 are really bugging me as an ex-physicist. Rings end up in a plane, that is, flat, due to gravity and planetary spin. Any local gravity event sufficient to distort the rings like that will strip them off in pretty short order.

That said, it only bugs me because I know better, it *looks* fantabulous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
in other news, i have a couple of big publishers looking at some of my games right now. really hoping Serica and Polders get signed. would be a real morale booster.

sent a full handmade demo copy of Serica and 2 of Polders to my agents yesterday

That's awesome, I'd love to see Serica get printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Your redesigns for Star Smuggler are awesome. Might you consider an update to the ship layout?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
ex-physicist

Is there such a thing? I thought physicists were like Catholics - you can never really leave, you just become 'lapsed' or 'non-practising' or whatever... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Slev wrote:
ex-physicist

Is there such a thing? I thought physicists were like Catholics - you can never really leave, you just become 'lapsed' or 'non-practising' or whatever... ;-)

Physics and I are no longer on speaking terms, but I do let my mind drift back on lonely nights at sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 6
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
oh a transparency issue. i may have to dial down the multiply filter there

tell the truth-it's your thumb print
Only Joking,Brilliant graphics,i have never looked forward to a game so much as this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 6
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
for this work i am using photoshop. i googled a bunch of different tutorial links to understand the tricks for making planets and combined what i learned. some of the base textures are actually photos of lichen on walls in my neighborhood. there are a whole series of overlays (8 or 9 layers) that have filters applied, then everything is flattened and put on top of a star field and some lens flare filtering is then added.

i've definitely gotten better with practise. i still need to work out something to make the star field feel more 3d

for most of my game work though i just do everything in InDesign. i've never learned Illustrator

Sounds like a lot of hard work.Do you ever get a chance to relax?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:

And while I'm on the subject of "should", the rings on Nipna 2 are really bugging me as an ex-physicist. Rings end up in a plane, that is, flat, due to gravity and planetary spin. Any local gravity event sufficient to distort the rings like that will strip them off in pretty short order.

That said, it only bugs me because I know better, it *looks* fantabulous!

well i'm'a gonna pretend that since Nipna 2 is a planet of weapons makers who are at war with Mynkuria, that the rings are actually a cloud of self propelled weaponized nanites placed in orbit as a defensive measure

ok i adjusted the rings to be more of a nanite fog circling the planet in the image

happy now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  24 , 25 , 26 , 27 , 28  Next »  [185] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.