Subject: Todd Sanders: Current Projects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: later [+] [View All]
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Re: Aether Captains - where to from here and many thanks
Just so there's no more hijacking of a very important thread on the future of Aether Captains, I set up a thread on the discussion about No Table/Line Standing games over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
some artwork for tonight, working out how the ship card front and back would look and operate

top row is a ship card, front and back.

front shows useable resource bonuses and the ship type/name and what special power it may have

back shows crew count (i.e. HP) and attack rating base number for resolving attacks. right now the idea is you compare your attack rating against the red number and add in 'up' card resource modifiers. if higher you win, if lower then you 'roll' for revenant attack and may lose a crew member.

lower image shows how all the cards operate in your hand, with the resolve values cards slid out to the right.

right now the ship card handles 3 types of resources
(blue) morale - (red) ammunition stores - (green) engineering i.e. use what is at hand

there is room for a 4th resource type on the ship card but i may not want to add that. 3 i think is plenty for this sub compact type of game

i am pleased that i think i found a workable icon to denote the push pull bonus/hazard numbers. the hand/index finger seems logical to me.

also the gray circles at the top of the game card denote what resource you cannot use for this attack. there might be some possibility for color circles as well denoting something maybe.

the number ladders seem readable as well to me and take up less than half a card which is good. but have enough room to not be too finicky while sliding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit concerned about having cards stick out a specified amount in more than one direction. If I got jostled and the cards shifted, I think I could remember the exact slidage of one key card. And having a card stick out the side a fixed amount is fine. But having to remember how far a second card is sticking out the bottom might be a bit much.

I haven't yet taken the time to really dive in and fully understand your game description. Just wanted to share that thought for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree i am pushing the envelope some. we'll see where it takes me. i am going to print up a few sample cards and stick them in a regular deck of playing cards and do some sliding/flipping/jostling and see what occurs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
dumarest123 wrote:
lower image shows how all the cards operate in your hand, with the resolve values cards slid out to the right.

Have you actually tried holding cards in your hand like this? For ten minutes? twenty minutes? I can imagine getting a hand cramp or getting jostled frequently. I think using all three exposed sides of the cards represents a dexterity challenge for some people. (Especially with sleeved cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the last image, I thought you'd used a hole punch to show crew stats through to the upper card...heh

Imagine, if you will, crew cards and ship cards with ship cards having holes showing the current crew and bonuses...I was thinking about doing this with 1/4" hole punches and a fighting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Those aren't hole punches?

I see that they aren't now. Either way, that's a good idea for the type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
no no hole punches in these though yes that is an interesting idea. if this went the artscow route you'd have to do some self mods after which would be be beyond skill sets. hmm yes that might be something interesting.

i was working with the slide because it is a strategic choice, when the top card slides you are using up resources. the hole idea makes this more random based on the current game card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
As long as you kept the hole punches standard office-size, most people could mod it easily. Most people have a handheld single hole punch, and if not they are a cheaply bought office supply. If it was any larger punch there might be issues. Mark the hole punch on the cards with a very noticeable PUNCH HERE. Of course with a single hole puncher, you'd be limited to hole punches within the first inch or less of the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:

Have you actually tried holding cards in your hand like this? For ten minutes? twenty minutes? I can imagine getting a hand cramp or getting jostled frequently. I think using all three exposed sides of the cards represents a dexterity challenge for some people. (Especially with sleeved cards.)

well i am envisioning this game being only 5-10 minutes at most. i am maybe pushing the boundaries some here, granted, but i am interested to see where it will go. i'll take a deck of cards with me tomorrow and playtest the sliding while standing on the bus to work which has plenty of jostling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
some time tonight to work on the ship cards

numbers are now bigger and bolder and there is a designation border for the first card position. gray bars should help you slide the cards out correctly. 12 ladder rungs may be too many right now, 8 or 9 might be best

showing here the 6 ships: 3 HMS class, 2 Corsair and 1 Freeship. the ship card backs will have variable crew starting numbers for the fight which will make the game easier or harder. the back at the top also have a player aid for icons. mostly to fill up some blank real estate

i am still somewhat tenuous on how the "bonuses/resources/dice adds" work on the front of the ship cards. i do know there are 3 types of resources (morale, ammo and tools) and they provide you an attack bonus of some such and as you use one you slide the whole card up so i want there to be some strategic decision about when to use a bonus. but i am not quite sure of how it works yet. in the last image above i had gaps in the columns of numbers so that there was a randomizing element. so as you used one bonus in one column a different one would slide into place in another

i do know the game card can support the black cross icon (or a punched circle) that will either serve to highlight a number or mark it as unusable during an attack. just do not quite have the mechanic worked out yet.

looking for any ideas/comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tonight's bit of intensive doodling

the northern territories still have to be colored in and the 10 city state given names.

i may go back and redraw the city state boundaries though first, to smooth them out some along better geographic borders. this is the first map i've ever drawn completely out of thin air
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice bit of cartography you've got going there.

I have a fantasy setting that I've been working on for the past 10 years or so, have the map, the races, a bit of history...

Perhaps my next game could have some connection to it.

Looking forward to more of this setting :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started watching Lost Exile, I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for listing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an excellent anime. I also like Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind (anything by Miyamoto, actually) due to it's usage of aircraft.

Steamboy would fit well with a ground-based steam punk as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
glad you are enjoying lost exile. it is a really fine series. i love the idea of the vanships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
finished map

the city states have much better borders now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
map with bold colors for a possible trading game or Risk/Condottiere style game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Etherton have a port on the bay, or not? Seems like there should be some interesting geopolitical history there, where either they just barely got cut off for some reason, or just barely did get some water access.

Right now, at a glance, that intersection looks a bit mathematical and not historical. So...."Tell me a story!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton is the main industrial heart of the grand compact. it is in the mountainous lowlands near a large lake and yes has port access some miles from the main industrial locations. think lake constance at the foot of the alps

mountains are main source of mining for metals which is why etherton was founded there

it is where the main shipyard of the aethernavy are as well so it has military importance

city position and mountains now shifted to be more geographically accurate

i have to say making maps is a lot of fun. i've never really created any like this previously. since all the elements are on different layers i can change line types, color and such as i need to for different applications and i will not have to redraw the map each time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Maps look simply incredible. Can't wait to see what comes for these. WOW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to need airship standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
at this point i am at somewhat of a standstill on Onslaught Revenants. the game as it stands now is too autopilot

turn a card, check attack number against your attack rating, use one of 3 resources to raise that number. succeed and go to next card. fail and lose crew after a revenant check and go to next card. make it through the whole deck (with deck card count options for easy, normal and hard) and win, lose all your crew or lose a battle in a key room (engine room for example) and you lose the game.

the 3 types of resources (morale, ammo, tools) may have a random distribution on the card (though fixed because the numbers are not rolled) you can use one of two optional resources then the card is slid up thereby losing the other. some rooms will allow you to regain resources.

but there is just no strategy as of yet.

roll values are by random luck currently. which is ok.
i like the idea of one of 6 ships randomly selected and of the 5 remaining cards a crew response is selected which would fit the narrative of a hull breach and whomever is there is in the battle. so your crew number and attack rating might be low or high to begin with.

i either need a better way to store and use resources or somehow the narrative embeded with the cards needs to change for multiple decisions paths.

one option is a limited amount of "ammo", you start with X and using it up to provide attack bonuses means you might not have it later on, unless you can find it. the 'tools' will allow you to fashion weapons out of other things (engineer macgyvering), 'morale' allows a bonus to a revenant attack (i.e. fight to the death rather than be taken). ammo could be track at the bottom edge of the 'down' card with a clip of some sort.

less hand solitaire, more death angel. but still held in one hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:

i know they are out there i'd love to get some cast 3d zeppelins for games. with the maps i now have, small 3d zeppelin flying over the countryside would make for a nice visual component to a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
Celinashope wrote:

i know they are out there i'd love to get some cast 3d zeppelins for games. with the maps i now have, small 3d zeppelin flying over the countryside would make for a nice visual component to a game

Check out Dystopian Wars, might be able to repurpose something:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85652/dystopian-wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [182] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.