Subject: Todd Sanders: Current Projects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: later [+] [View All]
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Aether Captains - Current Projects
how about re-doing it as brown and-cream, making it look like a drawing in old ink on ageing paper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering why the two of you were posting at the ungodly hour of 4:30 in the morning, when I realized where both of you were located, and it made much more sense, haha.

I think one of the reasons Todd is doing it in B & W specifically is because he already does a lot of that parchment style in his design. Look at Barbarian Prince and Citadel of Blood. In fact, I think an earlier comment by a BGGer pointed out he was happy for the change of pace from the "old parchment" look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed exactly

i will say i'll probably end up doing a colored version of the map (not a full bleed dense color sort of thing) but maybe just an alternate color map for those who want something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
indeed exactly

i will say i'll probably end up doing a coolored version of the map (not a full bleed dense color sort of thing) but maybe just an alternate color map for those who want something like that.

Yes, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
since i have access at my consulting job to an architectural plotter, i just printed the map up at 22x40. looks pretty damn cool! and definitely not cluttered at that size. i do think i can make at least a 25% reduction on size without losing readability or clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
since i have access at my consulting job to an architectural plotter, i just printed the map up at 22x40. looks pretty damn cool! and definitely not cluttered at that size. i do think i can make at least a 25% reduction on size without losing readability or clarity

The good thing about being B&W is that we can get it printed on the large-format printers at Office Max/Office Depot/Fedex Kinkos for just a couple of dollars (anything over 11"x17" in in color gets prohibitively expensive for most PnP projects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yes exactly tim.
it looks like maybe the A1 size will be the optimal to shoot for for the map. I'd like to make it big enough that counters can easily be moved from one place to the next. i kind of think a game you can play with 362 people should have a map that feels big

which is also something different for me since i usually try and design games to be compactly packaged and presented. it is fun to work on something big scale

i was telling scott recently i'd like this design to be mike doyle in feel since i admire his work very much. a compelling mix of visuals that push my design sensibilities in a new direction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
a solid 1.5 hours tonight on the Star Smuggler rules book as well as some work on the HoT map (another alternate idea to save some space)

i also took some photos of the large HoT map to give everyone an idea of the scale but BGG has temporarily shut down image uploads. so you will all have to wait.

now to go do something else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
profitable time at ritz camera today getting 5x7 photo prints made of everything for star smuggler (99 cents a print).

While Ritz is not known for good prices, I'm sure they do fine work. If you're looking for a better price, you might consider Costco. They charge 39 cents each, and the price falls to 34 cents at 100 prints (and if you decide to ramp up production the price drops to 29 cents at 500 or more). This is for gloss or "lustre" finish. This is a member-only price, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG image uploading is working again so here are the promised images from yesterday

2 shots of the HoT map at full size with some meeples and standard cards on it, so you can see how big the map is currently.

and another map configuration i am considering, taking a design idea from some of my other games and moving the card areas off the map itself. this allows me to have a framing element to the map. each of the 6 card areas on each side i could also do the gray tome in a gradation so that the gray gets darker successively. (again i've just moved elements quickly here so there are things that would be smoothed out and a little more space needs to be added around the map itself). these rectangular blocks could also be half circles which might lessen their visibility a little. with this configuration i can get the map down to about 22"x22" or 20" square if i shrink everything slightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 2 looks wonderful! Much better having the cards along the side. It also brings the map itself, with the constellations and the tree etc to the forefront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
further exploration of the off card layout. i think this one is the right true direction.

the circles balance/mirror everything well and the gradation of gray reads nicely on the page. i was able to even move the constellations apart a little and increase the size of the tree.

and though a small point, centering 3 of the realm icon wheels adds a subtle axis to the image balancing it

this map is 22x28

i could see a full color version of this making a nice game room poster too

and sean who just posted above me, yes agree with your comment. odin is squinty one-eyed smiling on this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you nailed it with this one. The half circles along the edges work so well because they are referencing the world circles (Jotunheim, Midgard, etc) and the season circles. There are no rectilinear forms anywhere in the design which leads to a very consistent overall feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooo, I must say, I really like that reiteration. The gradation is nice, the framing is nice, and you don't lose any of the constellation flavor. Most excellent! I vote for this one as well.

I'm loving the B & W (more than I initially thought I would actually), but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be one of the first to actually hang a color version of this on my wall. It ties into my love of mythology AND games! Win/win in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! :surprise:

I agree with all comments above. I especially like the small touch of having the tree roots trailing down into the season track and game title. Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks all! looks like we indeed have a winner. now on to the cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! I also really like the last version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome. Perchance you could make the "T" in "Thor" look like Mjolnir?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
no i am trying to stay away from that type of pictographic representation. his hammer will most likely show up in the icon schema i do for each of the card groups (for the aesir).

the watchwords for this design are -sparse- and -clean-

oh and welcome to all the new BGG subscribers to this forum thread. i appreciate you all checking in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
no i am trying to stay away from that type of pictographic representation. his hammer will most likely show up in the icon schema i do for each of the card groups (for the aesir).

the watchwords for this design are -sparse- and -clean-

Well, alrighty then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely don't mean to discount the idea of using thor's hammer in the title. i think i may have a solution because i do like the idea, just not doing it pictographically.

i could probably even add some lines to the bottom like a leather wrapped grip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
definitely don't mean to discount the idea of using thor's hammer in the title. i think i may have a solution because i do like the idea, just not doing it pictographically.

i could probably even add some lines to the bottom like a leather wrapped grip

Subtle and awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the hammer T is a good idea. So far the entire composition is symmetrical. That little bit of styling on one letter off to the far right of the page just kind of messes it up.

If you do want to represent the hammer, you could use a simple silhouette of a hammer behind or below the title. But I wouldn't mess with the letters themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't think the hammer T is a good idea. So far the entire composition is symmetrical. That little bit of styling on one letter off to the far right of the page just kind of messes it up.

The reverse S is inherently unbalanced. There are significantly more black tear shapes to the left of center than to the right. The only constellation not touching the tree is the Big Dipper off to the right. The markers for the seasons get progressively darker and heavier feeling from left to right. All of these things mess with the symmetry. One more, very slighht stylistic change doesn't throw the whole thing out of whack; the perception of symmetry is itself an illusion.

Oh, and I think the lines for the hammer are a nice touch.

Though I might just leave it like you had in the sample there rather than make it more obvious with lines for the handle. One of those little things for the perceptive folks to key on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
the basic positions of the realms, water drops and star symbols are derived from the original map which my work was overlayed on. there just happen to be more water areas left of center than right currently. another person has commented on the fact the realm positions dont match those in the myths.

i dont really want to stray that far from the original layout but as the design keeps evolving things will move somewhat even if i still maintain a reference/respect to the original.

part of my design process is to shelve things for awhile once i have a basic concept down. i can come back to it fresh and see things i may not have before.

i might be able to rotate the bottommost 4 realms counter clockwise somewhat and move midgard into the center more. this could result in a more pleasing symmetry since the bottom realms will help weigh the design visually, being distributed 2 to each side of the axis.

the debate is a good one. i went to architecture school and was used to the studio environment of critique and debate. miss that since i mostly work alone now. it is good always to have input from everyone. i have always been wowed by nick's illustrative talents.

both he and solclaim have good comments to pay attention to and opinions i appreciate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  33 , 34 , 35 , 36 , 37  Next »  [185] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.