United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My Current Projects
hrmm seems i am responsible for 15 of the top files n BGG for 2012, including 4th for my RPG

interestinkkk very interrestink
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Check out The Print and Play Games News Blog!
badge
Escape from Nooseneck High is Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
hrmm seems i am responsible for 15 of the top files n BGG for 2012, including 4th for my RPG

interestinkkk very interrestink

I thought I might make it into the top 100 but my top thumbed image missed making the list by 3 thumbs. Ah well, next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having no idea there was such a list. Could we get a link for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I was having no idea there was such a list. Could we get a link for it?

They are on the front page under Announcements!

Top Files of 2012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Check out The Print and Play Games News Blog!
badge
Escape from Nooseneck High is Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
They're just lists of what files, pictures, threads, geeklists, etc received the most thumbs. Nate, you might be interested to know that the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest was one of the top 100 threads. I imagine you might do the same this year with the Two Player Design contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
time for some updates and new things

first of all, i've finished the tarot deck i began late last year. my girlfriend, and resident tarot expert, is writing a small accompanying booklet which will be printed on the 11 extra cards that will be part of the deck order from Printerstudio.com. with PS now offering a tarot sized card as well, i've gone and re-proportioned all the cards to match the size.

the deck has gone through a lot of design changes as we've worked in the triads and added some of the older names for some of the major cards

1st two rows are the major arcana
last 4 rows, the minor arcana and court cards
card sitting by itself is the card back

nextly, i was going to wait but eh.. why not put this out for our little forum now.

i am going to be entering the 2013 Express/In a Tin contest when it begins next month. i had a bit of a bee in my bonnet and spent a rather intensive 6 or 7 hours on saturday doing an express version of 7 Wonders, rethemed in a future science fiction narrative (and including nods to a lot of my favorite books)

this is a compact, tile based edition called "SpaceMarvels 6 Express" and uses icons from game-icons.net. will support 2-4 players. i've simplified the rules somewhat for the express version. players will need a d12 and d20 to track credits and VP in the game. i chose those dice because hey are the most planetary looking. the 'marvel' boards feature some of chesley bonestell's artwork and i've included a list of all the references in the game. i am not yet sure if everything is balanced, or if it even needs to be but that will come with some playtesting once the contest starts and i can open a WIP thread (if they'll let me enter the game as well since i kind of did it in advance of the contest)

nate kurth is to blame for this particular bonnet bee because he requested the game over in the contest thread.

images below include the player aid sheet of icons and all the tiles + marvel boards. i just printed a copy of everything at work today so i'll be crafting up a set to give it a go.

i do have a copy of all the files + rules up on my server for any interested early adopters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to give Space Marvels 6 Express a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic Todd. I played 7 Wonders once and it was pretty fun. I'd like to give this one a whirl. I like your use of the game-icons.net stuff. That (and thenounproject.com) is a tremendously helpful site for prototypes. And I particularly like the Nasa concept art you used for the Niven Ring. That has been a favorite illustration of mine for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yes those NASA concept are a lot of fun.

i'll craft up a copy for myself tonight and give it a testplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a sneak peek of it earlier and am very impressed! It's small too, easy game to travel with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fine. Printer is on standby. I picked 7Ws a while back and I'm still waiting to break it out. The 'kids' were a little daunted by it so an express edition may be just the kick they need to play the full one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
the main changes from the original game are:

purple guild cards are all shuffled in with the third age
simplified scoring for science
simplified conflict scoring for military
six cards for two and three players
eight cards for four players (due to a standard 24cards each age)
only one side to each wonder board

two player rules use a dummy hand, each age one of the players picks up a dummy hand, randomly discards one card and uses that hand instead

and scott it right the tiles are small. this is definitely an express version. my printed copy seems readable though. all the icons can be differentiated. wanting to craft my copy to see what small box i can stick it in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i can throw the rules up in the forum if anyone wants to see

by the way the boards cut down into three sections just to keep the game compact. anyone crafting can of course keep them whole as well

a possible rule i am considering is X (maybe 4) credits to buy any resource lacking (vs buying it for 1 or 2 credits from your neighbor) from the bank. this is probably the most divergent rule from 7 Wonders but in this shorter game, there is less of a chance to build out the resource engine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
just played a quick two handed game

final scores

mars terraform: 39
generation ship: 31

the generation ship elected to build a very heavy military of 16 icons to the peaceful mars terraformers who only had 4 icons

the game does play like 7 wonders. age 1 cards are fairly easy to build

the mars terraformer board is the easiest to build i think and gives an ok in game credit boost

i do need to add to the player aid sheet that the trade tiles offering a credit gain are one time only, unlike the resources which are gained each turn

craftingwise it is an easy game to build. had everything glued and cut in about five minutes. front to back alignment seems good

will wait to see what others think

i think i might lightly tone the back of each set of age tiles separately to make it easier to sort them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
and no, buying resources from the bank does not seem to be a viable idea. makes things too easy

making some adjustments to the tiles based on what i've learned. adding an icon on bonuses which have a when first built gain vs. those which give you a bonus each turn.

basically i am trying to keep the rules to one page, with the players aid on the reverse side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i've made some adjustments, so any early downloaders may want to re-download the file

color tone added to the backs of all age tiles
one time only icon added for certain bonuses
a few icons added to the players aid sheet to make things clearer
orange and red colors tweaked to provide more difference (should help the color blind folks too)

and for those designers curious about how colorblind folks see these tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great - but some of the icons are a bit confusing. Maybe these make more sense when you're playing the game, but I'm stumbling a bit on them reading the rules.

The "choose one of three resources" icon should have lines between the choices as the "choose one of two" resources icon does.

I'd like the organization icon to always be purple. Seeing it in the other colors is like those images of the word 'blue' printed in red.

If the arrangement of the building prerequisite icons doesn't have any significance, they should have one standard arrangement. I notice that the four-prerequisite tiles have icons arranged three different ways.

Sorry if these seem nitpicky, but I can't help noticing patterns - or their absence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for having a look. some comments on your comments

1. yes you are right about the choose 3 resources icon. i'll go today and change that

2. the colors on the organization tiles are for which tiles you score for at game's end. i had first though for readability sake to color the large organization icon in the corresponding tile type color but i'll swap that for the correct icon

3. the arrangement does have significance. the bar above is the next item(s) in the chain, the bar below is the previous item

revised icons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
3. the arrangement does have significance. the bar above is the next item(s) in the chain, the bar below is the previous item

I'm sorry - I meant the resources needed in the top left. The tiles that require four resources aren't all arranged the same way.

For example, Encyclopedia Galactica has the fourth resource in line with the second resource; Particle Beam has it between the second and third; and Affinity Twin has it between the first and second.

As far as I can tell from the rules, they all play the same. But the different arrangements of the icons made me think they played differently.

The other changes look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ah i see. i'll go back and have a look. some of them are moved around due to an issue of space but i may be able to rejigger things some

yes i'll shift them all to the bottom position

uploading a new version to my server in a few minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for catering to the anally retentive as well as the color-blind.

Do the purple tiles give you points for your own purple tiles as well as your neighbors'? If not, then the organization icon probably isn't necessary at all on those. Just have the relevant icon with neighbor arrows modified by the VP award. Now, Deep Field Telescope does give your points for your own purple tiles (correct?), so that icon makes sense.

One more thing... You use two different icons to represent "any Raw Materials/Technologies" - the three overlapping icons one (as on LaGrange Station) and the orange/tan sunrise one (as on Charon Enclave). Can those be consolidated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
Thank you for catering to the anally retentive as well as the color-blind.

i try. don't always succeed but at least there are icons as well to help.

marcnelsonjr wrote:
Do the purple tiles give you points for your own purple tiles as well as your neighbors'? If not, then the organization icon probably isn't necessary at all on those. Just have the relevant icon with neighbor arrows modified by the VP award. Now, Deep Field Telescope does give your points for your own purple tiles (correct?), so that icon makes sense.

no just your neighbors. i've changed the icons for those so that the large icons are now the purple organization one and the smaller centered ones are which tiles they apply to. all of the organizations as thematic (hopefully) in what resources are needed and for what they give in bonuses.

yes the Deep field telescope gives you 1VP for every purple tile in your tableau

marcnelsonjr wrote:
One more thing... You use two different icons to represent "any Raw Materials/Technologies" - the three overlapping icons one (as on LaGrange Station) and the orange/tan sunrise one (as on Charon Enclave). Can those be consolidated?

it is one icon - resources, in 2 flavors - raw materials and technologies

Lagrange/Armstrong let you buy any of the raw materials.
Platform One lets you buy any of the technologies.

so these are in fact different.

Charon gives you 1VP for each raw material resource tile
Galatea gives you 1VP for each technology resource tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
and here are some photos of last night's finished (and compact) build. i'll print out a new updated set of tiles tomorrow and re-craft it.

by the way i love these containers. i get them at the grocery store, there are roughly 3"x5" in size and about 1.25" deep so they'll fit wooden cube dice as well as many other things. a standard 8.5"x11' sheet of paper folds down quite nicely too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
with some gentle nudging from Marc, i think we're close on this

all the tiles, corrected icons, tweaked colors, altered icon explanation text

i've played a few more times and there aren't any huge swings pro or con with one Marvel board vs another

i might go now and do a few extra Marvel boards for fun, pick some of the more dystropic narratives from my bookshelves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
a couplea more devious marvels as a special bonus for beta testers while i work the bugs out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  64 , 65 , 66 , 67 , 68  Next »  [182] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.