Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this fast simple game but I know people can feel shafted by their starting cities at times. Here is a solution. Drafting.

Get a set of plain matching envelopes and place one set of coloured city cards in each one and mix them up on the table. Each player takes one envelope and chooses a city, returning the rest of the cards to the envelope and placing it back in the middle of the table. After all the envelopes are back, players choose another envelope. (If someone gets an envelope they already chose from the envelopes are returned and redrawn). When all players have a city of each colour, play as normal.

If you want to handicap the game because one player keeps winning, they could miss out on the first round of choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Similar to a five player drafting variant proposed by the publisher.

Quote:
Here is a non-random 5 player setup:

Each player gets a set of cards (Example: Pete gets the Red cards)

Each player chooses a card from their deck and passes the deck to the player on their left. (Example: Pete takes a red card and passes the remaining red cards to Dave (on his left) and gets the green cards from Vince (on his right)

This continues until each player has their 5 different color cards. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Andrew's idea better than the pass. You can write the color of the cards on the envelope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon even with drafting I would end up with a Big W of cities. It's really the whole point of the game, all starting hands are bad, there's a reason it has pride of place at 1st position on my geeklist Games where the initial deal or position does *not* make you say *I can do great things with this* but instead makes you say things that would make the competitors at the Pirates Extreme Cursing World Championships bow down with envy and admiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rhoads
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both ways seem worthwhile. The envelopes seem a little superfluous to me, except that I guess it's supposed to be random which envelope you get to pick from - that is probably a good idea.

Thinking out loud, you could use the draft mechanism to balance the game just a little by letting the player in last place have first choice of which color to draft from. I guess that could get fiddly, though, which isn't what this game wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.