Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was persuing the Crimson Skies stuff available and unavailable on Amazon.com, and I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Crimson-Skies-Squadron-Pack-Black/dp/1...

Now that is a seriously messed up plane. I know, I know, if you never played the original Crimson Skies game from FASA, then the fighter in that picture probably looks just fine to you. If you are familiar with the FASA game though, then like me you may have noticed that the guns are on backwards.

The thing is, the plane in the photo doesn't look finished. It's got no propeller and no clix base, so I'm not sure if it's simply a pic of a failed production model or if that is indeed where the guns are placed on the Black Swan fighters in the WK's squadron packs that still sell occasionally on Ebay. And I can't tell for certain in this next picture if the planes are the same way or not:

They look more accurate to the old source material with their guns in the right places, but I can't tell for certain, and I'd like to be sure before I try and nab a pack of them on Ebay.

Can anyone who has actually got any of these Black Swan planes please confirm if they do look just like the pic from Amazon.com or not?

Thank you for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
Can anyone who has actually got any of these Black Swan planes please confirm if they do look just like the pic from Amazon.com or not?

No, they don't look like that. In the Amazon image, as you said, there's no propeller and no clix base – also, the base shown has the same shape as the actual one (except for the lack of the clix base beneath), but colors are different. The round base should be black, and the stand should be transparent. But the real mess is the body: wings and guns look just fine, but the body is reversed. Also, the nose maybe looks a tiny bit thicker than what it should be.

On the left, the Amazon image; on the right, a picture of one of my own Black Swan Ravens I just took. (Hey, I'm becoming quite good with this GIMP thing! ) By the way, in my picture you can't see the starboard guns because they're behind the body, but they're just there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle W.
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Now appearing in Jurassic World! (Not really)
badge
How Me Grimlock get geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
That picture from Amazon looks like a bad kitbash, because the entire wing assembly is on backwards.

The model either fell apart or they took it apart and then they reversed it, possibly because they didn't realize that the Raven is supposed to be a "pusher", not a "puller". It looks like it was repainted too.

I don't know why they would have used that for the representative image on Amazon instead of an unmodified plane.

The actual Ravens in the package look like the one Paolo posted on the right. It's a little difficult to see in the picture of the sealed pack posted up above, but the Ravens (the two in the bottom of the package) are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!! I really appreciate it! Now they're back on my to acquire list. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
Thanks guys!! I really appreciate it! Now they're back on my to acquire list. thumbsup

Gotta warn you (as you likely already know): this squadron ain't cheap.

(I lucked out a couple of years ago and found this squadron pack sitting on the shelf of a FLGS in Longwood, Florida, for regular retail price).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they're definitely pricey. That's what was bothering me about that Amazon picture. As a longtime customer of the old Wizkids, I saw an awful lot of misprints come and go with their products, so it was certainly plausible that they might have messed up the fighters' sculpts and still sold them that way. And I'd hate to have spent a fair chunk of change on the Black Swans pack only to have gotten expensive mistakes.

But since the fighters in the packs are fine, it'll be worth it. If I buy those same miniatures as unassembled metal minis, it'll still be at least forty to fifty bucks, and I'll then have to glue them together and paint them. With a Black Swans Squadron Pack, most of the work will already be done for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.