Subject: more rules questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marco vazquez
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I gotta agree with a few people in that the instructions to this game makes no sense and in that the examples used in the instruction are not great as well..might have helped if the instrucions were in color.

My question is this, when you are forced to play a sacrifice card (when you can't follow suit), do you turn this card over when all the poistion has been filled and then determined who gets the card?

I know that if the sacrifice card is a atrillery, Cavalry or Scouts that their special maneuvers cannot be used..but I'm still confused as to who gets what card. I think whoever wrote the instruction is confused as one example shows one player claiming a green general due to his artillery being played on the left flank..but then in a few sentence down it says sometime like..his green general capturing somebody else left flank. How can this player Green General captured somebode else left flank if his card was captured by the somebody else who played an artillery card. I thought once your card was captured, you couldn't capture somebody else card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:more rules questions.
madvaz (#476419),
I second your opinion. I also believe the example you are referring to in the rules is incorrect. This does nothing but confuse matters even further. There's got to be a simpler way to present the rules for this game which is nothing more than 3 handed Whist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Gibson
Lesotho
Maseru
msg tools
Will play any game... especially for wine or espresso.
badge
An Australian in Africa.
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is this, when you are forced to play a sacrifice card (when you can't follow suit), do you turn this card over when all the poistion has been filled and then determined who gets the card?

I believe the answer is YES.
At the end of the round, its turned over and if its the highest trump, it wins. If its just an off-suit, it doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco vazquez
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
djlg (#477021),

well that sort of helps me understand the rules better..We tried to play this last night but we still had many questions regarding to who wins what, and following the special rules is still not clear..I'm just frustrated that I still don't understand the rules and it's taking me this long to get a clear understanding of how the game is played...Maybe somebody can put together a nice color rules set with plenty of examples to show people how a trick is clamined...

However, I still feel this game is going to be good once I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Battle Beyond Space Status: Hit Distribution. In stores end of the week.
mbmbmbmbmb
madvaz (#477341),

Aye. The rules are not as clear as they could be. I learned the game from the rules, and got it. But I've played every advanced wacky trick taking variant on the planet.

The core idea is simple: There are three tricks being played at the same time. The winner of each trick is either the highest Trump played to that trick, or the highest card of the led suit if no trumps have been played.

The twists are: 1. Artillery may remove a card before the winner of each trick is determined. 2. Cavalry override any General--but ONLY if the Cavalry was the last card played to that trick AND no trumps were played.

All cards *ARE* turned faceup before the trick winning determination happens.

I'm going to stare at the rules about the example. I seem to remember that there was an error that was introduced in one of the examples during layout.

Moo,
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham (#478957),

I've got the German version of the rules on me...

The difficult part is the RIGHT Flank trick. Ordinarily Bob's play of the Blue 2 Star General would win. (It is the highest card of the led suit. No trumps was played.) However, Alan played an Artillery card, and his Yellow A4 removes that Blue 2 Star General before you even begin to look at high cards.

Moo,
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco vazquez
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
fbranham (#478957),

Thanks for the trick explainations! This will be a great deal of help. My only question is this..So let's say I play a red Artillery card on my right flank..So does this mean I only take the the player to my right "the Left flank" card or do I collect his "right flank card"?

and let's say the last card played was a Cavalry on the "right flank" and no trumps were played..Does this player collects everybody "Right Flank cards" or only the player to his right "right flank card".

I'm still confuse as to when a players collects more than one card..I believe in the example of the instruction a player plays a trump in the center flank and collects all the center cards? Is this true for other cards or only for trumps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Gibson
Lesotho
Maseru
msg tools
Will play any game... especially for wine or espresso.
badge
An Australian in Africa.
mbmbmbmbmb
madvaz wrote:
So let's say I play a red Artillery card on my right flank..So does this mean I only take the the player to my right "the Left flank" card or do I collect his "right flank card"?

You take his LEFT flank card.

and let's say the last card played was a Cavalry on the "right flank" and no trumps were played..Does this player collects everybody "Right Flank cards" or only the player to his right "right flank card".

Everybody's right flank cards.

The artillery just grabs the single card its shooting at.
Everything else (highest card, trumps, play of cavalry as the last card of a trick) determines who wins the trick. That is, who wins every remaining card on that flank.

I'm still confuse as to when a players collects more than one card..I believe in the example of the instruction a player plays a trump in the center flank and collects all the center cards? Is this true for other cards or only for trumps?

True for all cards with the exception of the card "shot" by the artillery.
Note that, as well as taking the single card, artillery could also win the trick if every other card was less than a 4 and no trumps were played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco vazquez
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I think I almost got this game down now..my only concern is this..the rule book states that all sacrificed regiments are routed unless the sacrificed card is a trump card..so at the end when all sacrificed cards are turned over and none of them are trump..do they go into a discard pile or do they get claimed by a player..For example I play a red artillery on my right flank and the person on the right of me has a sacrificed card on his left flank..Do I claim his Left flank sacrificed card or nobody gets it?

I think the rules should include some sort of example (like a picture) explaining how sacrificed card work and how they are claimed..We still did not know who won the sacrificed cards...

I really hope they update the rule book soon and post it on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Rule Question if I may...
Hello,
Despite some initial confusion with the rules, this is a great game and I really enjoy playing it. Last night we came across a situation that we couldn't find an answer to, so here goes!

Let's say I have Yellow Left, Green Center, and Red Right. I have no yellow cards, one green artillery, and I've already played a red card to my Right. It is my play. Do I *have* to play my green card and shoot my partner or can I sacrifice my green card and play it on my yellow left flank?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First for marco: Sacrificed cards work just like an off suit play in any other trick taking game. Sacrificed cards are captured by artillery before anything else happens.

Sacrificed cards that are trumps take the trick (if it is the highest trump). Sacrificed cards that are not the led suit are still captured, but cannot capture.

As to Master Weary's question, you CAN play the card as a sacrifice. I've done exactly the same thing before to get rid of a suit card so that I can trump the trick in that color.

Moo,
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your prompt response sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Well... You are at least a scholar.

It is nice to know that I do not have to subject my partner to friendly fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Walt Mulder wrote:
There's got to be a simpler way to present the rules for this game which is nothing more than 3 handed Whist.

While I agree that the rules are nearly incomprehensible, I would disagree with the emphasized part of your statement. The use of the cavalry, the artillery, and the scouts, the determination of trump, and the determination of turn order all contribute to making the game much more complicated than Whist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fried
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gashlycrumb wrote:
Hello,
Despite some initial confusion with the rules, this is a great game and I really enjoy playing it. Last night we came across a situation that we couldn't find an answer to, so here goes!

Let's say I have Yellow Left, Green Center, and Red Right. I have no yellow cards, one green artillery, and I've already played a red card to my Right. It is my play. Do I *have* to play my green card and shoot my partner or can I sacrifice my green card and play it on my yellow left flank?

Whoa. I don't follow Franks's response to this question.

Frank says:

Quote:
As to Master Weary's question, you CAN play the card as a sacrifice. I've done exactly the same thing before to get rid of a suit card so that I can trump the trick in that color.

If the Green is the lead in the Center, then the Green can't be the trump. But more importantly, I don't read the basic sacrifice rule to permit someone to sacrifice if they can otherwise follow the lead. With the hand Weary describes, I think he has to play green center... if not, can someone explain why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fried
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gashlycrumb wrote:
Thank you for your prompt response sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Well... You are at least a scholar.

It is nice to know that I do not have to subject my partner to friendly fire.

"Though a player may play an artillery card into the center of the battlefield, the artillery's special maneuver is ignored when playing with a partner. A player never bombs his own ally."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.