Sceadeau D'Tela
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
Sceadeau wrote:

I'll be GM'ing Egizia -- it's a trial event, so come on by and help keep this game in the rotation!

Question for you regarding this -- will there be any tournament rules regarding the 1 per 10 sphinx card and the Draw + 2 sphinx Nile card? I know the 1/10 point card has been scrutinized a ton regarding it's potential for unbalance.

I believe I made it a rule that the 1/10 card is taken out if all players agree. Meaning that in the normal rounds some people might argue, but I couldn't imagine a semi or a final where someone insists that card exists.

After 200 plays, I don't find the +2 sphinx card to be terribly game breaking. It is quite powerful, but only its appearance as one of the first 3 cards out in the first round does it really skew towards random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sceadeau D'Tela
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helios180 wrote:
Sceadeau wrote:
Sceadeau D'Tela

6 days (Tuesday - Sunday) though I may be able to be convinced to increase that to all the days.
See you guys there.

Glad to see you'll be making it Sceadeau. I'd say just go ahead and come for the entire event.

Talk to you later,
Josh

Well, if you insist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sceadeau wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:
Sceadeau wrote:

I'll be GM'ing Egizia -- it's a trial event, so come on by and help keep this game in the rotation!

Question for you regarding this -- will there be any tournament rules regarding the 1 per 10 sphinx card and the Draw + 2 sphinx Nile card? I know the 1/10 point card has been scrutinized a ton regarding it's potential for unbalance.

I believe I made it a rule that the 1/10 card is taken out if all players agree. Meaning that in the normal rounds some people might argue, but I couldn't imagine a semi or a final where someone insists that card exists.

After 200 plays, I don't find the +2 sphinx card to be terribly game breaking. It is quite powerful, but only its appearance as one of the first 3 cards out in the first round does it really skew towards random.

I just saw the event preview online - Sounds good. I'm looking forward to playing this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the schedule up I hope that everyone looking for something to do Monday will pencil in the round of Formula De that I added to Monday's event schedule.

See you Monday at 4pm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you schedule a Monday formula de event? I'm not so sure I can play now since a single win without playing in two heats won't be good enough to move on. Have to play Union Pac. Of course, if it were held in the morning....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
Why did you schedule a Monday formula de event? I'm not so sure I can play now since a single win without playing in two heats won't be good enough to move on. Have to play Union Pac. Of course, if it were held in the morning....

Boo Hoo! cry

Choices are tough sometimes! If I counted the number of times I couldn't play an event at the WBC because another favorite was up against it.... it is probably close to the amount of the national debt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to be a jerk. geez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Freeman
United States
Richboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curt,

I think the main point is that a GM's first responsibility is to his/her event, not to specific individuals, so you'll need to forgive those who feel no sympathy for you when you confuse what is good for YOU as good for the event. (and then complain about it)

Adding a third heat is a no brainer win as far as helping make sure Formula De stays in the Century.

Secondly, it is worse when your complaint has little merit. Winners will not advance only in the event that there are more winners than there are places in the final (and all show up), so I think it is unlikely that a win will not get you into the final unless the attendance is well beyond what it has been in the past. Plus, you are one of those able to take advantage of the third heat. If there were no third heat, you would've played one during the normal week. Now you can ALSO play in the Monday one if you choose and not rely on winning the one later. (but you don't have too)

It is those that show up just for the regular con hours that might have some complaint (but not really).

Lastly, it is precisely this sort of self-centered whining that occasionally gives our beloved con a bad name. That's why some have little patience for it.

This is not to say there in nothing that can be improved. Far from it, (everything can be improved), but let's focus on the real problems, ok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,
I didn't intend to change Joshs mind. I just saw it and thought "damnit, there goes that event". On the bright side, now I can play amun re, and possibly vegas showdown. Originally I had 4 events that I wanted to play in every year. El grande, vinci, amun re, and formula de. Vinci isn't played anymore, and el grande has the best schedule of any event at the con. Amun re jumps around from year to year and I couldn't play in 2010, and formula de seems to be in conflict with it every year as well.

The reason I liked the formula de event (aside from enjoying it enough to have my own league) was that there were no semi finals. The problem is that with 2 heats, the last couple of years there were 10 total games. There are only 10 spaces in the finals. So, when you have a third heat, now you likely have winners that can't advance. The rules on the website say that a first, and having played in another heat will be considered higher than a 1st and no other plays. So to get in, you really need to play 2 games, and take up to 6 hours doing so. On top of it, the first heat is during union pacific, something that can only be played at that time, and the third heat is against the el grande advanced rounds. I've had to 'make the call' before, and will likely have to again, but as one of the games I like to play every year it's really disappointing that it would now be a long shot to advance even if I did win my one heat.

I just don't get the open hostility towards a simple statement. The GM knows I play every year, he posts on the boards here, I don't know. I've met some really great people at WBC. I've also met with hostility and all it takes is one comment and you're suddenly "one of those guys" and treated as if you've done something that makes them really mad.

Now if you want to talk about something that could really be improved... events all day Tuesday..... Though in that I'm pretty sure they aren't willing to change either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
You don't have to be a jerk. geez.

That makes two of us!

The GM adds a heat to improve the popularity of his event and your response was to complain that it's harder for ME to win. Your response to Eric isn't any better.

Why would anyone want to be a GM if all they get are self-serving complaints like yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is a roll call, maybe we can get it back on theme . . . we're going to scare all the newbs away! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
Germany
Stuttgart-Plieningen
BW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, you're scaring me away, and I'm the assistant convention director

Perhaps we need to remember that most people are usually not really as critical as they seem in print.

Complaining about the schedule is just par for the course. Nobody can please all the people all of the time. No need to take offense--just nod and say, "Yeah...that sucks!"

Everyone I know finds ways to fill up their schedule and have fun at WBC--through tournaments, open gaming, visiting with friends, and even sleeping or swimming or playing golf occasionally

By the way, anyone who is really unhappy with the schedule, should chat with the GMs of the events in question to try to sort things out for the next year. Also, I'll bet you can find someone in open gaming who wants to get in a match of the game you missed.

I look forward to seeing all of you there!

Kaarin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kengelma wrote:

Everyone I know finds ways to fill up their schedule and have fun at WBC--through tournaments, open gaming, visiting with friends, and even sleeping or swimming or playing golf occasionally

whoa, hold on one second.

people sleep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All i ever intended was a 'poke in the ribs' whine that now I had to redo my schedule to maximize my wood chances.

And no. I don't sleep at the con

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
All i ever intended was a 'poke in the ribs' whine that now I had to redo my schedule to maximize my wood chances.

One tip for maximizing your chances: Don't quit tournament games in the middle of a heat. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

Why would anyone want to be a GM if all they get are self-serving complaints like yours?

Babes. They dig GMs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:
rri1 wrote:

Babes. They dig GMs.

So THAT'S your secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kengelma wrote:

Sleep? You're risking your gamer cred there, Kaarin.

Even if you don't play Werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let everyone know. As the GM of Formula De, the event Curt is "complaining" about adding the extra heat, I know that he did not intend for it to be a shot in anger towards me for adding another round. He already has a full schedule and every year that I run the event we talk about how he wasn't sure if he would get to play or not.

It's truly a case of having an embarassment of riches at the WBC, too many games to play everything you want.

That being said the ability to add a limited number of events on Monday arose, a response to the membership feedback that there was little to do on Monday. I volunteered to add an extra Heat of Formula De to the schedule.

The last two years the event has been in the 55-60 player range. In an effort to get more players and solidify FDE in the Century I believe that having the extra heat will prove beneficial to the event as a whole.

If possible I am still going to try to have only 10 unique race winners through the course of 3 heats, this will mean having boards run at a higher capacity. In the past I have needed to stretch the field out over 4-6 boards per heat with 5-7 players per board. With three heats I will try to have fewer boards with more players per board.

So it is still possible to win a single race and advance. All of the breakdowns is purely speculative at this point. I just try to plan the best event I can and run it in a way that allows it to be accessible to new players and as streamlined as possible. I allow players to sit at tables of their choosing, only moving them (if they volunteer to be moved) to make all the tables have ~equal players in each round.

I didn't take offense to Curt's comments and neither should anyone else.

Don't forget to register and vote for the BPA Board of Directors. Your vote makes the difference.

See you in Lancaster,
Joshua Githens
BPA Board of Directors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
upfront2000 wrote:

How much fun can this WBC be?

They have a pre-con event -- perhaps we should have a post-con event that runs an extra week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to arrive Monday c. noon.

Games on the competitive agenda:

Warriors of God
A House Divided
Washington's War

Games to Play:

No Retreat! The Russian Front
Age of Steam

Games to Hopefully Learn to Play:

High Frontier
Origins: How We Became Human
Empire of the Sun
Bonaparte at Marengo/Napoleon's Triumph

EDIT CHANGE: I now plan to arrive Saturday morning ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
upfront2000 wrote:
I blame Kaarin because it isn't time yet.

I will also Blame Kaarin for it not being time yet.

upfront2000 wrote:
How much fun can this WBC be?

Of course Andy is joking here, but for those that have not attended, it is hard to put into words the amount of fun to be had. Visiting with longtime friends, meeting new friends, and playing games for an entire week cannot be beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:
I plan to arrive Monday c. noon.

Games on the competitive agenda:

Warriors of God
A House Divided
Washington's War

Evan, the Warriors of God tournament starts Monday at 1000. That's earlier than I will arrive, alas. Perhaps I can play it in open gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to keep up to date on WBC happenings.

My plan was to get there Tuesday, as I had done every year since I started going. Then I found out that 'regular' (non Pre-Con) events start on Monday.

Now I gotta figure out if (a) my membership includes Monday, and (b) the motel I'm staying at has the previous night open.

Honestly, I don't see myself coming on Sunday (though it's very tempting to get in on Through the Ages), but I'll figure that out eventually.

GMing Caylus again; I'm still amazed that it made the Century list; hopefully there won't be so many conflict issues this year (HA HA!).

Two other games for me are 'must play': Le Havre (assist-GMing) and Agricola.

Other games I'll use to 'fill in the spaces': Brass, Ra, Puerto Rico, Vegas Showdown, Fresco, and whatever else I'm in the mood for at the time.

I would try Egizia, but seeing that Goa has been dropped and Alex will likely fill that hole in his '1sts' collection with that, my psyche needs to avoid that. (Not that that stops me from competing in Ra; came damn close last year.)

The biggest decision I have right now is, am I willing to undergo another summer of torture (i.e., high-school summer-school teaching) in order to have some spending money and breathing room in the family budget. It gets harder each year to talk myself into it, but again, I'll figure it out once late-June rolls around.

See you all there in August!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 days (arriving late on Sunday). The only definite schedule item is that I will be GMing Yspahan.
I'll try to fit in as many games as possible of course, but not all tournaments.
I'll be laughably defending my Liar's Dice title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.