Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, in all my years of war gaming I have never played a single game from the Folio Series, not sure why, but since DG has released 18 games from the series again, I was wondering if someone can enlighten me a bit more about the 18 games that are available? (I understand that there are many others on the fence for the lack of information too.)

I haven't been able to collate a coherent picture of the quality of these games and especially this particular DG rendition of the series from the internet, probably because there are so many of them, so the information is pretty "all over the place". I hope to get a more definitive thread going here on people's thoughts about the games in the series and the series as a whole.

Things like: What do you think of this series overall? What is the quality of the counters and maps in this DG version like? Which are your favorites & why? Which are duds & why? Is the whole series at $299 worth getting? Are we better off just picking a few from the list? Which ones would you pick if you didn't buy them all?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I have tried is Showdown: The Coming Indo-Pakistani War, so I can't comment on the series as a whole.

The map is good and functional. Counters are good quality. What interested me was that the same ruleset can be used for different games (a bit "a la SCS"). The rules are well done, the game is easy to learn and plays well solitaire. Not sure there is much replayability after a few tries though, but for a 20$ price tag, it's still worth the price of entry.

I couldn't find too much information on the series either and think this thread is a good idea. I mainly relied on the "comments" section here on BGG to get a bit of an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos A. L. de Miranda
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mb
Eric,

Same here, never played one of the Folio Games. I did, however bought two of the new ones, Cauldron is already in may hands and Chickamauga is on its way.

What follows is based only on Cauldron

I liked the overall quality of the components, the playing pieces are nicely printed, although the color choice maybe contested as the axis and allies have confusing colors. The map (maybe half the size of an S&T map) is of good quality, and the rules of good quality too.

I haven't played it yet, but am looking forward to doing soo.

Overall, I think I'll buy some more of them, certainly I'll buy Crusader.

calm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
I have played the Marengo, Shiloh and Frayser's Farm folios and I'm kind of disappointed. I admit that part of it has to do with what I was hoping the games would be. I was hoping for an updated version of Blue & Grey and Napoleon at War that would keep most the simplicity of these games and update the mechanics somewhat. For me, these games are considerably more complex

Agreed. I played Shiloh, and was hoping for "simple and fun" thinking it would be a useful tool for helping noobies get "into" wargaming...

Well, the chrome that was applied to the Blue and Gray system was excessively "busy" for the "buck." There were a lot of bits that just seemed to be "layered rules" that were "too small" as in, they just didn't seem to "play out" on the table well.

I was hoping for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any of them yet, but I've watched some being played and the players seemed to be enjoying them. The component quality seemed standard for DG games, which is to say not bad in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

I haven't been able to collate a coherent picture of the quality of these games

yeah,me neither. There seems to be little information around for a series this large, even when you try to put together the individual comments on BGG. Maybe I'll try one of their titles about the North African Campaign at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
...realize that you'll probably mis-play some rules in your first few games (I know I did)...

Sounds like just about every game I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
LeeDambis wrote:
For what they attempted, they're a failure. The front of each folio includes the phrase "Minutes to Learn. Quick to Play. Historically Accurate." The first two points are an attempt to pull in the "beer and pretzels" crowd who have always enjoyed the original SPI quads (chiefly Napoleon at War and Blue & Gray).

They sure had me convinced. I wrote 'em off on those phrases alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wright
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking through Musket and Saber, and playing a few turns of Chickamauga, subtlety abounds. What this means are two things:
1. One is not sure whether the scope of the games really accommodates it.
2. One is not sure whether the end result, which is hard to grasp, will hold together in any case.

These are not horrible things. The games do not obviously suck, and that has some upside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
Garfink wrote:

I haven't been able to collate a coherent picture of the quality of these games

yeah,me neither. There seems to be little information around for a series this large, even when you try to put together the individual comments on BGG. Maybe I'll try one of their titles about the North African Campaign at some point.

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a video review! The consensus about the games mentioned so far isn't great... sounds like a series of old games with revised old game rules but without the nostalgia...

But there are 18 of them, so there must be a gem in the pile! Anyone play those Korean ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! Not enough counters is never a good thing... The advertising is kind of nostalgic of the 70s though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering the same thing. I love the idea of the series - relatively simple ruleset that covers a lot of battles. I just ordered one from Musket and Sabre (Stones River) and one from Fire and Movement (Arnhem) so I can try both main systems (I'll try the ancients line if they come out with more battles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Anyone play those Korean ones?

I played DMZ: The Next Korean War from the folio series and I wasn't pleased.
The map is boring but functional (although some places don't really excist and others have been misplaced, but this is a minor issue for me), Counters are standard NATO style counters and of good quality.

The standard Fire and Movement rules are not complex, but it could have been written beter. DMZ specific rules are unclear and destroy much of the fun in the game.

The overrun rules are the only way to get any progress in the game, and I find it boring.
Using the CRT to win is impossible. It uses combat factor difference to resolve combat.
The maximum difference is 10 points, which in the Korean landscape will get you 50% change of knocking your opponent out of the hex, but also gives about a 30% change of killing your own units, without hurting your opponent.

I'll have to give it an other try (even with a different CRT) to be sure.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Daniels
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno...more rehash of tired titles from DG...Doc has always been one to attempt to maximize profit and minimize effort...no thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a shame, I was thinking of picking up the WW2 set of Folio's as I have a soft spot for Bastogne and Arnhem from the Westwall quad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread. I was thinking of getting a couple of these. Glad to hear so much info and opinions on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
High Krausen wrote:
I dunno...more rehash of tired titles from DG...Doc has always been one to attempt to maximize profit and minimize effort...no thanks

Sure. But no one was giving old classics the reprint they needed,
for a long time, other than DG. Can't blame someone for providing
a needed service and making a good margin on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone tried the Kasserine scenario? That's the one I've been considering getting as a way to try them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Avery
Australia
Mount Keira
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a seperate discussion point before the release...and stick by it...Im a sucker for the SPI quad folios My personal favs....and 18 new folios with new rule systems was a great idea
I agree with many here that the upgraded blue and gray/Napoleonic system isnt as user friendly as was hoped....but in return we get a fantastic upgraded modern battles system so it balanced out for me
Advise playing the modern battles fire and movement system ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, damnnit, I've read enough - I'm going to find out for myself! I've been looking at these for awhile now, especially the World War 2/modern games. Well, I just went on eBay and bought "Cauldron: Battle for Gazala"! Heck, for $23 including shipping and handling, you can't go very wrong. Once I get this, I'll check it out and let you guys know what I find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
OK, damnnit, I've read enough - I'm going to find out for myself! I've been looking at these for awhile now, especially the World War 2/modern games. Well, I just went on eBay and bought "Cauldron: Battle for Gazala"! Heck, for $23 including shipping and handling, you can't go very wrong. Once I get this, I'll check it out and let you guys know what I find.

Love it.... lamb to the slaughter.... thank you for your sacrifice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Avery
Australia
Mount Keira
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im sure youll come back with a positive response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to say I'm fairly pleased with them. I have not tried the ACW/Nappy era, but have played the following:

Okinawa - quick, very lite weight. Not much to do as the Japaneses player though so would skip.

India/Pakistain - Rather liked. Pakistani side is kinda limited, but there is enough replayability here for a handful of games.

Golan - best of the ones I've tried. Particualry with the additional "Drive on Damascus" rules that allow the Israelis a counter-offensive (or at least the threat of one)

I'm looking forward to trying the DMZ game as well.

Light weight, quick-playing, common rule set - think of them as wargaming junk food. Histroically accurate I have my doubts and as serious wargames I don't think so. But sometimes a familair quick snack is a good idea.

No way would I buy all 18 at $299. That is crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having owned Arnhem and Golan from the 70s I was intrigued and bought Aachen at a local store, the I played and reviewed it here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/593310/aachen-quick-revi...
My problem is that the games look like they weren't playtested as in the Aachen game there was a major deployment error for the first turn and I have no idea how people played it the first few months until it was fixed! The new Support Fire system is gamey at best and at the end I was left with the feeling that it could have been a great game with a little more work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyvek wrote:

Well, the chrome that was applied to the Blue and Gray system was excessively "busy" for the "buck." There were a lot of bits that just seemed to be "layered rules" that were "too small" as in, they just didn't seem to "play out" on the table well.

I was hoping for more.

Are there *any* Decision Games reprints which are superior to the originals? I've made it my mission to avoid DG at all costs based on what I hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.