Popular Tags: [View All]
The Gamp
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all,

I've just received the new expansion for Thunderstone and don't have any sleeves for the new set. The last time I ordered sleeves for my other Thunderstone sets I purchased the Mayday Standard sleeves. Now when I look for them, they seem to be sold out everywhere. Anyone know of a card sleeve that is pretty much identical to the Mayday Standards (green label)? I don't want to buy something only to be able to tell the difference between the two.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any sleeves sized for Magic:The Gathering (of which there are at last counts, 3,682 different varieties) will do.

If your Mayday sleeves are standard (non-premium) sleeves, visit your FLGS and ask for penny sleeves... they should have plenty of those.

If your Mayday ones are premium, try Fantasy Flight Games Supply.

In general you should watch out for sleeves that may have a small holographic seal on them (Ultra Pro) b/c the Mayday sleeves are completely clear. I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kadrie
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Any sleeves sized for Magic:The Gathering (of which there are at last counts, 3,682 different varieties) will do.

The trick is that Mayday's 'Card Game Sized' "Green" sleeves don't quite run a stock size, they're 63.5mm x 88mm, and 40 microns thick in 'Standard' and 90 microns in 'Premium'. ...
http://maydaygames.com/index.php/gaming-accessories/card-sle...

Looking at FantasyFlightGames equivelent 'Standard Card Game Pack' card, it's listed as the same size, but it's 100microns thick, much fatter card. (more expensive to boot $2.99/50).

Per this thread...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4649190#4649190
...other brands are the following thicknesses.
40 microns - Mayday Games
50 microns - TBG
80 micron - Arcane Tinmen
90 microns - Mayday Games Premium sleeves
100 microns - FFG, and possibly KMC, Dragon Shield, Ultra Pro Deck Protectors

Point is, there's really only overlap up in the 'premium' 100micron size.

So, back to my "MaydayGames Green" Sleeves:
I've got a a variety of games, several (like thunderstone) with open-expansion systems, which means an ongoing stable need for consistent sized sleeves.

And with the recent uproar on the Mayday Crokinole boards...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6441327#6441327
... today I'm seriously considering finding an alternative sleeve source.

And that leaves three choices:
a) Stay with Maydaygames and hope the board issues aren't endemic, and keep buying their sleeves for new games to come.
b) Find an alternative in the same 63.5x88 size and 40micron thickness (real long shot) .
c) Re-sleeve everything above in a different brand of sleeves. Really not something I care to think about.

The alternative 'd)', buying a different brand going forward for expansions against a game above, and effectively running a mixture of sleeve sizes in a given game, is a non-starter.

So the question to me becomes, "Who else makes a 63.5 x 88 sleeve, that's in a indistinguishably similar thickness to a Mayday Standard sleeve?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still think that a generic"penny sleeve" sized for magic the gathering is going to be indistinguishable from mayday's non premium sleeve. Go down to your local flgs and buy a pack. Sleeve 50 or 100 cards with the new sleeves and stack them up. It'll be close.

Or exercise option c with the help of several friends. It goes fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kadrie
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long-cold followup: On the subject of 'penny sleeves' standing in for Mayday Greens: Nope, they're not even close.

I ordered Ultradeck Penny sleeves, to sleeve up Acension and they're a complete miss. Probably 2.5mm to 3mm too wide and too tall, compared to the greens I used for years on everything from AEG's Thunderstone & Nightfall, to ResEvil and a variety of other games.

If Mayday's really out of the 'greens' business when it comes to these games, there's no good 40mil (non-premium) thickness sleeve I've found to date.
Sucks. a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy thread necromancy batman.

In my experience mayday's sleeves are great, however their production schedule is uneven. I'm a regular buyer of their premium line, and once or maybe twice a year they are out of distribution channel for a month or six weeks. My FLGS has compensated by ordering by the case and always having one in reserve. They still run out from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.