Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: reserve roll question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
catalin marin
Romania
bucharest
flag msg tools
what represents when you shoot for reserve roll a grenade and a star? do you get an elite unit at your choise(tnak or infantary) or you choose a normal unit for the grenade and the star is useless?

thank you,

catalin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
Belgium
Vosselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the grenade you can choose the unit, the star makes it elite. Artillery can never be elite. So you can choose:
- elite infantry
- elite armor
- artillery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catalin marin
Romania
bucharest
flag msg tools
thank you. great game.

hope it will be a campaign book 2.

catalin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some EXCELLENT summary files for this up on the DoW site!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
Belgium
Vosselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
There are some EXCELLENT summary files for this up on the DoW site!

They are excellent, but they don't say what to do with a GRENADE + STAR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dang
United States
California
flag msg tools
That's not true. A star with the unit symbol (tank or infantry) gives an elite tank or infantry unit, not grenade.

Here is the rule, on p. 5:

If you roll a Star along with a unit symbol during your Reserve roll, the unit you call up may be upgraded to Elite Status.

Grenade + star: ignore star, you only get wild (art., inf, or armor).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
destroyergx wrote:
That's not true. A star with the unit symbol (tank or infantry) gives an elite, not grenade. Read it carefully in the campaign book rules.

That's not true. Read it carefully in the campaign book rules.

It explicitly states that you can't upgrade an Artillery that way. And cause the grenade is the only way to get one it implies that you can upgrade a grenade gained Infantry or Tank with a Star!

Edit: As you stated the rules are on page 5. Read the paragraph just behind the box you quoted. The last sentence is:
Artillery cannot be upgraded in this manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dang
United States
California
flag msg tools
What I'm saying is that Grenade + Star doesn't give you a choice of an Elite Tank or infantry unit. It only gives infantry, armor, and artillery. Star is to be ignored. The only time a Star upgrades is when it is paired with a Tank or Infantry (unit symbols), not when paired with a grenade. If you read previously, it mentions "unit symbols (and grenades)," differentiating between Infantry and Armor, and Grenade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
destroyergx wrote:
What I'm saying is that Grenade + Star doesn't give you a choice of an Elite Tank or infantry unit. It only gives infantry, armor, and artillery. Star is to be ignored. The only time a Star upgrades is when it is paired with a Tank or Infantry (unit symbols), not when paired with a grenade. If you read previously, it mentions "unit symbols (and grenades)," differentiating between Infantry and Armor, and Grenade.

And I'm saying that the rules explicitly mention that you can't upgrade an ari to elite with an star. Why should this be mentioned if not the grenade chosen tank or inf could be upgraded to elite? There is no ari symbol on the dice...

But I guess we can agree that the rules are not clear in this point cause the grenade symbol is not explicitly mentioned. Perhaps Richard reads the thread and can enlighten us all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dang
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've never mentioned artillery. I let that be because I know it can't be upgraded. And to me, the rules are very clear, that a unit symbol + Star equal that unit being upgraded to Elite Status. Grenades are wild, and can't be upgraded in any way (that is how I see it). If the reserve roll said Grenade + Star = art., Elite Tank, or Elite Infantry, it should be said explicitly. But it doesn't, so it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Paul, I understand now that you won't discuss this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dang
United States
California
flag msg tools
So back to the original question. Anyone who wants to show me I'm wrong, cite the Campaign Rules book. Because it's clear in the book that only Inf. or Armor + Star on the Reserve roll = Elite Inf. or Armor unit for a Reserve. Grenade + Star Reserve roll = ignore star, and apply only grenade for the Reserve. If it's not mentioned in the book, it doesn't apply at least in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McCann
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read page 3 of the Campaign Book #1:

Under RESERVES, second paragraph.
Quote:
For each unit symbol rolled, you may choose to exchage a Reserve Token from your Strategic Reserve Pool for a unit of the type just rolled (grenades are wild, allowing an artillery, infantry or armor unit to be chosen). This process is referred to as Calling up Reserves.

So if you roll a grenade you get to choose whichever unit you want. A grenade plus a star would be an Elite unit of your choice.

Grenades don't stop being wild just because they are in the company of stars.
{just look at Charlie Sheen for example}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dang
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for correcting me! I got too much into the letter of the rules, and ignoring some crucial points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.