Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For a long time now I have been trying to find an aesthetically pleasing, practical solution for protecting my monster tokens from bag-related wear. I now think I've found one and couldn't wait to share this with you guys as I know a lot of other people have asked too.

- I can't be the only one that has been really excited by the prospect of being able to sleeve my monsters!

Pictures are below. Apologies, I tried but could not work out how to resize:

Front:

Back:

On a stand:

Many:

Stacked:

What are they?

These are coin sleeves. Each measures 1.5 x 1.5 inches. They come in packs of 100 and are available for £3.99 + £2.50 shipping.

Buy here:
http://www.robinhooddirect.com/coin-or-badge-individual-plas...

What should I know if I want to do this?

* They barely fit inside these sleeves. I stretched them into shape by jamming a token-sized piece of card in first (35 mm width). Even after this, it takes some... aggression to get them in there. Be prepared to bust a good few sleeves! You will need to be careful - your monsters' health may be at risk!

* The sleeves are listed as 38mm x 38mm. I could find nothing else anywhere of, say, 40mm x 40mm or 39mm x 39mm. The next closest match was 2 inches x 2 inches, which would be massive.

* It is easier to put new tokens in than old ones as they are more rigid and have sharper corners.

* These sleeves will compress your monster tokens a bit, because they are so tight.

* You will only remove these sleeves by cutting them off or tearing them off - the fit is that tight.

* The flap that closes the pouch will be visible on the back of the card (see picture). You could trim them though.

* They still fit in stands! See picture.

* They actually stack pretty well! See picture.

* I have no idea how the sleeves will wear, I've only just done this.

* Be sure to order enough of them! One batch of 100 was not enough for the base game + Innsmouth + all small box expansions.

* Doing this is time consuming - way more so than regular sleeving! You will need patience and practice.

Hope this helps people out! Any questions then just ask away...

Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea.

Insane to be this protective, but good find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Interesting idea.

I know! I should never, ever have sleeved the base game cards. It is a slippery slope to OCD madness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Marlboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

Front:

Back:

On a stand:

Many:

Stacked:

Hmmm... looks interesting, but do you have any pictures of them on a goat or with a boat?

--kMs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:
Interesting idea.

I know! I should never, ever have sleeved the base game cards. It is a slippery slope to OCD madness...

you might want to roll a sanity check right about now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Phillips
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
One does not simply surf into Mordor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one Phil - would like to know where you got those stands if you wouldn't mind sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TYVM Phil, I just ordered some for me
Now have to buy some litko's stands whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Phil I will order them right away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:
Interesting idea.

you might want to roll a sanity check right about now.

With a -20 modifier, there really is no need! FAIL!

angler wrote:
Nice one Phil - would like to know where you got those stands if you wouldn't mind sharing.

These stands were kindly given to me by the good people at AEG games - they make Tomb and Tomb: Cryptmaster. The stands fit investigators, gates and monster tokens easily and don't leave any marks or anything. I just asked if I could order some and they sent me a free batch! But since they don't officially sell them, you may have to end up buying the game (Tomb/Cryptmaster) to get them as I can't imagine they can afford to give them away to everybody that asks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely it was the bases I spotted first!

Anybody from AEG is reading could I order some ?

Interesting idea about the sleeves but as somebody said sleeving is slippery slope (and in Arkhams case expensive)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
redeye wrote:
Strangely it was the bases I spotted first!

Anybody from AEG is reading could I order some ?

Interesting idea about the sleeves but as somebody said sleeving is slippery slope (and in Arkhams case expensive)

All true. The amount of money I have now spent just to store and protect this game is ridiculous.

Save yourselves while you still can and say no to AH sleeving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t idea!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been troubled by the wear and tear of my monster tokens and am thinking of picking ordering these.

I tried hitting the local coin stores in my area (for these or similar) but all their 1.5" coin sleeves are actually larger than the tokens.

Which is why I'm leery of ordering these online as I've been burned before by a recommendation on BGG for monster stands - they were a little to large and I had to file them to fit.

Hope I'll have better luck this time - will dash an email to the supplier to confirm dimensions.

Thanks for the info Phil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could follow this by using round plastic "coin capsules" to protect all your clue tokens.

But then where are you going to find brain & heart shaped cases or sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having bought a few of these now - my personal view is they are too tight to use and seem likely to damage the tokens. If only they were a few mm bigger!

However they are the ideal size for the hunt tiles in the War of The Ring Collectors's Edition:

Thanks for the original post as I would never have discovered these otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some measurements on the Arkham Horror monster tiles.
They are 35 mm square and 2 mm thick.

Therefore if my math is right the bare MINIMUM pocket size for these (internal dimensions) should be 37 mm. One may need to go a mm bigger to get it in there.

I then contacted the UK seller of these (from Phil's original post) who indicated that the external dimensions of these are 38 mm and INTERNAL dimensions are approximately 35 mm (2 mm short of ideal).

I still ordered them as I think these tokens need protection - will try to stretch the plastic a bit first to get the tiles in there as per Phil's recommendation.

After I attempt this I'll post my results if anyone's interested.

Phil - how long ago did you do this? Have you observed any ill effects to date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now ordered a different wallet size 40mm x 40mm external measurements, designed to hold a half crown (38mm diameter). Will post again when I have tried these slightly larger ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
I have now ordered a different wallet size 40mm x 40mm external measurements, designed to hold a half crown (38mm diameter). Will post again when I have tried these slightly larger ones.

Do you have a link for this Nick? The manufacturer I asked only had a 50 mm external one as larger:

http://www.robinhooddirect.com/coin-or-badge-individual-plas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

Do you have a link for this Nick?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3501900...

Cheap enough to take a gamble with (at least from the UK). I'm hoping they will be better but not recieved any to try yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I saw these while looking online.

My problem was that 1.5 inch ones all appeared to be the same size from the B&M stores I visited - about 4 mm bigger than the tokens.

I tried to heat seal the pouches smaller but no joy. Still - I look forward to hearing how it works out for you with these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately these are just the same size
Maybe some sellers are giving the external measurements amd others the internal size.
As they are really too small you have to seriously stretch the sleeves to get the tokens in resulting in many split sleeves & pressure on the tokens.
Mine remain unsleeved cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pity. One of the problems of shopping for items where the tolerances need to be exact.

Still, at least it didn't cost you a lot.

I'd like to determine for myself if the pressure on the tokens are sufficient to damage them.

I have a few spare tokens lying about - when the sleeves arrive I'll give them a whirl after stretching a few sleeves with a bit of plastic I'll cut to the required size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the sleeves have arrived and I'm pleased to report that my initial attempts at sleeving were a success!

Using the OP's notes as a starting point I've managed to get a technique down that sleeves them with little trouble (bit of force required though).

I can go into further detail if anyone's interested but the important thing is to stretch the sleeves. I've done this by sticking a piece of firm plastic (about 35 mm wide x 1 mm thick, with a slight taper at the leading edge to aid insertion). Follow this with a second piece while the first is in there.

Thus far I've sleeved 15 tokens - a mix of older more worn ones as well as newer ones I haven't subjected to the bag yet. It's slow going though - over an hour for this lot. Will have to pace myself to get them all in the end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:
Well the sleeves have arrived and I'm pleased to report that my initial attempts at sleeving were a success!

Using the OP's notes as a starting point I've managed to get a technique down that sleeves them with little trouble (bit of force required though).

I can go into further detail if anyone's interested but the important thing is to stretch the sleeves. I've done this by sticking a piece of firm plastic (about 35 mm wide x 1 mm thick, with a slight taper at the leading edge to aid insertion). Follow this with a second piece while the first is in there.

Thus far I've sleeved 15 tokens - a mix of older more worn ones as well as newer ones I haven't subjected to the bag yet. It's slow going though - over an hour for this lot. Will have to pace myself to get them all in the end...

I would be interested in how you did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well to start I must say that the dimensions of the sleeves have thus far been consistent. If they were not then this might not work on smaller sleeves within a batch.

Basically step 1 is as previously described with the insertion of plastic to stretch the sleeve. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that leave it like this for a while helps - haven't confirmed.

2) Get the token and hold it face down. Holding the sleeve with the flap on the bottom, remove the inserts from the sleeve and quickly hook one edge of the token just into the lip of the sleeve. Using thumb as forefinger, pinch and pull the other side of the sleeve over the token. Again - anecdotal evidence on the necessity of quickness but I'm guessing that with the inserts removed the plastic will begin to revert to its original shape.

3) You should now have the leading edge of the token just inside the sleeve. The problem with insertion is that the token corners (vertices for the math whizzes) will gouge and eventually tear the sleeve if you try to pull it on (like a sock). Note that the sleeve has a seam on either side - if you line the seams up with the mid point of the token thickness and try to insert it you'll tear the sleeve.

4) What you need to do is roll the sleeve slightly so that the seam is JUST a little away from the token thickness. Then, ensuring the leading edge is level (else one corner will be slightly ahead and again gouging) push with your thumb on the back edge to insert the token about halfway to 2/3 rd way into the sleeve.

5) Roll the sleeve again until the seam is now lined up with the midpoint of the token's thickness. Push again with your thumb until the leading edge is as far into the sleeve as possible. A LOT of force is required for this step. It should be all of the way in now.

6) The token face should now be on the side with the flap. Simply insert the flap into the sleeve and that's it!

Takes a bit of time but so far I'm impressed with the results. I've been pondering if it might be easier to gently pinch the leading corners of each token together to further reduce the chance of gouging - perhaps with a pair of pliers and a thick soft cloth. Might try this. So far I've torn 1 sleeve in 16 attempts and that was because I became a bit impatient and tried to rush the process.

The resultant sleeved tokens are slightly thicker so I'll have to repack my Plano of monsters.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.