Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Neuchâtel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My girlfriend bought this game for my birthday (she succeeded in finding a game I previously never heard about) and I was pleasantly surprised.

Why isn't this game more popular? I agree the rules aren't very good, but the game is fun! And I only played 2 players.

I wonder how many great little games such as this one I'm missing out on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
Other than the general issue of "too many interesting games, too little time", I suspect the main problem with Gheos specifically is that the randomness of when the epoch tiles come out is felt to have too large a random influence on the outcome (see multiple threads in the variant forum proposing fixes for this). But I agree it's generally a cool clever game that got less attention than I'd have expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it was popular, but I have been sold out of this game for several years. I have not reprinted it (nor expect to at this time).

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it had plenty of "Civ lite" hype to help around its release. With that kind of backing, I think its ranking is merit-based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Neuchâtel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civ lite?
I wouldn't qualify this game as a civ lite :S

And... yeah, I discovered boardgames 2 years ago... that would probably explain why I hadn't heard of it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Sölvefjord
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
Actually it was popular, but I have been sold out of this game for several years. I have not reprinted it (nor expect to at this time).

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.

Too bad.

I gave this one away as a gift and planned to get it soon after but whenI came around it was long gone. :(

The box art alone is to die for. Nice Amiga vibes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Neuchâtel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"amiga vibes"... that's spot on.

The pallette reminds me of Shadow of the Beast: http://mpatard1.free.fr/amigas/indivision/jeux/beast01sl.JPG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supersiamesisk wrote:

It makes me think about Populous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Sölvefjord
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjac wrote:
supersiamesisk wrote:

Man, that bring back some awesome memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Neuchâtel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have populous on my amiga 500 but it's pirated (i.e., it's the first time I've actually seen the cover)

but nice find
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
supersiamesisk wrote:

Too bad.

I gave this one away as a gift and planned to get it soon after but whenI came around it was long gone.

Even though it is out of print for a while now, you can still find some stray copies on the internet in various webshops. Or perhaps you can find a used copy in the BGG's marketplace section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
jonjac wrote:
supersiamesisk wrote:

The idea for the box cover was conceived by the game's artist: Josh Cappel, and painted by artist Allen Bednar. I wonder if Josh was subconciously influenced by the game cover of Populous, as the resemblance is indeed remarkable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very similar art! Cool pickup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mycroft Stout
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this does ever get another print run, please make the triangles larger. Much larger, and use a better image system for in piece information. Tweaking the rules per epoch timing would help, as has been mentioned.

Not a game I would pick up if available otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is one of my "favorite games that I never get to play". The random Epoch thing doesn't bother me, personally. I just played it tonight with my oldest daughter (age 7). We both had a great time. She won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A little thread-necromancy for Gheos...for many years, I have been unable to play Carcassonne because I would much rather play this. Being able to _replace_ tiles is a huge play improvement and eclipses the random epoch "issue"(for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your thread-rez does give me an opportunity to express my sorrow at Gheos being OOP.
cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was wondering what other ideas were playtested and ruled out, and why, for the Epoch scoring tiles? Just curious. Was it always so random, or were there earlier versions that were more tactical or strategic? The game design process (including one idea while throwing another out) is interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
BlackRainbow wrote:
I agree the rules aren't very good, but the game is fun!

FWIW, having just pulled the game out for the first play in a long while (time flies), I thought the rules were very good!

E.g.:

* The explanation of the various symbols on page 2 also explains explicitly why/when they are used (e.g. swords are for resolving war), i.e. they are a handy quick reference.
* All steps of play are clearly described, with good illustrated examples.
* The language/editing is fine (no glaring typos, grammar errors, etc).
* We found no unclear/ambiguous parts in the rules.
* The player score tokens show cups and the epoch tiles show pyramids, reminding of how the 2 types of scoring work. (OK, that's not part of the rules per se, but shows a nice attention to detail.)

I think the war/migration rules are inherently a bit potentially confusing concepts to people when both happen at once (which might be why people might not like the rules), but war and migration are described clearly... one just needs time/experience to wrap one's head around the concepts.

So I (still) think the randomness of epoch tiles might be the main reason the game isn't more popular. (Well, now also because it's long out of print, alas...)

(And also the fact that such "share-holding" games are less interesting with only 2 players, which is how we end up playing it usually. We hope to get some multiplayer games of it at home with visiting friends, but never do, alas... We need to suggest it harder.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.