Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Vom-krieg
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now dont get me wrong here people, I just got Twilight 3rd ed and have put my sticky fingers all over the pieces and have it setup trying to learn the rules.... It looks SO damm good.

Then it dawned on me... Man, this is so much like master of orion the computer game. If someone had set out to make master of orion into a boardgame it would be like this, and as master of orion 2 is my alltime favorite strategy computer game (We dont talk about MOO3) this is a good thing.

For those who dont know, MOO is about alien races coming back after the great Orion empire fell into ruin. In the center of the map is orion which has great secrets and is fought over. There are races which have similar themes to the TI3 races as well.

Im not accusing FFG of plagiarism or anything. But I am saying that as a fan of Master of orion, it has made TI3 that much cooler for me.

Peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Januar
Indonesia
JAKARTA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Master of Orion
Ithkrall (#482498),

Hei you were right man, it remind me about MOO too, i really love this game series too (except MOO3), and MOO1 is my first love for space strategy game (4X/C?), maybe that why i'am biased when give TI3 score, i just love .. it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wing Leung
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mariojanuar (#482589),

Hi:

As much as I love MOO1 and MOO2, I have to say I enjoy playing TI3 more. MOO1 and MOO2 are more focused on wars and expansions, while TI3 is more focused on diplomacy, player interactions, intrigue. Often, the biggest players are not the winner.

Cheers.

WarCheese

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vom-krieg
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be an amusing little mod to create races based on the MOO2 races, but i fear they would end up very similar to the ti3 races.

Gnolam are master traders, Psilon are ace researchers, Darlocks are spy masters..... well theres three races with identical themes to Moo2 races.

We played an epic game of Moo2 using hotseat of all things during the summer break for university. People would paint models, play other boardgames and take a turn every now and then on Moo2.That game got very thick with diplomacy, with people having secret meetings etc. If i recall rightly, I was in the lead and one guy sent a fleet to attack me. As i moved to defend it, a stealth fleet from another player turned up and burned my homeworld to ash. A rare moment where a computer game imitates a board game.

Anyway, Ive just hooked up with a new gaming group and a 6 player game of TI3 is planned for the forseeable future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Parker
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I was on the fence on this game, hearing both good things (Tom Vasel) and bad (most other people), but reading this thread finally pushed me over the edge and made me buy. I loved MOO 1 & 2 so dearly that reading this made my heart leap.

Thanks,
-Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
If only TI3 was more like MOO!! It wants to be, but fails imho. Octavian, in a post under Tom Vassel's review, says:
Quote:
TI3 is a coldwar style diplomatic game

You have the tools to wage war, but are discouraged from using them, other than for some peripheral raiding, by the very design. As in TI2, you still have the "attack and die" phenomenon happening. Large scale military engagements are too bloody to both sides to be affordable. So everyone "turtles" and get VPs other ways.

While this game may be clever at mirroring cold war realities, it sure doesn't remind me of MOO. In MOO there is empire building, expansion, technology research (and tech espionage), very sophisticated diplomatic interaction and military action. It is a classic explore, expand, exploit and exterminate game, which I'm convinced Twilight Imperium started out its life to be also. This "third time lucky" version doesn't do it for me unfortunately, so I'm sticking to Master of Orion II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vom-krieg
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, i keep reading this about TI3, that people turtle. In the Game i play the people who got into the lead were the aggressive ones, the people who turtled got crushed.

Anyway, have played the game now and love it. IS card and all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
It's the same way in my group. The most aggressive players usually finish heads and shoulders above the rest.

There are many, many ways to ensure that your aggressive streak is not too badly punished by the other players. Diplomacy, of course... but also having more ships helps, which is very easy to do if you forgo tech purchasing for a round or three. That strategy is actually easier in general in this edition, because often the public objectives fall in such a way that you don't NEED a lot of tech to win.

You CAN wage ware effectively in this game. It requires some political maneuvering and some careful planning, but it can be done, and done well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ollenberger
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I agree. Even in TI2 my group never found turtling to be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "turtle" phenomina, and the "Cold War" nature of the military portion of this game has been too hotly debated and discussed, directly or indirectly, in just about every thread on this board to be a figment of our imagination. If it either rarely happens with your group, or you don't care if it does, simply makes you one data point among many. There are obviously many other different data points out there. Enough for me to conclude, safely in my opinion, that this game doesn't rate as a boardgame version of MOO. One may yet come along, someday soon I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ollenberger
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Well, every single game of MOO2 I've played I've won by turtling, so I don't see how this isn't the closest thing to a MOO boardgame. It was insanely easy in MOO2 to sit there, keep ships in orbit to fend off attacks until you max out the tech tree and then go around killing everyone with your insane ships. If anything TI does a better job of discouraging turtling than MOO2 does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Moos
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, thats how i sell the game to new players: "c'mon guys let's play MOO2 but on the board, so we can shouting at each other directly while playing." "oh, i'm not sure... is it fun?" "you can build a death star." "hoooray, where's the game? let's start"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.