Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night. Actually played it solo, utilizing 3 characters chosen at random (Pilot, Navigator, Messenger). I managed to work things out pretty well on my own, but did have one question regarding grabbing the treasure(s).

At the start of the game, you place each of the 4 treasure figurines one of their possible locales on the island, based on the "image" of the treasure on an island tile, with each treasure having 2 tiles it can be located on.

In order for a pawn to actually take possession of the treasure (when you discard 4x the matching cards) does the pawn have to be...
a) on the island tile that actually has the treasure figurine on it?
OR
b) can you be on either tile that has the treasure "image" on it?

Last night I played that the pawn needed to collect the treasure figurine itself. If anything, I thought this added more complexity to the game, even if by the rules it was wrong to require that and even in the future I might play that way.

So which is it...(a) or (b).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(b) is the correct answer. However, you don't place the treasure on the actual tile. Instructions tell you to set them up off the board.

Having two tiles just ensures you have a better chance of continuing in case one sinks completely. But whichever of the 2 tiles you go to with that treasure, you can grab it from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can be on either tile that has the treasure image on it. I don't think it says in the rules that you are supposed to put the treasure figurines on the map at all. They are supposed to sit next to the board, not on it.

Edit: Sniped by Brian again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Edit: Sniped by Brian again!

modest sorry ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I guess I am going to have to read that again. now that I think about it, I can picture the..well...the picture in the rules that shows the treasures located off the "board".

But you know what...i kinda like the idea of the treasure being on an actual tile and you needing to get the treasure from said tile. I mean, if you were really exploring an island for treasure, it wouldn't be in either of 2 locations...it'd be where it was, and if you wanted it, you'd have to get it from that spot.

I may have to just institute this as a house rule from the get-go. Decide which of the 2 locales the treasure could be at, and then you need to rescue it from that specific spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
buffburgo wrote:
Hmmm, I guess I am going to have to read that again. now that I think about it, I can picture the..well...the picture in the rules that shows the treasures located off the "board".

But you know what...i kinda like the idea of the treasure being on an actual tile and you needing to get the treasure from said tile. I mean, if you were really exploring an island for treasure, it wouldn't be in either of 2 locations...it'd be where it was, and if you wanted it, you'd have to get it from that spot.

I may have to just institute this as a house rule from the get-go. Decide which of the 2 locales the treasure could be at, and then you need to rescue it from that specific spot.

You're a real glutton for punishment, aren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Well, maybe I'll leave it up to the group to decide before hand. I've only played the one time, and I managed to win, but was so very, very close to losing. Maybe I just got lucky and if we don't use the rules "as is written" we'll get our butts handed to us by the Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It would make the game tougher and might not be a bad variant if you find the expert level (or whatever the highest is) too easy. But if that tile sunk before you got to it, it would be game over. Unless you had some rule to float the treasure to the other matching tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
buffburgo wrote:
Blott wrote:

Well, maybe I'll leave it up to the group to decide before hand. I've only played the one time, and I managed to win, but was so very, very close to losing. Maybe I just got lucky and if we don't use the rules "as is written" we'll get our butts handed to us by the Island.

I only have one play of this as well but quite a few more with Pandemic. Judging the ease of the game off of one play isn't wise as these are both very luck dependent games. With Pandemic, it is possible to lose on the first turn. Haven't done the math to see if it is possible on Forbidden Island. But the wrong card comes up too many times, and you are in big trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I only have one play of this as well but quite a few more with Pandemic. Judging the ease of the game off of one play isn't wise as these are both very luck dependent games. With Pandemic, it is possible to lose on the first turn. Haven't done the math to see if it is possible on Forbidden Island. But the wrong card comes up too many times, and you are in big trouble.

Oh, it's certainly possible: been there, done that, got the scars, etc :-)

Fools Landing one of the first six flooded cards;
No player with Sandbags/Helicopter Lift;
First player not within range of Fool's Landing to save it;
After first player moves, treasure cards revealed include Water's Rise;
Fool's Landing comes up from the Water's Rise.

"Game over, man...."

We just laughed, and played again ;-)

The fun in the game is in managing luck as best you can, and accepting that sometimes, the "best" decision just killed you. Life's like that sometimes. At the very least, it teaches the kids (/parents...) resilience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
..But if that tile sunk before you got to it, it would be game over...

Well, I certainly admit i mis-read the rules involving the treasure, and I did spend many actions of my pawns shoring up the tiles that held the treasure(s) as I was thinking exactly that...if the treasure tile sunk, I lost. Maybe I'll just worry about progressing through the rules the correct way first, before making it harder on myself.

We've played Pandemic about 10 times, and have only won twice. We still only use level 3 at the start (outbreaks?) and it routinely kicks our @ss. One of the group is dying to use the Terrorist from On-The-Brink but we keep telling him we're not ready for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend got two copies and put treasures on all the treasure locations. It looks very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
My friend got two copies and put treasures on all the treasure locations. It looks very nice!

Well how did he do that? Because now he has 4 tiles per treasure and only 2 treasures! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again tonite with my group (4 of us) and actually played by the written rules. I also learned I had not been shoring tiles properly, I had missed the part about being able to shore adjacent tiles, I thought only tiles your pawn was on.

So long story short...we lost. Came down to all 4 of us on Fools Landing with only 1 other tile of the entire island left, and it was right next to us and only 1 tick mark left on the flood gauge. No one had a Helicopter lift so we had to draw 2 Treasure cards and hope to NOT get a Waters Rise. 1st card...Waters Rise, we lose. Of course, we checked the next card...it was a Lift!!!!

Good game though, we all enjoyed. Looking forward to the next match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
buffburgo wrote:
Played again tonite with my group (4 of us) and actually played by the written rules. I also learned I had not been shoring tiles properly, I had missed the part about being able to shore adjacent tiles, I thought only tiles your pawn was on.

So long story short...we lost. Came down to all 4 of us on Fools Landing with only 1 other tile of the entire island left, and it was right next to us and only 1 tick mark left on the flood gauge. No one had a Helicopter lift so we had to draw 2 Treasure cards and hope to NOT get a Waters Rise. 1st card...Waters Rise, we lose. Of course, we checked the next card...it was a Lift!!!!

Good game though, we all enjoyed. Looking forward to the next match.

Now that sounds epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always explained it as the treasure is in an underground cavern that can be accessed from either of the two locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.