Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should go with "Francotrash" combinations of Euro and Thematic games. Claustrophobia, Ghost Stories, Yggdrasil, Wings of War: Deluxe Set come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd start by only dipping your toes into the waters with simpler of Eurogames like Cave Troll or a time proven game like Settlers of Catan. Both are fairly easy to teach and play and are nice family games too. Settlers in particular is apparently great for intro'ing to non-gamers so you might get extra use out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Alyn

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyear wrote:
You want Stone Age

If you like the excitement of throwing a hand-full of dice to resolve something, this is the Euro-resource management for you. Plus it's generally very well reviewed, has pretty components, plays 2 very well, has resource management (no beating people, though there is a love hut) and is outdoorsy.

This is what I was thinking, many Euro's lack thematic presence compared to AmeriTrash as it seems you noted, this game has decent bits and is a great learning game before Agricola is presented to your friends (break 'em in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, listen to the guy with the AT microbadge and get settlers. Don't listen to everyone else...they're wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
-1 for Stone Age.

If you want a dice allocation Euro that as an AT fan you'll appreciate then you want Alien Frontiers. More interaction, more choices and you can blow up other peoples dice with your plasma cannon!

Had to thumb this.

As someone who likes a lot of games that seem to fall under Ameritrash, I've never enjoyed Stone Age very much. Dice don't save it or help it in any way, in part because the dice rolls you have don't directly affect your opponents. You just roll dice at the board and hope to do well.

Jayolas wrote:
Yes, listen to the guy with the AT microbadge and get settlers. Don't listen to everyone else...they're wrong.

If someone's thinking about getting Settlers, odds are they should get Settlers. It's a game that engages the other people at the table and doesn't get old for my friends (who play lots of games) or my family (who don't).

... Although looking back at his criteria, I'd advise against it. 2p game in Settlers is non-existent.

Maybe Taluva?

It's sort of like Carcassonne with hexagons and hot lava death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayolas wrote:

Except Cyclades is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
In any case, if anyone is still reading, remotely understands my plight, and cares to comment, what Euro game could you recommend to me that maybe includes any or all of the following:

pretty components
great gameplay
2 player mode (or even coop or solo mode)
maybe exploration
maybe resource management (I don't know what I'm talking about here - resources are things you beat other things up with, right??)
maybe an outdoor map or tile feel

I am surprised that noone has suggested Merchants & Marauders yet, as it fulfils more or less every point above with flying colors (not a lot of exploration, I'll admit). Thinking about it, this is probably because in spite of the designer being European, it not as much a true Euro as an old-school (pre Euro/Ameritrash schisma) game made with a firm understanding of the strengths and qualities of both later design schools. The first printing sold out in record time, and a new printing is rumored for May (half a year after the initial release).

+1 for Tikal (consider the mini and mid-size variants in the database for fewer than 4 players), Cyclades and Tigris & Euphrates (even though it does not match your list as closely as the other 3).

All of these differ from most Euros in featuring direct interplayer conflict (though very limited in Tikal), but avoids player elimination in a fairly elegant ways. If this is something you wish to steer clear of, it turns out that I have to disregard some of the entries in your wishlist in order to come up with truly great games:
On the Underground
Shipyard
Stone Age
Puerto Rico

– Tor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikey, I didn’t expect such a big response, and nice detailed answers too, cheers everybody! To avoid annoying everyone I won’t reply to every response, instead thumbs and thanks to all those who posted.

Reading through your posts and going from your comments (rather than thumbs, which may just be general agreement) it looks like Cyclades has it. I loved the mythology growing up so that suits perfectly, and the pieces look great. Hopefully the gameplay will follow suit. My good friend DrCrow, a staunch Cyclades proponent, will be pleased! I need to look into picking this up from somewhere affordable in the UK now...

And Age of Empires comes in a close second. I have to say it looks very cool too – I loved the PC game but never thought it would cross over to boards and bits easily.

Interestingly, Settlers seems to come in with enough pros and cons to register as roughly 0 total votes. For some reason I expected more suggestions along the lines of this and Agricola. Stone Age also seems to have split opinions quite dramatically.

Unintentionally, I would never have considered games like Cave Troll, Chaos In The Old World, Claustrophobia and Dungeon Lords to be Euros purely because of the apparent themes.

There are also a ton of games in here I’ve never even heard of before, so thanks again for bringing them to my attention. So many choices...

PS. Don’t worry, Dam: I’ll still be Trashing my way through swarms of Orcs and Deep Ones in the interim! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I'm late but I've gone thru a very similar phase, looking longingly at the many well-regarded euros. Amongst those recommended, I've bought Chaos in the Old World. An excellent game to be sure but one that is difficult for me to get on the table. I ended up buying Omen: A Reign of War (albeit a card game) to scratch that Greek itch but held off on any other thanks to my Ameritrash bros.

Lords of Waterdeep suddenly appeared out of the blue and like the D&D adventure games, looks like it will fill this big gap in our gaming lives. Let's look forward to getting this year-long itch scratched big time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post matey, our journeys seem to have been concurrent all this time!

And yes indeed, LoD LoW looks like it could be a winner.

(Goes to check out Omen...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Thanks for the post matey, our journeys seem to have been concurrent all this time!

And yes indeed, LoD LoW looks like it could be a winner.

(Goes to check out Omen...)

You also need to check out games by Vlaada Chvatíl and Martin Wallace. They seem to make Euros that start with a theme and then think up some mechanics that will work to represent the theme, instead of the other way round that most Euro designers do things. So these two designers are very thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
You also need to check out games by Vlaada Chvatíl and Martin Wallace. They seem to make Euros that start with a theme and then think up some mechanics that will work to represent the theme, instead of the other way round that most Euro designers do things. So these two designers are very thematic.

Very sound advice. Already been playing the hell out of Chvatíl's Mage Knight and I love it! Now I'm flirting with Dungeon Lords. So many games, so little time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get on the Chvatil fanboy wagon, absolutely try Mage Knight Board Game. I think it's exactly what you're looking for as far as providing deep, euro-style decisions with very sexy, Ameritrashy components and presentation. Also amazing solo or w/ two players.

I know it's hard to find right now, but it's worth the fuss.

Also, as far as cool themes and neat components, most Chvatil games will do well for you, such as Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Lords, or Dungeon Petz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sagers
United States
Gainsville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun It has the building and area control of a Euro, and you get to use your armies to battle for provinces, like Axis and Allies, and other military Ameritrash.

Tikal and Thebes have the exploration theme, but have a very Euro feel.

For a co-op Yggdrasil is a good choice. It has an epic feel to it (plus you can adjust the difficulty level.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Son
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Any Chvatil.

Game of Thrones
Ignoring the 2 player mode.
100% conflict. Deterministic combat.
Drips with Theme.
Area control/Auction
Some pretty components whistle
Wargame wrapped in an Euro painted in Ameritrash.

Civilization
Best with 2 or 4.
3 is a little wonky with the map setup.
Not a "pure Euro" whatever that means, but close enough.
Theme - check
Pretty components - uh... close enough the tiles are really pretty.
Exploration - check
Resource management - check
Resources (uranium) that lets you beat up other things - check
Outdoor map - check
great gameplay - check

Merchants and Marauders
Euro-esque. Some luck, but many euro style mechanics. ie. no dice.
Theme, I'm a pirate in the golden age of piracy! score!
Beautifully sculpted ships.
Outdoor map - check
Great Gameplay, roam around, raid ships, get loot. - check

Good Gaming!

::edited for real emoticons::
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Take a look at Ninjato. It's a highly thematic, light-mid weight euro. The game basically works like this:
-train up your ninja skills
-use those skills to defeat or sneak past guards
-steal treasure after getting past the guards
-use the treasure to bribe clan members
-use your influence in the clans to gain honor (victory) points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more brilliant recommendations here, thanks guys. thumbsup
Let’s see...

Omen – Greek mythology, beautiful art, added to wishlist
Lords of Waterdeep – preordered
Mage Knight – got, played, reviewed on BGG!
Dungeon Lords – wish-listed, looks really nice
Shogun & Tikal – heard of, not looked into yet
Tikal – love the look of the game, heard mixed things about it
Yggdrasil – great theme, coop, looks cool, added to wishlist
Game of Thrones – got, played a few times, good but not great
Civilisation – I was hooked on all of the PC games, looks like it might be a bit of a fiddly implementation on a board though
Merchants & Marauders – heard great things, pieces look great, love the map, wish-listed
Ninjato – it has Ninjas in it, I’m in!

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think what you need is a good euro with a lot of theme!

You realy have to try
Dungeon Lords - Its rich of theme, but a very hard euro! Even if it looks like a "sweet" game - its brutal devil
And it perfectly fits to your old D&D years - but now you re the evil guy!

Edit: To make it simple: I would recommend all Vlaada Chvatil games to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. R.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cave Troll Simple, thematic, fun and I really enjoy it with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen Donkin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played it, but from what I've read the forthcoming Lords of Waterdeep fits your description. It's a D&D game, so fits your theme, but has very much a Euro/worker placement mechanic.

Early reports seem pretty positive, and it seems to bridge the gap between "Ameritrash" and "Eurogames" nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not Eclipse, it's the buzz right now, and it's suppose to combine ameritrash (combat with dices) and euro (wooden cubes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse also looks great!

(goes to re-mortgage house...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.