$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Party Games» Forums » General

Subject: What is the best party game for people who don't really know each other. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dwsw
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are having a party soon and we would like to have a game option. Most of the people will know each other but don't know a lot of personal info. about each other. So I want to stay away from games that may require that. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers

This worked great for us in the same situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since this popped up in the wargame forums for some reason, I'll suggest Axis & Allies. Up to five can play, but at a party, everyone will have an opinion and be vocal about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dwsw
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why it would popup in Wargames, I put it in the Party Games subdomain.

I have Wits and Wagers and it has done well. Looking for something new.

I am thinking of maybe Title Recall or Say Anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise and Otherwise is better than Wits & Wagers in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time's Up is better than anything mentioned so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like Dixit for both groups of people that don't know each other as well as for close friends and family.

The game can play very differently with different groups, but works just fine either way, and is one of the best party games out there (I love the art and love that it makes people be creative but strategic in their clues -- or you can just sit back, make up crazy stories about the cards, and have a good time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations has worked well, particularly for non-gamers.

Smarty Party! also works well if you don't have an ubercompetitive person in the crowd.

And Things... works as long as you keep it to 6 or fewer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other suggestions are great. If you are going to have a fairly large group, I would add the following two games.

Are You a Werewolf will play up to 15 people (Ultimate Werewolf, another version of the same game, will play up to 68), the people playing need to know absolutely nothing about each other, it is quick to learn, and it is a great ice breaker as it gets people to constantly interact with each other. I have played this game in three towns and have yet to find a group that didn't have a wonderful time with it.

Apples to Apples is another favorite party game that is very quick to teach, plays up to 10, is very approachable by non-gamers, requires no previous knowledge about the other players, and is loads of fun due to constant interaction among players.

Good luck with your party!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Twister? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried a few party games, but the ones that are always a success for non-gamers are Catchphrase (the electronic edition -- just $20) and Outburst. Just about anyone can play, it supports mixed groups of kids/adults, and the rules for both are very simple and similar to game shows like 20K Pyramid and Family Feud.

I've brought out Dixit, Wits and Wagers Family, and Apples to Apples, and they just worked OK for non-gamers. The problem is that non-gamers don't usually like learning new rules. They were hesitant to try it and liked familiar stuff. Say Anything went over very well though. So that's another good one.

Still, Catchphrase and Outburst are perfect because they are scalable to any size of 4 and greater. People can join or leave easily if you play in large teams. The games also have lots of excitement and shouting to get people interactive. That's good when you have people who just like to watch a game or are more there for the social aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of the above suggestions, but I would like to add:
I've played Time's Up! many times, with very different groups and it was always a great success.

On a more general note, one of the asset of party games is precisely to gather different peoples around a light rules game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Question of Scruples. This relationship-destroyer should only be played with strangers you will never see again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Time's Up! is a great choice many people have played a version of this so the rules learning curve is minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is probably Pictionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
dking232 wrote:
Well, since this popped up in the wargame forums for some reason, I'll suggest Axis & Allies. Up to five can play, but at a party, everyone will have an opinion and be vocal about it.

If he wants a wargame, the answer is obvious.

DIPLOMACY.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'll add that Apples to Apples and Wits & Wagers are easy to learn and very fun to play. Also a couple of off the wall choices that are highly entertaining are Sushi Roll!, Poo: The Card Game, Farkle, and Bunco. Enjoy and party on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
dking232 wrote:

If he wants a wargame, the answer is obvious.

DIPLOMACY.ninja

Yeah, if you want everyone to end up hating each other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Mertens
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides warm recommendations for Telestrations, Times Up and Dixit you may have a closer look on
and

Linq will change partners every round pushing the 'clue behind'
Graffiti - explain what you see and feel about the paintings (artists) - will stimulate mirror (=empathic) neurons significantly; sounds a bit academic but can improve relationships quite well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Time's up / Title recall / whatever people call it.

Played a make-your-own version at the last party I had - absolutely hilarious and everyone loved it.

Make-your-own version:
get everyone to write down 3 people on separate scraps of paper
put all the bits of paper in a hat
find some rules on bgg
get someone with an iphone/fancy watch to be the timer
Play

Great game!

It's like a combination of Charades and Taboo, but more fun than either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Cross Lanes
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits and Wagers and Dixit are my favorite party games, they're just plain great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP didn't say whether choices were limited to wargames, or even if his guests were gamers at all. That being the case, I would suggest a couple of "ten-minutes-to-learn lotsa-fun" type games.

Such as:

Leaping Lemmings
Small World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to get the talking started and not really play a game, you can just have a "white elephant lottery" (my dictionary says a white elephant is a present you want to get rid of or an item that no one really needs).

Each guest must bring something they do not want to take back home (though it should be in an acceptable condition, like a plain ugly but not broken vase). When all guests have arrived, pass a die around for about an hour (a strict time limit is needed). Whenever someone rolls a 6, he or she may exchange his or her present with someone else. Believe it or not, someone will really want that Queen Elisabeth II tea cup or the Swiss souvenir cowbell, so people have a topic for conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me, sin? Pf! Nah! Chill
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Should I stop doing the whole anagram thing?
badge
Congratulations! You found the hidden message! Geekmail your answer to me for your prize.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about good, old-fashioned Charades? Does everything have to come in a box that you had to pay money for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.