Subject: Recommended characters for different player numbers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm likely to be playing Citadels both one-on-one with my wife, and with my regular gaming group of three-to-five people.

Outside the rulebook saying "don't use this character with X players", are there any characters you'd particularly recommend, or recommend against, with certain group sizes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I would recommend against using any of the expansion characters (except possibly the Artist or the Queen when playing with particular numbers of players - 7, 8 or I think there's a variant using a number 9 that can be good for three players) during your early games with the group. The original characters provide the most optimal engine for the game, which is why they were the original characters in the first place. (That is, had the original designer found better ones, he would have used them.)

When you are more experienced, you'll be able to guide your own character choices, and perhaps derive benefit from the alternatives. The expansion characters do have their uses - they provide variation, and sometimes just changing the experience is worth more than an optimum balance. But I recommend selecting characters for the specific effects they will have one the game, rather than seeking a "better set".

I definitely recommend against certain combinations of characters. For example, using the Tax Collector and the Alchemist together is bad. Alchemist lends itself to huge hoards of money, while Tax Collector means the Thief is out of play, and the Thief is the character that provides a check on huge hoards of money. Similarly, Navigator and Tax Collector are bad together. And Witch, Tax Collector, Alchemist and Navigator all at once is just insane.

But all the alternate characters are good for a bit of a shake-up when players get jaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use the Assassin instead of the Witch in 6p+ games. There's a high chance the Witch will be able to bewitch someone with not a lotta character cards out of play, so there's always an extra incentive to use her. At least with the Assassin, there's always the tradeoff of giving up a tangible, solid benefit vs. the Assassin's semi-random (doesn't benefit you directly, only hurts one player too at that) power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.