$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
107 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: Contest Thought: Easy Builds Contest (or, Microgame Inspired Contest) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Is this the next game contest? I want to update the sticky thread with info about upcoming contests and this is the only one I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Is this the next game contest? I want to update the sticky thread with info about upcoming contests and this is the only one I can find.

I believe so, though Oct as entry month is a fair ways away.

I also need to go and clean up the rules, still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I might give this a whirl. Might end up with a game that fills a niche no other game I have fits.

I have a design rolling in my head but I have a few questions:

Secret information: Is this allowed? I thought of using one-fold stand-ups that face the player with information. They aren't tokens per-se but they might take up space since you need a front and a back.

Modular boards: Would this be just the 2/4 page requirement, that all tiles have to be on the boards?

Lastly for the uninitiated, what's a pocketmod? Is this it? Otherwise I would have thought folding a letter sized sheet would have sufficied for the rules. That should be enough, both sides and in small type, for a small game, no?

We're about a month away from the first day of submissions. Can we still get started on our entries early?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, go ahead and start early. The one-fold stand-ups are a great idea!

Yes, that's a pocketmod. I like it because it's more or less in the shape of a book, but as you can see in some further posts, I've amended to allow other forms of one page rules.

For a modular board, as long as it _is_ a board and it fits the page requirement, that's fine.

I should definitely still go back and edit the first post with the rules as they changed in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... looking at the components and such, trying to figure out the scale of things.

How harsh is the 1x1" restriction on tiles? One mechanic I considered was placing a number of tiles, face down, on the modular hexagon sections to be discovered during play. 1" means the hexes have to be big to accommodate multiple tiles. Could 0.7x0.7in be possible? I design with a handy chart of component sizes near me, which helps when considering these kinds of things. Half an inch is too small, but 1" is too big for what I originally planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mmacmartin wrote:
Right. Forgot to say that it must have a board . 2 page is probably sufficient for a board. Ogre is 2, but Melee is 4. In my head I had a "must have a board, either prebuilt, or built with tiles" but I guess I didn't write that.

* 2 page board required. Option to upgrade to 4 page at expense of two other pages (you may not reduce the number of tokens/counters/chits)

Both the original Ogre and Melee, as shipped by Metagaming (and in Ogre's case, later by Steve Jackson Games), have one-page boards that measure 8.5"x14" (one piece of 'legal size' paper). I'm just saying.

(edit: typo-ed the paper size)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
How harsh is the 1x1" restriction on tiles? One mechanic I considered was placing a number of tiles, face down, on the modular hexagon sections to be discovered during play. 1" means the hexes have to be big to accommodate multiple tiles. Could 0.7x0.7in be possible? I design with a handy chart of component sizes near me, which helps when considering these kinds of things. Half an inch is too small, but 1" is too big for what I originally planned.

That seems ok. I'd originally put in guides so that there's a clear idea of what I meant by "counters" and "tiles".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the original post. Sadly, I didn't preserve the original (silly) rules, but the ruleset that will be used for the contest is now up in the first post. Please design to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Isn't it fun running a design contest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd love to enter this one but i am a bit contest-ed out for a time. i had thought of a game on a toroidal space colony/generational ship so the far edges of the board would join up creating a circular board. be something like a generational ship-wide war between those out of cryosupport who remember earth vs a mutated populace that has generated into barbarism and regard earth as a myth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
i'd love to enter this one but i am a bit contest-ed out for a time. i had thought of a game on a toroidal space colony/generational ship so the far edges of the board would join up creating a circular board. be something like a generational ship-wide war between those out of cryosupport who remember earth vs a mutated populace that has generated into barbarism and regard earth as a myth

Sure, just tease us with this

Actually, I'll probably be out of this one as well as I'm getting ready for a Blood Bowl league and need to make sure I've got team together and painted (oh, and that work thing as well). But then, who knows what inspiration might strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:

... man, that sounds epic, and would have been awesome, too, given everything you've created. Hopefully even if you don't make it for the contest, you will some day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
the main issue contestwise is i've been seeing comments lately about having an advantage in that i am a graphic designer. which i see as a fair criticism because of how we judge games visually. i had almost made up my mind to cheerlead contest entries for awhile and offer my support to the great work others are doing on BGG.

i was drawn to this contest initially because i do not play this type of game (i have lords of the underearth in my collection but it remains uncut. mostly because the rulebook seems laborious) and being new to something often spurs me to de-construct it and work out something i'd like to play. when i was designing Shadows Upon Lassadar this contest was in the back of my mind. and that game was a small step in exploration

i've also never done a game with a hex/chit system and i have some curiosity about what i could do graphically with chits to make them more readable and visually interesting.

this is also one reason i started the forum thread on how hex maps work.

if you all think it a cool idea i'll give it some more thought. i don't wish to discourage anyone if i were to enter.

NASA has a site up of torodial and cylindrical space colonies for those interested

http://settlement.arc.nasa.gov/70sArt/art.html

a connected torodial map interests me strategically because i don't really think, unlike a hex dungeon crawl, you can't be reasonably sure the space behind you is secure. whatever AI would drive the game could be bringing reinforcements from behind. so you are always fighting a pitched, moving battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea - it would actually give a good reason for why things go off the board on one side and reappear on the other

I say join in and branch out a bit more

I'm thinking I may actually stop being a spectator and join in when this one starts up as well - always loved pocket games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
so, by 'must have 2 page board' do you mean, minimum board size of 11"x17"? (two 8.5" x 11" sheets)?

The reason I ask is because the Metagaming microgames (at least the early ones) had one 8.5"x14" sheet (legal size).

So, instead of # of sheets, perhaps a minimum assembled map size in sq. inches or sq. cm.?

Or am I too pedantic, are things really more flexible than that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i suppose i could also build upon Shadows of Lassadar and start a 2nd franchise game narrative like Aether Captains. more of a traditional fantasy microgame but with some twists like i like.

narratively - a large Warden battle against the Grayking and his servants. perhaps the battle that led to his exile in the Tower of Ash. the prequel as it were

a question for the wargamers - do you use 'nomograms' ever in place of general dice lookup tables?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one I recall was for AD&D, in an issue of Dragon Magazine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:
Or am I too pedantic, are things really more flexible than that?

I mean "more than one 8.5x11, less than three". So, 8.5x14 does work, but you've got two letter-sized (or A4-sized, doesn't really matter) pages to work with - why not scale up some?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:

a question for the wargamers - do you use 'nomograms' ever in place of general dice lookup tables?

I've not done enough wargaming to know if they are used currently in any games (none of mine do), but nomograms would be awesome!

Edit... I forgot, I've seen info on using them for gaming here at Project Rho, Winchell Chung's site... (the guy who did the original art for WarpWar and Ogre!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yes thanks john. exactly the site i am reading currently. they do look intriguing but hard to make.

i have been futzing about with an idea for a map for a Lassadar microgame tonight. i am interested i think with subverting the hex grid somewhat ( i like toying around with standard game conventions sometimes).

my idea is 4-5 sizes of circles (color coded here). in the game they would probably represent magical warps in physical space. you could move up or down one adjacent level 4 to 3 to 2 to 3 to 4 etc.. or you could move to an adjacent same size circle. the circles might dictate different battle conditions or represent areas of magical and non magical use or shock troop sizing.

this image is just a quick sketch of an idea. i'd really have to custom build the circle adjacencies. but there could be certain lacunas and one way zones. i like the slightly fuzzy adjacencies

anyone have any comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
the main issue contestwise is i've been seeing comments lately about having an advantage in that i am a graphic designer. which i see as a fair criticism because of how we judge games visually.

Actually, I've been following the conversation about this on the Iron Game Designer thread. I don't think the criticism is all that fair. Yes, people probably are more attracted to a game that is visually appealing, but that is all part of the package. It makes it more fun to imagine the setting, characters and components. I think this is why I'm not interested in many abstract games; I need the scene set for me. And why single out graphic design? I doubt that most people would say that it's unfair for someone with, say, formal training in logic, mathematics, or probability to enter a design contest.

That said, I'd be very interested to know what attracts people to games on these forums, and what turns them off. I've had difficulty getting feedback from other users about the few games I've designed so far (I'm pretty new to this). And without getting people engaged, I can't really tell whether it's something about the game mechanism design, the theme, the artwork, or possibly just the fact that I'm a noob and most people aren't interested in other people they don't know.

Thoughts? Advice? General heckling?!

Thanks
Sharon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
the main issue contestwise is i've been seeing comments lately about having an advantage in that i am a graphic designer

Then why make contests at all? The competition is the point! Otherwise we should disqualify anyone with any abilities whatsoever, which is everyone.
By having perfect looking games community as a whole only wins, and it only urges those of us who aren't skilled in graphic design to perfect our game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:
Then why make contests at all? The competition is the point! Otherwise we should disqualify anyone with any abilities whatsoever, which is everyone.
By having perfect looking games community as a whole only wins, and it only urges those of us who aren't skilled in graphic design to perfect our game mechanics.

Because competition isn't really competition when a professional is involved? Sure there are people out there who are just plain talented but for someone who does X for a living as opposed to a hobby, it means (to me) that they are out there constantly honing their skills and capabilities to a degree that the rest of us just can't afford.

Not to say that a professional shouldn't enter a contest. I would hate to see a slowdown in the awesome sauce that are todd's creations. However, I know that (to me) a contest with a pro is no contest at all. More a race for second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I submit a game that I will also submit in another contest this month or you only want new games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.