Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As many of you know Crokinole is ranked #40 all time on BGG and is currently rated #3 for family games. I first saw this game back in 2009 at a local convention and while it looked "interesting" it also looked sort of complicated and so different from all the other games that I was a bit intimidated to try it.

Luckily I have a sister-in-law who is from Canada and introduced me to the game in a family setting later on. Her family had all pitched in to get a custom made $300+ board from some small woodshop near Calgary. It was a great game and I immediately fell in love with it. I decided I had to have one and went looking. I first tried our contacts with US game distributors and was disappointed to learn that the game wasn't available in any form for any US retailers. Of course I was hoping to get it for wholesale and save some money.

Then I looked online and realized you could buy them from various sources. I saw two type of boards available, either very basic $20-35 boards that really weren't the same game at all, or custom made or limited run boards directly from the manufacturers. There are plenty of pros and cons to each of these that have been discussed in detail, most recently in a video review by Ryan (Slaqr) at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/6064/crokinole/crokinole-...

Take out the Mayday board for a moment and you will see the delivered price to the USA options for a full-sized tournament board mentioned are:

Muzzies Tournament Board: $213.67 Delivered (in stock)
Hilinski Tournament Board: $200 Delivered (6-8 week wait time)
Hilinski Custom Tournament Board: $400 Delivered (6-8 week wait time)
Mr. Crokinole Round Tournament Board: $290 USD (not sure on shipping, in stock)

It struck me that not only was there not much between a $30 Target version and a $200 or more Tournament board, but there weren't any crokinole boards available in Local Game Stores in the USA at any price. Sure a local game store could order a Hilinski or Muzzies board but then they would have to mark it up to double what they paid to make money on it. The pricing on these other boards is such that it can't be supported in a distribution chain, which is why Crokinole hasn't been seen in local game stores in the US.

This was the reason Mayday decided to launch a Crokinole board, we wanted to get it out there at the $100-150 price point and make it available to a much larger percentage of the board gaming world. We hadn't seen it at conventions or in stores, or in US events/tournaments and really thought it deserved it's place out there.

We sent some samples and worked with our factory to finally get what we felt was a decent, affordable board out there at a reasonable price. If you check Ryan's thread you will see you can get one of our boards DELIVERED in the USA for about $130 USD. It is a mid-price/mid-range board that can be and is being carried by local game stores.

We had 10-12 of them airmailed in from the factory for GenCon last year and had all of our opened/demo boards sold almost immediately to people who saw them and played on them. We also took it to Essen this year and were very happy with the response in Europe with the game.

We aren't out to replace the higher-end boards and fully expect there will be many people who play on our boards at a convention or see it at a local game store that will opt to go out and get a custom, high-end board instead of ours. Our goal with our board is simply to get the game out there and allow US game stores (and now EU game stores) to carry this wonderful game, even if our board isn't heir-loom quality like a Hilinski board would be.

It is to this end that we would like to ask YOU to check with local after school clubs, libraries, churches or other local charitable organizations to see if they would like to receive a FREE crokinole board. Just to clarify, these will be for new, unused boards and not returned boards. This is for USA charities only as shipping is quite expensive for a Crokinole board worldwide. We plan on giving away a board every four weeks to a nominated charity from this thread. We will ship the board directly to the organization and include 4 sets of discs at no cost.

We know there have been some out there who are detractors of Mayday, too. You are more than welcome to voice your opinions about our boards, our sleeves, our tokens or our other games on other threads here on BGG, or send me a geekmail personally if you'd like. We would ask that this thread be focused on local organizations who could benefit from a Crokinole board instead.

Please post here if you have a charity you'd like us to consider and geekmail us the details so we can contact them directly. We will then post here each month as to what charity is sent a board. We will plan on sending out the first board on May 1, in a couple of weeks.

Please help us spread the joy of Crokinole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Very noble of you Seth, I applaud this effort! If you want people to check my thread that you have referenced, I would suggest you link it. I will refrain from doing so to avoid hijacking your thread! Again, you are doing a good thing here...thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think crokinole would be a good addition to any fire station in the country. Firefighters work long shifts, and spend a good deal of their time living at their stations. Crokinole would be a fitting thanks for the often dangerous work they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How about you donate them to the homeless community? I don't have contact info for a specific charity, but if you want to cut out the middle man, just toss the boards in a dumpster and the homeless will know where to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Veterans' Homes and Veterans' hospitals are great candidates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to recommend a specific local location of a worthy charity, presumably with an actual address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Lee is correct, we need specific information on a charity you'd like us to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like you to consider my classroom. As a donation it is tax deductible and will influence hundreds of youngsters for years to come. I have a game day about once every two weeks in my classrooms and all my students love game day.

I have several other posts and geeklists on the BGG about games in my classroom and invite you to look at them.

If you are interested in sending a game to my classroom please use the following address:

Zack Boatman
C/O English Department
Santa Fe High School
2100 Yucca
Santa Fe, NM 87505

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Godwin
United States
Branson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual, you guys rise above the criticisms and just keep doing what you do best, - supporting gamers, of all kinds, everywhere.

I would like to submit our church for consideration. Its name is Woodland Hills Family Church and is in Branson, Missouri. I would guess we're somewhere in the 700 - 1100 congregation size (huge for Branson), which means a rather large amount of children and young adults. Just among the 11yo - 14yo, there are many who would love to have this to use. Throw in those both younger and older who would want to get in on the fun and it would be HEAVILY used. My sons and I have shared our Mayday Crokinole board with a few of their young friends and they never can get enough of it. Now, they're coming over asking to play it. None of their parents have ever heard of Crokinole and balk at the price since all they have to compare it to are the prices of Walmart-range games (Monopoly, Sorry, etc.), - yeah, they're pretty ignorant of the REAL games that are out there. This would be a good place to introduce a lot of kids, teens, young adults, and various old guys about the simple fun that a Crokinole board can be. That it's family-centric is an especially positive aspect, as well.

To foster enough interest to get a club/tournament going would be great for the "locals" and tourists, alike. We get a LOT of tourists coming to this "small town" throughout the year. Additionally, we have tourists coming to our church throughout the year who would take their exposure to the game back to their States and to their homes.

Their physical address is located at the bottom of their website's homepage.
www.woodhills.org

Whether they receive one, or not, - if anyone's ever in town, come on by. We've got the best contemporary Christian-rock band in town.

Thanks,
-Lee Godwin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zboat wrote:
I would like you to consider my classroom. As a donation it is tax deductible and will influence hundreds of youngsters for years to come. I have a game day about once every two weeks in my classrooms and all my students love game day.

I have several other posts and geeklists on the BGG about games in my classroom and invite you to look at them.

If you are interested in sending a game to my classroom please use the following address:

Zack Boatman
C/O English Department
Santa Fe High School
2100 Yucca
Santa Fe, NM 87505

Thanks

The first one was delivered to Zack Boatman's school for their use. We decided to send them the new Premium Board and hope the students will enjoy the game. It went out in May. We haven't had many suggestions or feedback so may wait until July to send another out! Thanks for your input everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out about his. This is an awesome gesture on the part of Mayday Games. And since I love crokinole, I thought I would throw my favorite charitable organization into the ring.

I'm a member of United in Faith Lutheran Church. We are located on the Northwest side of the city of Chicago, and in addition to being a place of worship, we are also an extremely active community outreach center. We serve as a gathering place for various 12 step recovery programs, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Youth Outreach, Seniors Club, and other organizations.

In addition, we also serve as a location for Chicago's Golden Diner's program, a program that serves lunch to seniors throughout Chicago, giving them a place to meet, have lunch and various programs, and play games.

Finally, we also house the St. Cyprians Food Pantry. This outreach group provides food for "working poor" families on the NW side of Chicago. Over the past 10 years, the number of families we are servicing has risen from 400 families to over 2000 families in 2010.

A crokinole board would be a great addition to our facility, and would be used by many people.

United In Faith's website

Thanks again for the consideration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just have to say that the board you sent to my classroom is great!

I will have a geeklist up soon with pictures of my students playing; my students have never seen the game and they love it.

I can't thank you enough for the wonderful donation to my classroom.

Thanks,

Zack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the Library Board of our small Community Library which is also something of a gathering place for families. We are always looking for ways to bring more families in. While some libraries are bringing in a Wii and having Guitar Hero parties, I think one of your Crokinole boards would help us accomplish the same thing with a lot more elegance and style.
If you'd like to donate a board to our community library, send me a message and I'll send you their address.
Thanks for the consideration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have emailed the contact info of your charity Marty and if they agree we will send them out a board in early July after Origins.

NinjaBob, we will keep your charity on the list of possibles for our next board too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
We have emailed the contact info of your charity Marty and if they agree we will send them out a board in early July after Origins.

NinjaBob, we will keep your charity on the list of possibles for our next board too!

Thanks a lot, Seth! I've e-mailed our pastor as well to let him know about your e-mail! This is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Spencer
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Doug is planting a church in Oklahoma City this year, City Presbyterian (http://citypresokc.com). Doug is an avid boardgamer and many of his friends who will be starting the church play games often. If City Pres had a Crokinole board, I'm confident it would see years and years of happy use. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake,

Please geekmail me the details so we can put this worthy charity on the list! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Durham
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My classroom would love a Crokinole board. I teach middle school alternative education, and regularly use games for developing social skills and hobbies in the classroom. During spring I help run the after-school chess club (where we feature other games as well).

I also bring games to our local teen center for game days, Crokinole would be a great addition as many of the younger kids are put-off by the complexity of popular games like Pandemic and Catan.

I will geekmail you contact info. This is a very generous offer. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DONE! We will ship off the 3rd free board in as many months to Mr. McNamara's very worthy cause! It is going out tomorrow and we have geekmailed you the details. Thanks for recommending this cause!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Durham
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole is a HUGE hit in my classroom. Playing for 10 minutes at the end of study hall is a great motivator to complete work. It's been a nice way for kids to team up and socialize with people they normally wouldn't spend "free time" with.

I also used a (SI measurement) variant for scoring: the students measure the distance of their pieces from the center (to the nearest .01cm), lowest score wins (shooting the center hole gets you -10cm).

Thanks again for sending Crokinole my classroom, the board is perfect, and the gaming is excellent!

Conan (aka Mr. Mc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Serven
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Our board for City Pres in Oklahoma City arrived in the mail today. All Jake told me was a 17 lb package should be sitting on my door.
I couldn't believe it when I saw what it was! What the what?!

So we've played a few games already and I've taught 3 people how to play. I can't wait to put it on my wall in our new house when we move to start our ministry. Board games are such a great way to get people together and develop real community.

Thanks for sending it. I'm a huge fan of what you're doing.

Doug Serven
Church Planter
City Presbyterian Church
Oklahoma City
www.citypresokc.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are liking it! Thanks for contacting us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Anderson
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
My students would love to have a crokinole board. I teach physics at Milford Mill Academy in Baltimore, Md and would love to incorporate this into my lessons on vectors and forces. My students are very goal/results oriented and I would also use a crokinole board as an additional competitive and motivational tool for review days. My classroom is always full whenever I incorporate gaming into my lessons and activities, especially if the students feel that they have a chance to beat the teachers; and I would love to have one more tool to engage my students and grow the school community. Than you for your consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James, we are sending your charity out our October board today! Hope your kids like it and enjoy the game and strategy/learning elements of it. Have a great weekend, I just geekmailed you the tracking #.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Anderson
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much for the board. My students had a great time using it for vector challange games. I set them up with challanges that required them to first solve a problem related to the force and angle required to place their disc in a certain spot, then challenged them to physically make the shot. They also had a great time using it as a review game where students who answered questions correctly got a chance to put thier disc into scoring positions and knock their classmates out of position. Finally they also enjoyed using the game as intended, especially when they had an opportunity to beat the teacher.

James Anderson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.