Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. recently, the ruling has come to light that all Jump Icons generated in a turn are resolved at the end of the turn, regardless of when they happened (most notably the State of Emergency + Caprica situation).

It got me thinking, what is the fastest possible Kobol win for the Humans?
Assumptions: A perfectly stacked deck, friendly (or unlucky, or stupid) cylons, perfect die rolls, and crises that don't otherwise kill you (and automatically pass their skillchecks when needed, because I'm too lazy to do that math).

Here's what I've come up with; call it a 6 player game:

Turn 1.1:
Helena Cain plays Critical Situation.
As her first action, she Blind Jumps, which luckily leads the fleet to the Lion's Head Nebula. (Distance 3).

As her second action, she plays State of Emergency.
During the State of Emergency, Caprica Six activates Caprica, with some irrelevant crisis that has a Jump Icon. (As noted above, this won't trigger until end of turn).
Also during the State of Emergency, somebody else moves to FTL (because Gaeta can't be going second, if using standard character selection rules).

Crisis: Legendary Discovery. Lo and behold, it passes.
Sleeper Phase is triggered, and 6's Jump Track Icon is triggered, and then the Lion's Head Nebula text is triggered.
(Distance 4, Jump Track at -3 Pop).

Turn 1.2:
Whoever moved to FTL presses the button (or is XO'd to do so), and Admiral Cain chooses a 3-distance destination.
(Distance 7, Jump Track reset)
(Whew! New Caprica would be triggered already! But let's move on!)
Crisis: Crippled Raider. It passes. Jump track advances twice.
(Distance 7, Jump Track at second red space)

Turn 1.3:
Caprica Six activates Caprica again, choosing some irrelevant crisis with a Jump Icon.
(Distance 7, Jump Track at -3 Pop)

Turn 1.4:
FTL gets activated again (by XO or movement).
(Distance 8+, Jump Track reset)
(Crossroads would be triggered already! But let's move on to Kobol!)
Crisis: Network Computers. It passes. Jump track advances twice.
(Distance 8+, Jump Track at second red space)

Turn 1.5:
An uneventful turn. Crisis: Something that advances the jump track.
(Distance 8+, Jump Track at -3 Pop).

Turn 1.6:
Button gets pushed. Win!

Can you do better? Or did I make horrible logic errors that make one of my steps impossible?
Does anyone want to do the math to prove whether the named crises could auto-pass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
bitsofboardgames.blogspot.com My Game Blog
mbmbmbmbmb
I only get two jump icons at the start of 1.2 - one from six, one from lion's head nebula since ld doesn't have a jump.

If boomer is around her opg passes one crises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems correct to me. Lion's Head Nebula moves the jump track to Red 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
So.. recently, the ruling has come to light that all Jump Icons generated in a turn are resolved at the end of the turn, regardless of when they happened (most notably the State of Emergency + Caprica situation).

It got me thinking, what is the fastest possible Kobol win for the Humans?
Assumptions: A perfectly stacked deck, friendly (or unlucky, or stupid) cylons, perfect die rolls, and crises that don't otherwise kill you (and automatically pass their skillchecks when needed, because I'm too lazy to do that math).

Here's what I've come up with; call it a 6 player game:

Turn 1.1:
Helena Cain plays Critical Situation.
As her first action, she Blind Jumps, which luckily leads the fleet to the Lion's Head Nebula. (Distance 3).

As her second action, she plays State of Emergency.
During the State of Emergency, Caprica Six activates Caprica, with some irrelevant crisis that has a Jump Icon. (As noted above, this won't trigger until end of turn).
Also during the State of Emergency, somebody else moves to FTL (because Gaeta can't be going second, if using standard character selection rules).

Crisis: Legendary Discovery. Lo and behold, it passes.
Sleeper Phase is triggered, and 6's Jump Track Icon is triggered, and then the Lion's Head Nebula text is triggered.
(Distance 4, Jump Track at -3 Pop).

Turn 1.2:
Whoever moved to FTL presses the button (or is XO'd to do so), and Admiral Cain chooses a 3-distance destination.
(Distance 7, Jump Track reset)
(Whew! New Caprica would be triggered already! But let's move on!)
Crisis: Crippled Raider. It passes. Jump track advances twice.
(Distance 7, Jump Track at second red space)

Turn 1.3:
Caprica Six activates Caprica again, choosing some irrelevant crisis with a Jump Icon.
(Distance 7, Jump Track at -3 Pop)

Turn 1.4:
FTL gets activated again (by XO or movement).
(Distance 8+, Jump Track reset)
(Crossroads would be triggered already! But let's move on to Kobol!)
Crisis: Network Computers. It passes. Jump track advances twice.
(Distance 8+, Jump Track at second red space)

Turn 1.5:
An uneventful turn. Crisis: Something that advances the jump track.
(Distance 8+, Jump Track at -3 Pop).

Turn 1.6:
Button gets pushed. Win!

Can you do better? Or did I make horrible logic errors that make one of my steps impossible?
Does anyone want to do the math to prove whether the named crises could auto-pass?

Sounds about right. THis was done a couple of times before to show that Helo could still be stranded by the time they reach New Caprica, and with even more things falling into place, still be stranded when humans win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do better than that...

Turn 1: Ellen Tigh moves to the Armory, slips Boomer an Executive Order with Politically Adriot, then plays an XO on Admiral Cain.
Admiral Cain begins the game just like the Second Cylon War, with a Blind Jump into a Cylon Ambush (Distance 3). Her crew begins work to Network Computers (+2 jump prep)

Turn 2: Cain Cally checks in on Ally Felix Gaeta's (+ jump prep) progress in the FTL Control. Better than expected; coordinates have been sent to jump to a Deep Space (Distance 5). Suspicion of Sleeper agent Cylons lands Boomer in the Brig, and the Brass takes the opportunity to Consult the Prisoner (+2 jump prep).

Turn 3: Boomer confers with her fellow captive Ally Gina Invierre (Caprica Six; +1 jump prep), and plays that Executive Order on Cain Cally, for yet another jump to... The Lion's Head Nebula (Distance 8, + 2 jump prep), where she is Scanned at the Crossroads and orders an Attack (+1 jump prep). Galactica weathers the Raider onslaught, then analyzes a Crippled Raider (+2 jump prep) to Auto-Jump for home on turn 3.

Edit: Oh... Kobol win... I guess this doesn't count then... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
You can do better than that...

Turn 1: Ellen Tigh moves to the Armory, slips Boomer an Executive Order with Politically Adriot, then plays an XO on Admiral Cain.
Admiral Cain begins the game just like the Second Cylon War, with a Blind Jump into a Cylon Ambush (Distance 3). Her crew begins work to Network Computers (+2 jump prep)

Turn 2: Cain checks in on Ally Felix Gaeta's (+ jump prep) progress in the FTL Control. Better than expected; coordinates have been sent to jump to a Deep Space (Distance 5). Suspicion of Sleeper agent Cylons lands Boomer in the Brig, and the Brass takes the opportunity to Consult the Prisoner (+2 jump prep).

Turn 3: Boomer confers with her fellow captive Ally Gina Invierre (Caprica Six; +1 jump prep), and plays that Executive Order on Cain, for yet another jump to... The Lion's Head Nebula (Distance 8, + 2 jump prep), where she is Scanned at the Crossroads and orders an Attack (+1 jump prep). Galactica weathers the Raider onslaught, then analyzes a Crippled Raider (+2 jump prep) to Auto-Jump for home on turn 3.

Only problem is that Cain cannot activate FTL. You need to change the character in turn two to someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Only problem is that Cain cannot activate FTL. You need to change the character in turn two to someone else.

Good catch! But I specifically wrote the log with as few characters as possible to leave room for these sort of things. Literally any human character in the game will fit, except Gaeta and the three already in use. How about Cally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can do turn 4 without the Ionian Nebula...

Turn 1: Cally moves to FTL Control and plays an XO on Admiral Cain, who, like she always does, Blind Jumps to the Lion's Head Nebula. Any Crisis with Jump Prep will do here.

Turn 2: Baltar XOs Cally who Discharges a Firearm at Gaeta (who turns out to be Cylon), and activates FTL Control to jump to Deep Space. We get an Additional Jump Crisis here.

Turn 3: Gaeta moves to Caprica; any Crisis with Jump Prep will do here.

Turn 4: Apollo plays State of Emergency; Cally activates FTL again, landing in a Cylon Ambush, and Gaeta and Caprica Six give us Crises; Caprica gives us a Jump Prep, Gaeta draws a pair of Additional Jump Crises, so he's forced to play one, and the last Additional Jump Crisis comes on the River to take us home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:

That's a lot of Additional Jump Crises.. Do that many actually exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
pseudotheist wrote:

That's a lot of Additional Jump Crises.. Do that many actually exist?

Consult the Prisoner
Crippled Raider
Network Computers
The Passage

Those should be the ones that both have a Jump Icon and provide an additional Jump Prep on a passed Skill Check.

By "+Jump Crisis", I was meaning any Crisis with a Jump Icon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Game Fastest Cylon Win:

Turn 1: Crisis Heavy Assault, both basestars damage Galactica.

Turn 2: Current player XO's another player, who reveals, doing two damage to Galactica. Then the current player's crisis occurs, with basestar attacks, which cause the last two damage.

Is there any way that Cylons win on Turn 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Base Game Fastest Cylon Win:

Turn 1: Crisis Heavy Assault, both basestars damage Galactica.

Turn 2: Current player XO's another player, who reveals, doing two damage to Galactica. Then the current player's crisis occurs, with basestar attacks, which cause the last two damage.

Base game plus Exodus.

A player XO's Baltar who uses his OPG to scan the Admiral. The Admiral's loyalty card is the Final Five card that damages Galactica twice. For his second action Baltar reveals causing two more damage. Finally the crisis is Mysterious Message. The skill check reveals Broadcast Location placing a second Basestar on the board. The crisis fails and both Basestars hit Galactica destroying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone from my university society claimed and explained how to perform a turn 1 human victory, by abusing State of Emergency and Support the People.

There's an inconsequential error in assuming jump preps occur immediately - it's not hard to see that it can be worked around (actually pretty much ignored). Asides from that I haven't seen any mistakes in it.

It could easily be adapted for a turn 1 Cylon victory, since the resources hit zero pretty easily with it (this method).

Quote:
There are a few slightly different ways to do it [turn 1 victory]. They all require a massive amount of luck with card draws to set up. One example would be a seven player game with the character choices being: Apollo, "Caprica" Six, Tom Zarek, William Adama, Helo, Dee and Tory. For their starting three cards everyone except Tory draws as much leadership as possible for a total of 9 cards. Their remaining draws are all politics (4 cards total) apart from Dee and Helo who draw tactics. As the skill decks are 30 cards (with all the expansions) and the destiny deck will remove another 2 cards, we are left with 19 cards in the leadership deck and 24 in politics with no cards in either discard pile (L19(0)/P24(0)). Assume that Tory draws both support the peoples and Zarek a Political Prowess.

Apollo draws his starting hand and takes one card from leadership and one from politics. We need his draw to include critical situation, state of emergency and consolidate power. In the movement phase he plays critical situation to get an action to play state of emergency and then discards a piloting to move back to Galatica (his viper is returned to the reserves) (L18(1)/P23(0)).

Six then activates Caprica to play a crisiss and happens to draw medical breakthrough, Tory plays support the people and everyone except Tory draws as much leadership as they can (9 cards). Since Dee has only one leadership she also draws a tactics [this is a rule misunderstanding the society had been using until I corrected it - obviously this is still a legal play though]) and Tory draws two politics. Dee uses her OPG to draw three leadership cards and keeps them. Finally everyone plays all their leadership and politics (except for Apollo's consolidate power) and the destiny deck it's two politics which will definitely reach the twelve difficulty. W. Adama uses his OPG to draw the played cards into his hand and then the pass effect of the crisis card allows every human to draw a card. Everybody draws leadership (L0(1)/P21(1)).

Zarek plays his one quorum card, which happens to be assign vice president, on W. Adama and draws two politics cards. Tory uses her ability to draw a politics and a leadership. As the leadership pile is empty the discard pile is shuffled in and she draws state of emergency (L0(0)/P18(1)).

W. Adama discards an engineering to move to president's office (L0(0)/P18(1)).

Helo is absent (L0(0)/P18(1)).

Dee moves to command (L0(0)/P18(1)).

Tory plays state of emergency and uses the granted action to draw two politics with press office (L0(1)/P16(1)).

Apollo plays consolidate power to draw a politics and a leadership. The leadership will be state of emergency and we will assume the politics is consolidate power (L0(0)/P15(2)).

Six plays fulfiller of prophecy. W. Adama plays support the people and every human except him draws two cards. Everyone who can draw politics does (6 cards). Helo's and Dee's draws will be tactics instead. No cards are played on the skill check and the destiny deck provides two leadership that adds up to at least six thus triggering the pass effect. Apollo draws a politics card (L0(2)/P8(3)).

Zarek activates administration on W. Adama and W. Adama uses political prowess to auto succeed the check thus gaining the presidency (L0(2)/P8(4)).

W. Adama uses the president's office to draw and play assign chief of staff on Zarek then W. Adama and Tory draw two politics and two leadership respectively (L0(0)/P6(4)).

Helo is absent (L0(0)/P6(4)).

Dee uses command to activate an arbitrary viper then to launch a viper. Apollo launches in the viper and uses his free action to play state of emergency then discards his last piloting to move back to Galactica (L0(1)/P6(4)).

Six plays the temple of the five, a skill check crisis. The destiny deck provides two engineering or tactics with total value 9+ thus passing the check. The pass effect allows Apollo to draw two cards and he chooses politics. Assume that at least one of the cards he draws is a consolidate power (L0(0)/P4(4)).

Zarek is assumed to have drawn consolidate power earlier and plays it to draw two politics (L0(1)/P2(5)).

W. Adama uses the president's office to draw and play assign arbitrator then he draws two politics and Tory draws state of emergency and a politics card (L0(0)/P4(0)).

Helo is absent (L0(0)/P4(0)).

Dee declines to act (L0(0)/P4(0)).

Tory plays state of emergency and uses the granted action to play consolidate power (which she is assumed to have drawn when she last drew politics cards) she draws two politics. She is assumed to draw political prowess as one of cards. The politics deck is now entirely made up of support the peoples and/or consolidate powers and Apollo has at least two consolidate powers in his six card hand(L0(1)/P2(0)).

From this point on you can loop indefinitely with no luck factor. Apollo uses consolidate power to draw state of emergency and a politics card which will be either consolidate power or support the people (so long as none else discards any other politics cards) if the later then he plays it on a skill check the next time he has 5 or less cards to draw two politics at least one of which must be a consolidate power. Finally someone uses command to launch him and give him an extra action to play state of emergency then discard a card to return him and his viper to Galactica. His hand is kept topped up with extra cards to discard with support the people.

On the next cycle W. Adama uses a quorum card to allow Tory to draw state of Emergency and any other card of her choice. He can avoid being forced to play bad quorum cards by drawing two cards on Apollo's cycles. Tory can then play state of emergency on her action, and we then return to Apollo's part of the loop.

The only random factor is the quorum deck [I think he meant destiny deck here], but as we can control when skill checks occur we can make sure to only refill the deck when the leadership pile is empty so state of emergency will not be sucked up into the destiny deck and the destiny deck will never discard cards into the leadership deck. Also the only politics cards in the deck will be ones we have discarded at some point so there is no risk of unwanted politics cards appearing. Also many characters are not needed to maintain the loop so they can use their free actions to draw up the tactics deck so that we can spam guts and initiative to ignore destiny altogether.

Once the tactics deck has been drawn we can concentrate on drawing engineering cards, which can be used on any skill check thanks to scientific research. Meanwhile six keeps looping the crises deck and looking for those cards that will give +1 jump prep if a check is passed. Once we our one jump from success and jump prep is one off auto jump she stops playing crises. As our food will have long ago hit zero due to repeated use of state of emergency and other resources may also be at zero we cannot jump immediately. Instead we store up actions for the president by having someone who acts before him activate command. As the state of emergency loop was not finished the stored actions will resolve as soon as we stop playing state of emergency. The president can use this arbitrarily high number of actions to play quorum cards to restore all resources to an arbitrarily high number then activate FTL control to win the game.

Of course, I make no guarantee it's actually entirely correct, but I'd love to see confirmation either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to check through that one with a fine-toothed comb, I Eat Tables, but I understand the concept; emptying out the Leadership deck and taking advantage of the fact that State of Emergency doesn't limit you from playing it an infinite number of times. Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
Someone from my university society claimed and explained how to perform a turn 1 human victory, by abusing State of Emergency and Support the People.
Quote:

Of course, I make no guarantee it's actually entirely correct, but I'd love to see confirmation either way.

I believe this may break down here:
In order to make it to distance 8 + jump on the fist turn, you're going to need 4 Jump Cycles at 5 Jump Prep each. That's 20 Jump Prep. Subtract 4 prep for the 4 Additional Jump Crises, and that gives you 16 Crises. You get one Crises per use of State of Emergency, and 1 for the turn itself, so you're losing 15 Food on that. You start with 8, there are 2 Food Rationings (1 time use), for 2 more, and 4 +1 Food Crises (all with Jump Prep), for a total of 14 available Food. That leaves Enact Production Quotas, which can be cycled, eventually. The first 3 rounds burn 1 Quorum card Per turn, then settling into the maximum pickup rate of 3 Quorum cards per 2 turns. So, 12 rounds gets through 18 cards of the 26 remaining cards in the Quorum deck. Pushing for more rounds is pointless, as you can't gain more than the 1 Food you lose each round. So, you end up at best at 0 Food

There are three possibilities that could save this theoretical game:
1) I believe I may have missed one more +Food Quorum card. If that's the case, it would bring the best case Food up to 1.
2)If the beginning of the scenario were to be re-engineered such that maybe Zarek starts off, and plays Preventative Policy on Food, before playing the State of Emergency, that would bring us up to +1 Food maximum potential.
2) I don't recall the ruling on tracking resources into negatives during the course of a turn; if the ruling is that resources never drop below 0, then it's all academic, and you just have to end the cycle on Enact Production Quotas to end up with 1 Food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find the ruling anywhere, but I'm sure I've read it, that if a resource is reduced below zero it caps at zero. That's the idea being used here. Of course, this might be wrong. I can't find it either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hirsch
United States
Holliston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can shave 2 turns off if you have a very cooperative and lucky Cavil player. Legendary Discovery is really unneccessary as it doesn't reduce the number of jumps. The key is to use the 4 cards that can push the jump track twice.

Turn 1.1
Cain plays Critical Situation.
As her first action, she Blind Jumps to Lion's Head Nebula. (Distance 3, jump track +2)

Then she plays State of Emergency. Cavil moves to Caprica.
Cain's crisis is any single jump icon, jump track +1
(Distance 3, jump track +3)

Turn 1.2
Human player moves to FTL and pushes the button. Fleet jumps to Cylon Ambush. (Distance 6)
Crisis is The Passage, increase Jump Track twice (Distance 6, jump track +2)

Turn 1.3
Cavil's turn. He uses his OPG on Caprica to resolve 3 Crisis cards. We don't even have to worry about cylon ship activation.
He chooses Consult the Prisoner, Network Computers, and Crippled Raider, each passing and pushing jump prep a total of 6 times. This will cause the fleet to jump once, and destination needs to be distance 2 or greater (as long as it costs less than 3 fuel!)
(Distance 6, jump track +4) (Distance 8, jump track +1), (Distance 8, jump track +3)

Turn 1.4
Human player moves to FTL (or XO's the player that's already there). Jump to human victory.

I think there are theoretically enough cards in players hands to pass all the checks, even if destiny is weak. It's even easier if there are more than 4 players, or Boomer can autopass a crisis.

Any mistakes?

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
I can't find the ruling anywhere, but I'm sure I've read it, that if a resource is reduced below zero it caps at zero. That's the idea being used here. Of course, this might be wrong. I can't find it either way.

+1 I know i've read it, now where? sigh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pagan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Quote:
Any mistakes?

Not a mistake but it won't work in a 5 or 7 player game, as the only Agenda that would get a cooperative Cavil is Guide them to Destiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily R
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Mundane wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:

Base game plus Exodus.

A player XO's Baltar who uses his OPG to scan the Admiral. The Admiral's loyalty card is the Final Five card that damages Galactica twice. For his second action Baltar reveals causing two more damage. Finally the crisis is Mysterious Message. The skill check reveals Broadcast Location placing a second Basestar on the board. The crisis fails and both Basestars hit Galactica destroying it.

Pexodus solution that is nominally faster, since a resource is at zero before the crisis is drawn:
Characters: Cally, Caprica, Cain, and three arbitrary (say Roslin, Boomer, and Baltar). Zarek plays a critical role, but enters off an execution.

Cain goes first. Moves to Airlock, plays State of Emergency. Her SoE action is to Airlock Boomer, who comes back as Starbuck. -1 Morale (9)
Next Cally, who uses her OPG to kill Starbuck. -1 Morale (8) Starbuck returns as Zarek.
Zarek activates the Administration. The only card played is Iron Will, and destiny is negative. -1 Morale (7)
Caprica Six activates Caprica. She plays Colonial Day, chooses the skill check. The only card played is Iron Will, and destiny is negative. -3 Morale (4)
Roslin XOs Cain. Cain's first XO action is to airlock Zarek, who comes back as Kat. -1 Morale (3) Her second is to blind jump to Deep Space, destroying the clown ship. -2 Morale (1).
Baltar reveals as a Cylon, reducing Morale to zero.
Crisis step...

Which goes to show that all things are possible with State of Emergency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:
Quote:

In order to make it to distance 8 + jump on the fist turn, you're going to need 4 Jump Cycles at 5 Jump Prep each. That's 20 Jump Prep. Subtract 4 prep for the 4 Additional Jump Crises, and that gives you 16 Crises. You get one Crises per use of State of Emergency, and 1 for the turn itself, so you're losing 15 Food on that. You start with 8, there are 2 Food Rationings (1 time use), for 2 more, and 4 +1 Food Crises (all with Jump Prep), for a total of 14 available Food. That leaves Enact Production Quotas, which can be cycled, eventually. The first 3 rounds burn 1 Quorum card Per turn, then settling into the maximum pickup rate of 3 Quorum cards per 2 turns. So, 12 rounds gets through 18 cards of the 26 remaining cards in the Quorum deck. Pushing for more rounds is pointless, as you can't gain more than the 1 Food you lose each round. So, you end up at best at 0 Food

1) I believe I may have missed one more +Food Quorum card. If that's the case, it would bring the best case Food up to 1.
2)If the beginning of the scenario were to be re-engineered such that maybe Zarek starts off, and plays Preventative Policy on Food, before playing the State of Emergency, that would bring us up to +1 Food maximum potential.
2) I don't recall the ruling on tracking resources into negatives during the course of a turn; if the ruling is that resources never drop below 0, then it's all academic, and you just have to end the cycle on Enact Production Quotas to end up with 1 Food.

Just for completeness:

You can also gain food on destinations, but only on distance 1 destinations, so the best you can do is use a +1 food destination, and use Legendary Discovery. Legendary Discovery doesn't have a jump icon most of the time, which would require another Crisis, and so another food, but use of the Engine Room would fix that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Pearce
England
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
pseudotheist wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:
Quote:

Just for completeness:

You can also gain food on destinations, but only on distance 1 destinations, so the best you can do is use a +1 food destination, and use Legendary Discovery. Legendary Discovery doesn't have a jump icon most of the time, which would require another Crisis, and so another food, but use of the Engine Room would fix that...

It also doesn't include the use of Zarek's OPG. And Blind Jump, Lion's head nebula and FTL reducing the number of jump preps required from 20 down to something like 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KraZug wrote:
It also doesn't include the use of Zarek's OPG. And Blind Jump, Lion's head nebula and FTL reducing the number of jump preps required from 20 down to something like 7.

Blind Jump saves 5, LHN another 2, and FTL can be used twice before you run out of extra-jump crises, saving 2 each time, making 9, 4 of which come from extra-jumps, so a total of 5 crises (to cover the final jump). Yeah, assuming you can fit in the actions required (blind jump has to be before the second crisis, and the first FTL activation before the third) it looks like an easy ride...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of this hangs on when you discard SoE. Do you discard it as soon as it's played, or does it stay "in play" until you're finished resolving it, then go to the discard? That certainly seems like a reasonable ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.