Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has a slightly different take on this...

Nothing says madman like a PnPer running with scissors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Check out The Print and Play Games News Blog!
badge
Escape from Nooseneck High is Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
sean4star wrote:
My wife has a slightly different take on this...

Nothing says madman like a PnPer running with scissors

My wife simplifies it even further. "Nothing says madman like a PnPer."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
the 1/golden scissors icon might look something like this then

I like the look of that. I guess the other option is to try and put a tiny pair of golden scissors into this guy's hand.
mb

I like Golden Scissors because the scissors are an accepted symbol for PnP (even though I rarely use actual scissors) and the gold indicates a contest was involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i could also work up a golden xacto blade perhaps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just made a copy of Raider 16 Atlantis.
Anyone making a bgg page for the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stophle wrote:
I've just made a copy of Raider 16 Atlantis.
Anyone making a bgg page for the game?

I think that the designer said he wanted to do a little bit more work on the game before adding it to the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok, I see. I hope I'll have the time to play it and give some feedback. My vacation is still over a month away though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mansfield
United States
Bellingham
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the continuing interest in the game. Truth be told, I've been meaning to add it to the BGG database but I've just been swamped with life stuff - something about 165 15 year olds demanding daily attention at work that takes up all my time.

I'm looking forward to some down time in another month or so and will get it up then. Thanks for your patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a longer than expected delay due to a very busy class, I have finally started my review project. My goal is to write a review for each game entered in this contest that has a BGG game entry.

I have started a geeklist to track the reviews. If you'd like to be notified of reviews as I write them, please subscribe to that geeklist. Feel free to comment on the items there and discuss the reviews. There's only one review done so far but I'll be working on them over the next several months.

The 2011 Print and Play Solitaire Contest Reviews

I have also updated the first post of the contest with this information. The first review is for the game Bibliogamo and has already been posted. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doodling a bit on microbadge ideas as well. I don't have any major ideas, but here's what I've thought of so far.

The ideas are basically the word SOLO broken into two lines with a pair od scissors on top, The number one with a pair of scissors, or the words SOLO PNP spelled out.

I think the all of the word ones will be hard to cram into 16x16 pixels. It's hard to tell what the SOLO + Scissors is in my drawing so it would probably be impossible in Microbadge form. I think the best design so far is the the number 1 with a pair of scissors. Todd Sanders has already put together a version of it.

What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any designers that have printed out a high-quality version of their games and would like to trade them, please feel free to Offer Your PnP Game in the OCT USA MT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to make the "L" the open scissors, and the "O"s the eyes?

I don't know that there is....

This is a really really horrible example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
at 16x16 pixels very little detail can be designed in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can do this in a minute, I am sure someone with some skill and talent can actually make something nice... Just another idea for the pile...

The only reason is that when I see the scissors and a 1 it makes me think of a badge you might get for participating in your first PNP contest, nothing about the number 1 screams solo to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
If I can do this in a minute, I am sure someone with some skill and talent can actually make something nice... Just another idea for the pile...

The only reason is that when I see the scissors and a 1 it makes me think of a badge you might get for participating in your first PNP contest, nothing about the number 1 screams solo to me...

I like this idea. I think that could work out to look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 6
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
After a longer than expected delay due to a very busy class, I have finally started my review project. My goal is to write a review for each game entered in this contest that has a BGG game entry.

I have started a geeklist to track the reviews. If you'd like to be notified of reviews as I write them, please subscribe to that geeklist. Feel free to comment on the items there and discuss the reviews. There's only one review done so far but I'll be working on them over the next several months.

The 2011 Print and Play Solitaire Contest Reviews

I have also updated the first post of the contest with this information. The first review is for the game Bibliogamo and has already been posted. Enjoy!

well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:

I like this idea. I think that could work out to look pretty cool.

I agree. That looks really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight, you all should have received your long delayed contest participant microbadge. Everyone who designed a game for the contest or voted in the contest should have one. If anyone did not get theirs who should have, let me know and I'll correct it.

I asked Geert to design the microbadge for the contest based on Nate's idea. I really like what he came up with and hope you do as well. Wear them proudly! You earned them.

This seems like a good time as well to announce that I have reserved the time next year to do a follow up contest. The official time period of the contest will once again be July and August since that is the time that I am most free, but the contest will likely be open to any game released in 2012. Hopefully this gives people an opportunity to participate who weren't able to this year because the summer months aren't an ideal time for them.

The longer time period also allows for more development time. This contest is not about who can make a playable game in the shortest amount of time, it's about who can make the best game overall. I'd love to see games from the contest be published and further enlarge the exposure and good will of the Print and Play hobby that games like Zombie in my Pocket, D-Day Dice: Free Trial Version, and many many others have done.

I'll be posting a new thread for the 2012 Contest soon which will contain full contest rules but many of the basics from this year will remain the same. The games for this contest should be new (not entered in previous contests) and released in 2012. I'll likely be creating a web interface of some sort to handle voting since the email votes I took this year worked but were a little clunky.

There will also be a few special categories but this year I'd like to open them up for public voting. (Special prizes may still be offered and decided upon by individual users though.) The categories I'm thinking of are Wargame, Fantasy/Sci Fi Game, Zombie/Horror Game, Mystery Game, and Economic Game. (I'm definitely open to more categories if there's something that you'd like to see but I'd like to keep it a manageable number.) In addition to the five categories, I'll probably also offer smaller geekgold prizes for a few other things like Paragraph Systems, Ease of Construction, Best 15 Minute Game, Best Two Hour Game, etc.

Next year I'll have the microbadge done ahead of time so it can be awarded in a more timely manner.

Also of note, those who are following my contest reviews geeklist may have noticed that it ended abruptly after two reviews. I am still committed to doing the reviews and have notes written for several games, but I am in a class right now with a very heavy workload which has prevented me from being able to dedicate much time to the project. Believe me, I'd rather be writing game reviews than evaluations of security systems for unix based databases but one of those things pays more than the other so I've prioritized appropriately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robertson Sondoh Jr
Malaysia
Kota Kinabalu
Sabah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
solitaire pnp for 2012
I'm IN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Mascarenhas
Brazil
Teixeira de Freitas
Bahia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the microbadge as well the games I crafted and played. And for sure i'll be here to craft and play more games in 2012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spoke with P. D. Magnus (designer of Decktet) and he agreed to let me add a new category to the next year's contest for best Decktet game. Hopefully this brings a little bit of extra attention to the contest and adds a few new solitaire Decktet games to system.

I may end up combining that category as best Decktet/Traditional Card/Tarot game. This year we had a few traditional card games and one tarot game. I'me excited to add Decktet to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
I spoke with P. D. Magnus (designer of Decktet) and he agreed to let me add a new category to the next year's contest for best Decktet game. Hopefully this brings a little bit of extra attention to the contest and adds a few new solitaire Decktet games to system.

I may end up combining that category as best Decktet/Traditional Card/Tarot game. This year we had a few traditional card games and one tarot game. I'me excited to add Decktet to the mix.

Well, I guess I have to finally break down and get a Decktet. Oh darn.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the badge! Great execution - way better than I could have imagined! Surely flattered to have contributed some to it - as good as winning, actually... looking forward to next year...

Also, a publisher is currently reviewing Them! - no major expectations on my end, but it was flattering to have the request! So - thanks for giving me a reason to actually make something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who participated. Most especially thanks to Chris for running a great contest. I think it might be my overall favorite event/thing on BGG for this year, but it is definitely in the top 3, at least for me.

I truly look forward to next year's contest.

Mark
365ZED

P.S. 100 + a little something better than for the best zombie game by my judgement to come out of the 2012 contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on the Microbadge - really good. Excellent contest and some very good entries. Next year? Perhaps... we'll see - what do you think Rebekah?

Watch out for some news about Inspector Moss: House Arrest next year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  23 , 24 , 25 , 26 , 27  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.