Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Check out The Print and Play Games News Blog!
badge
Escape from Nooseneck High is Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
nedpatrick wrote:
Can two people work on one entry (i.e. one person writes and the other does graphic design)?

I'd be interested in an answer to this also (can two designers work on a single design as a duo?)

Absolutely! Team design work is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
There's a certain irony to having two designers for a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Submit your soul in triplicate to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Well, this is a bit weird... back in December I did some preliminary tinkering with a solo quest/wargame hybrid partially inspired by the old Lords of Midnight game. At some point I was going to try to start up a discussion on wargame AI problems and possibilities, basic principles and constraints, things to avoid, merits and flaws of existing solutions etc. Now it seems as if I could possibly finish the game to enter it into the competition, but then why start off by writing a pseudo-article on the subject? Maybe I'll just leech off of everyone else's WIP thread, haha. Ahahaha! HAA hahahahah haha haaa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Williams
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
chansen2794 wrote:
I agree that in order to vote for a game you should play it. It's a tough rule to enforce though and there's nothing stopping people from voting on games based on reading the rules or even just which game's name they like the best. Still, I will recommend that people only vote for games that they've played.

Honestly it would not bother me if I got votes based on the name of my game alone. I look at this as an opportunity to test how marketable a design idea would be, and in the real world people judge (and buy) books (and games) by their covers. A good name and solid box artwork is a requirement if you want your game to be taken seriously by a retailer, and what you stated about people voting for games they've never played greatly resembles impulse buys at the local game store (to me, at least).

I'll take this opportunity to mention I'm entering this contest I've wanted to design games all my life, but only recently realized that board and card games may be "my" medium. I was heavily sidetracked by the glamour of the PC game industry and am even now a Computer Science major at Wright State University. However, thanks to http://www.thegamecrafter.com I'm already closer to realizing my first finished, playable, game than ever before.

I'm really glad a place like Board Game Geek exists, full of articulate and intelligent people who don't just play games, they live for them. Feels like I'm finally home after over a decade of wandering the internet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern with votes for unplayed games is that games which have completely broken rulesets can get votes (I think that has happened), and games that look really cool but in reality are quite tedious can get votes (I think that has happened).

In a world of perfect information, word would get out that game A is unplayable and game B is really boring because X, Y, and Z. But because we put a gag order on public statements about games during the voting period, that kind of information can't get out.

Which leads me to think those two rules (ok to vote without playing, and not ok to talk about games) are incompatible.

Maybe there could be a side prize for "best looking game I haven't played".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atilla Kármán
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to offer 50GG for the best sci-fi themed solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZarqEon wrote:

Btw, I should probably mention that the 25 I put in is just for the general prize pool, or best overall, I suppose, if that's even a category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lohengramm wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:
I agree that in order to vote for a game you should play it. It's a tough rule to enforce though and there's nothing stopping people from voting on games based on reading the rules or even just which game's name they like the best. Still, I will recommend that people only vote for games that they've played.

Honestly it would not bother me if I got votes based on the name of my game alone. I look at this as an opportunity to test how marketable a design idea would be, and in the real world people judge (and buy) books (and games) by their covers. A good name and solid box artwork is a requirement if you want your game to be taken seriously by a retailer, and what you stated about people voting for games they've never played greatly resembles impulse buys at the local game store (to me, at least).

I'll take this opportunity to mention I'm entering this contest I've wanted to design games all my life, but only recently realized that board and card games may be "my" medium. I was heavily sidetracked by the glamour of the PC game industry and am even now a Computer Science major at Wright State University. However, thanks to http://www.thegamecrafter.com I'm already closer to realizing my first finished, playable, game than ever before.

I'm really glad a place like Board Game Geek exists, full of articulate and intelligent people who don't just play games, they live for them. Feels like I'm finally home after over a decade of wandering the internet

Hi Evan. I'm glad to hear that you're entering the contest and I can't wait to see your design. I honestly don't think there is anything that could be done to prevent someone from voting on a game they haven't played yet based on presentation. I could imagine that people like Todd Sanders (dumarest123) and Nick Hayes (Black Canyon) (and many other people) may have a bit of an advantage in these contests because of their incredible graphic design skills. It's possible that they may have gotten some votes from people who hadn't played them based on how professional their games looked. (I feel okay mentioning them since they also design excellent games and both were well deserving of winning the previous contests.)

peakhope wrote:
My concern with votes for unplayed games is that games which have completely broken rulesets can get votes (I think that has happened), and games that look really cool but in reality are quite tedious can get votes (I think that has happened).

In a world of perfect information, word would get out that game A is unplayable and game B is really boring because X, Y, and Z. But because we put a gag order on public statements about games during the voting period, that kind of information can't get out.

Which leads me to think those two rules (ok to vote without playing, and not ok to talk about games) are incompatible.

Maybe there could be a side prize for "best looking game I haven't played".

I think maybe a "Best Artwork" or "Best Graphic Design" category would work well for this. I honestly don't think the problem will be that bad. I believe that that majority of people will only vote for games they've played. However, the quality of the artwork will probably attract more people to the game.

ZarqEon wrote:

Thank you, Atilla! I've added this to the Other Prizes section.

Grudunza wrote:
Btw, I should probably mention that the 25 I put in is just for the general prize pool, or best overall, I suppose, if that's even a category.

Thanks Eric! The winner will be able to go on a Microbadge spending spree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
starting to find my way through a possible game narrative and starting to get excited. i think this is going to be one of the bigger contests.

this AI question really intrigues me. my clockwork cabal game is a solo game but does not really contain an AI, you are playing against the game narrative yes, but not against a more fleshed out personality which acts as a dynamic player. the mutability of the card paths, directions you can walk, change but not as a direct result of something you do. for me it is my chief interest in not in making merely a roll 1d6 type chart game where you look up things and react. i'd like whatever i do to be about the player consciously makes 1 of a set of branching decisions and this decision has a set of consequences that the AI takes, somewhat randomized i guess but with a tiered approach.

maybe not tit for tat
but rather tit for eventual tat and you do not know when the hammer will fall.

i think i want the AI to always be a bit more powerful than the player. you are always struggling to overcome it.

late night musings....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI is going to be a tricky one. I'm trying to wrap my mind around designs that don't become to complex or clunky. But not to simple...of course, I've 2 game ideas so I might go simple simple on one, and more work on the second. What to do, what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:

However, the quality of the artwork will probably attract more people to the game.

Yes, this is what happend for me in the QPnp i was instantly attracted to Capek Golems due to todd's amazingly proffesional graphics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played games that wern't originally solo player but people have devoloped AI's for and they have actually worked quite well..will really come down to testing you AI system if you go down that track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Williams
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
I noticed I can post my game in a WIP thread as of April 1st? Does that mean I should? I would indeed like feedback before submitting my game, and I was thinking it would primarily come from local sources. Being able to get feedback from BGG would be awesome.

I was also considering self publishing my game after the contest and using it as a form of endorsement if I did well, but would I be allowed to put my game up for sale prior to the contest closing and still be eligible for the contest? (specifically, I want it to be available on http://www.thegamecrafter.com)

Finally, is it acceptable to submit multiple entries from the same designer / design team? I'm already fairly done with my first entry and would probably be able to come up with something a little more complicated to submit as well if I'm allowed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lohengramm wrote:
I noticed I can post my game in a WIP thread as of April 1st? Does that mean I should? I would indeed like feedback before submitting my game, and I was thinking it would primarily come from local sources. Being able to get feedback from BGG would be awesome.

I don't see a problem with that. It is not required to post this early though. The entry deadline will probably be around July 25th or August 1st to ensure that people have at least a month to play the games before voting at the end of August. I will be compiling a list of entries in a new thread as we get closer to the contest start date.

Lohengramm wrote:
I was also considering self publishing my game after the contest and using it as a form of endorsement if I did well, but would I be allowed to put my game up for sale prior to the contest closing and still be eligible for the contest? (specifically, I want it to be available on http://www.thegamecrafter.com)

I think in the last contest a few people had their games on Artscow before the contest was done. I'd like to hear feedback from the group but I personally don't care if you sell the game on The Game Crafter while the contest is going on so long as the PDFs are freely available for people to make their own copy, at least through the duration of the contest. I don't want anyone to have to buy a copy of the game to be able to play and vote on it.

Lohengramm wrote:
Finally, is it acceptable to submit multiple entries from the same designer / design team? I'm already fairly done with my first entry and would probably be able to come up with something a little more complicated to submit as well if I'm allowed to.

Multiple entries are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Williams
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
chansen2794 wrote:
I think in the last contest a few people had their games on Artscow before the contest was done. I'd like to hear feedback from the group but I personally don't care if you sell the game on The Game Crafter while the contest is going on so long as the PDFs are freely available for people to make their own copy, at least through the duration of the contest. I don't want anyone to have to buy a copy of the game to be able to play and vote on it.

Righto, I just wanted the option to be there if people would like to have that site print the game out on cards for them and provide the counters and die. I'm not sure how many of BGGs users can print to card stock, and I personally would like a "real" version of my game while attempting to demo it and get playtesting done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
I assume most folks printing for contest voting print on the cheapest paper and put the slips of paper into card sleeves. Card stock is nearly impossible to shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
I assume most folks printing for contest voting print on the cheapest paper and put the slips of paper into card sleeves. Card stock is nearly impossible to shuffle.

I tend to print to card stock and shuffling is a 'mare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:

I tend to print to card stock and shuffling is a 'mare.

This reminds me that I should probably add a recommendation (not a requirement) to the rules that designers provide a low ink version of the game so voters can make them quick and cheap if they want.

I almost always print cards to cardstock. Shuffling is hard but sleeving them helps a little. I occasionally make cards with the backs applied via a sticker label which makes shuffling much easier but this is a little more difficult and I've never taken the time or resources to do it for a game I built for a contest. I get the feeling I'm going to burn through my penny sleeves on this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Williams
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
Well fortunately for you my game is simple and will only use up 30 of your sleeves if you were to do that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Armydillo978 wrote:
The AI is going to be a tricky one. I'm trying to wrap my mind around designs that don't become to complex or clunky. But not to simple...of course, I've 2 game ideas so I might go simple simple on one, and more work on the second. What to do, what to do.

Yeah, I've been having some issues with that as well. One design shouldn't be a problem, but the other one I'm toying with hasn't really got any "enemies".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
Armydillo978 wrote:

Yeah, I've been having some issues with that as well. One design shouldn't be a problem, but the other one I'm toying with hasn't really got any "enemies".

I should probably come up with a better term than AI. The games don't necessarily need enemies, I am just looking for a sense that you're playing against a game system. Basically, what I don't want to see is games that rely on randomness (entirely depended on die rolls or card draws) to provide the solitaire challenge. Battle Platform Antilles is probably a good example of what not to do. Another example is Alexander: The Card Game. Depending on how the cards are dealt, winning can be a cakewalk or impossible. That sort of almost entirely luck based game play is what I want to avoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:

hit me a PM if u like & i'll see if i can help at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee chris your changing avatar keeps confusing me to who u are....lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
a game trailer for my eventual entry. i think my game is going to take a good deal of narrative writing.

Shadows over Lassadar: The Grayking Risen

The land is corrupted. The silent Grayking, far-reaching from his castle - the Tower of Ash, is a shadow upon Lassadar. We feel his presence in each of our days. His servants grow bold, stealing into our cities, inhabiting the alleys and dark places of our streets. They jeer at us from our mirrors, shaming our reflections.

The books of the Council of Wardens, handed down to us across the years, say that the era of the broken barriers is upon us. Omens tell us by winter the Grayking will break through the few defenses we have remaining, cross to Lassadar, and the lands will fall to despair.

We few who are left, who remember the Grayking's original imprisonment across the Barrier Planes, struggle to keep his power from growing further, but we have no time now and far too few disciples. You are young but have proven to hold the strength of our teaching inside you. We have trained you in the arcane arts of ice, oak and flint magic and have taught you those powers are capricious and can damage your spirit if relied upon too much. We wish we had more time to train you further. We do not.

Go now into the wider world, with our blessings, and seek a means to defeat the Grayking. Find the three Warding Keys stolen by his servants and re-lock the gates to force him back behind the Barrier Planes forever. Our agents, spread thinly across places still untouched in Lassadar, will aid you as best they can in your quest.

Go now, and save us all……
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shiver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.