Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's with great honor that I pass on the Geek of the Week Crown and Scepter to my partner in crime a straight-shootin' wargamer, billyboy.

Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb

I have no idea how he makes the time to play all the games he plays, and I'll go out on a limb to say that billyboy logs more hours playing board games than anyone else I know.

Billyboy originated the "History books you're reading this month" thread, which is my favorite thread here, as, among other things, it gives us wargamers a bit of an air of respectability.

It does, doesn't it?

Well, sorta?

It is also rumored that before billyboy arrived at BGG, NO ONE enjoyed the repetition.

Quote:
I was born in upstate N.Y. and moved to Massachusetts when I was 10. The Red Sox led by Carl Yastremski won the American League Pennant that year and I’ve been a life long die hard fan. I always liked sports and games and started gaming at a very young age. I played all the usual ones as a child Monopoly, Sorry, Life , blah blah blah. When I was around 9 years old I got introduced to Strat-o-matic Baseball. That was probably my first adult game.

My dad was a teenager during the Second World War and talked a lot about it. He was also in the Airforce during the Korean War (my older brother and sister were both born on an Airbase). Early on I had a lot of interest in toy soldiers and military stuff. I watched Mchales Navy, Combat, and Hogans Heros on our B&W television (yes we had a Black Ma Bell rotary phone. too).

It was only natural that I was attracted to games with a war or military theme. Games like Battle Cry, Broadside, Stratego. But they all seemed to be lacking something though even if I was just a kid.

One day when I was at a friends house he pulled out this game called Civil War. It was a map of America with hexes instead of squares. The playing pieces were red and blue pawns. We didn’t have the rules but we marched the pawns around the map and rolled dice like Risk. It was cool, but I never gave it a second thought.

A year later I was in the mall with mom and went into a toy/hobby store. I saw the AH game Bismarck. My father had just let me stay up late to watch the movie Sink the Bismarck a couple days earlier. Needless to say for $4.99 plus tax it was mine! This as best as I can remember was 1966.

I got Afrika Korps on my next birthday and was now a budding grognard. I thought of these as real cool games from a real cool Company. I ended up with all the classic AH titles within a couple of years. The more complex they appeared the cooler I thought they were (at the time).

When I was around 14 or 15 years old I saw ads for this magazine S&T in Time and Sports Illustrated. I remember thinking "Wow there's another outfit making wargames". I believe I got a subscription for my birthday. Once I discovered SPI, I realized I had a hobby. I played more and more wargames as a teenager, dragging my younger brother along, taking over the family ping-pong table for War in Europe, Drang Nach Osten, The Next War and many others.

In case it sounds like I only played wargames (I did mostly) I also was introduced to many card games by my mother and my grandparents. Rummy, Poker, Bridge (mom was in a Bridge Club). I also dabbled in Chess a bit(never was that good though).

After I got older I met a lot of guys that liked to game (not my hex and counter games though). We would get a bunch of guys together and play Diplomacy, Axis and Allies, Risk, Trivial Pursuit(I’m real good at that!). Lots of Beer was consumed.

Inevitably I was introduced To D&D and AD&D and fell in love with it for a couple of years. After marriage, a daughter, and buying a house (waited till I was 30) I slowly got away from gaming. A divorce, a second marriage (and divorce) and gaming faded away for many years.

I got laid off from work in late 2007. One night while spending time looking for work on my computer(I wasn’t very computer savvy) I thought about one of my old wargames (Fire in the East to be exact). I was wondering if anyone still played those hex and counter games. I googled it and low and behold I was brought to this place called Board Game Geek. I was fascinated! I stayed up to the wee hours of the morning clicking and scrolling. I quickly fell in love(or became addicted).

I’m still there (here). If I’d known than what I know now maybe I would have walked away quickly. This can be an expensive hobby. What happened to $4.99 plus tax? I’m more of a wheeler dealer than a collector but I have to admit I love games and gaming. I also have lived a somewhat isolated gaming life the last few years. I have yet to meet a gamer near by. The internet, vassal, and Skype have made me quite social. I have met some of the best folks I’ve ever known thanks to BGG.

Two Truths and a Lie
Poll
Which of the following is NOT true?
My vanity plate says OCSRULZ
The previous owner of my car was a member of the Gambino family from N.Y.C.
I have never played Advanced Squad Leader or the Russian Campaign
      171 answers
Poll created by Hungadunga

Let me start off with a few questions:

1. What's your favorite alcoholic drink?

2. For how long have you enjoyed playing Small World?

3. How the HELL do you find the time to play all those games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful choice!

BillyBoy is friendly, helpful, and adds a great deal to this community.

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
YES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see a fellow Vermonter get GotW...especially when he lives in my old hometown!

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, have a great week. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Billy!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Billy?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite non-alcoholic drink?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBoy is certainly amongst my favorite geekbuddies! Congrats, good sir, on your well-deserved honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
badge
"Ten percent of nothin' is ... let me do the math here ... nothin' into nothin' ... carry the nothin' ..."
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOT!!!

CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight Bill! Well deserved! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Erin go Bragh! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good to see you here Billy. When I first started posting on BGG you were always quick with a comment and very positive. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Here is my question: Why do you have Pershing as your avatar? I'm no expert on Black Jack, but World War I tends to get marginalized over here in the states.

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Bill!

First and most crucial question: will this GOTW nonsense slow down your responses in our PBEM Great War in Europe game? Because that's unacceptable, you know.

On the other hand, if it distracts you into stupid decisions - like launching a series of 1-2 -2 attacks for example - then I'm all for it.

More serious (perhaps) questions later...

Hey it's been EIGHT MINUTES since I emailed that last file, when the hell are you going to get back to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice! Congratulations, billyboy, enjoy your week in the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmbmb
1. What's your favorite alcoholic drink?

2. For how long have you enjoyed playing Small World?

3. How the HELL do you find the time to play all those games?

1)None, I don't drink
2) seems like an eternity!
3) Like Sands through the Hour Glass these are the.................I dunno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Billy!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Billy?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite non-alcoholic drink?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Enjoy your week!

1) huh?
2) summer
3) the radio
4) yes
5) William
6) its a secret
7) coffee
8) morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:

What is your most & least favorite game mechanic and why?

meeple

Least
The ZOC rules in old AH games. You had to attack if you were in a ZOC.
There was always this big stupid looking gap between the 2 sides front lines. It just looked wrong!! yuk

Most
Tough one to answer. I'll get back to you on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmbmb
gittes wrote:
It is good to see you here Billy. When I first started posting on BGG you were always quick with a comment and very positive. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Here is my question: Why do you have Pershing as your avatar? I'm no expert on Black Jack, but World War I tends to get marginalized over here in the states.

Enjoy your week.

You are the perfect guy to ask this Sean. Your Avatar reminded me of a British WW1 officer. I'm mostly a wargamer so that appealed to me and I was really into WW1 games at the time (still am). I tried out a few WW1 leaders while my brother was on BGG. They were all French, British , Russian, or German. He said why you don't pick one from the home team ? Pershing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmbmb
kiraly wrote:

One qustion... You have one full week off to play a game of your choice. What do you pick?

Like you have to ask?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
gittes wrote:

Enjoy your week.

You are the perfect guy to ask this Sean. I liked you WW1 officer Avatar.

Look more closely at that avatar of Sean's, Bill...

Which leads to my question: Have you ever watched Blackadder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Congrats Bill!

First and most crucial question: will this GOTW nonsense slow down your responses in our PBEM Great War in Europe game? Because that's unacceptable, you know.

On the other hand, if it distracts you into stupid decisions - like launching a series of 1-2 -2 attacks for example - then I'm all for it.

More serious (perhaps) questions later...

Hey it's been EIGHT MINUTES since I emailed that last file, when the hell are you going to get back to me?

Logfile?? Oh shit..................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! BillyBoy while who's YOUR 'fav' person for an 'alcoholic'? While I have to "go" with the late Tom Poston for his role in "Cold Turkey" playing their "Town Drunk", which then leaves "Otis" of "Mayberry" *open* for nominations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
GRATZ! BillyBoy while who's YOUR 'fav' person for an 'alcoholic'? While I have to "go" with the late Tom Poston for his role in "Cold Turkey" playing their "Town Drunk", which then leaves "Otis" of "Mayberry" *open* for nominations?

Jack Lemon, Days of Wine and Roses

Otis Campbell does deserve honorable mention though!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, sir!

Do you have any pet peeves in BGG Wargaming Forum?
And are you going to keep to the secret plan as Mr. H.D. has?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmb
Congratulations !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, BillBoy!! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
YES!

Great image and I complete it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats Billy!

Apart from Small World, what is your favorite OCS title and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.