Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
I never played The Russian Campaign.

So that isn't a prerequisite for getting the grognard microbadge?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
I don't think this really changes things much but around a year ago I was over in New Hampshire playing Baltic Gap with 3 other guys. The game ended early and one of the fellows had to leave. We still had a couple of hours to game so my buddy
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pulled out Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 and I think I may have pushed a few counters around and rolled some dice. I also glanced through his loose leaf binder rule book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
sxmpxr wrote:
billyboy wrote:

The man has played multiple games of Fire in the East. That pays for a grognard badge right there. Hell, he should have a gold one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
sxmpxr wrote:
billyboy wrote:

Hell no!

Considering all the gigantic monster games I've played . Anyone that would dare question my Grognard status.............................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
aiabx wrote:
sxmpxr wrote:
billyboy wrote:

The man has played multiple games of Fire in the East. That pays for a grognard badge right there. Hell, he should have a gold one.

Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Billy, a well deserved distinction, best regards.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
OCS rules... did someone mentionned OCS ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
deltarn wrote:

THATS WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
deltarn wrote:

OCD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
Back in 2005-6 I was on the Board of Directors for a local Charitable Organization. They worked with people that were Substance abusers and some of them were convicted Felons.
While I was there I met a fellow I'll call 'Gus'. He was one of the clients. He turned out to be one of the most intelligent people I've ever met. He was also a recovering heroin addict and a convicted felon. He was a very engaging, charming (if a bit shady) guy. After a year or so I did some work with him outside of the place where I met him (legitimate work! )
I liked Gus a lot. He knew lots of interesting people and had many interesting stories. He had a friend that was a used car salesman ( I know how funny this all sounds).
I was down visiting family in Massachusetts in July 2006 when my Explorer decided to die. I needed a vehicle fast and gave Gus a call. He hooked me up with his buddy and by that night I had a car (Buick Regal).
After a day or so I found a bunch of paper work in the console with all kinds of interesting information on it. I called Gus and asked him to find out what he could about this car. It was quite the story.
I know this all sounds unbelievable and it probably makes me sound naive
but I'm pretty damn sure it was owned by a member of the Gambino family prior to me.
Oh yeah, I don't have a vanity plate! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Back in 2005-6 I was on the Board of Directors for a local Charitable Organization. They worked with people that were Substance abusers and some of them were convicted Felons.
While I was there I met a fellow I'll call 'Gus'. He was one of the clients. He turned out to be one of the most intelligent people I've ever met. He was also a recovering heroin addict and a convicted felon. He was a very engaging, charming (if a bit shady) guy. After a year or so I did some work with him outside of the place where I met him (legitimate work! )
I liked Gus a lot. He knew lots of interesting people and had many interesting stories. He had a friend that was a used car salesman ( I know how funny this all sounds).
I was down visiting family in Massachusetts in July 2006 when my Explorer decided to die. I needed a vehicle fast and gave Gus a call. He hooked me up with his buddy and by that night I had a car (Buick Regal).
After a day or so I found a bunch of paper work in the console with all kinds of interesting information on it. I called Gus and asked him to find out what he could about this car. It was quite the story.
I know this all sounds unbelievable and it probably makes me sound naive
but I'm pretty damn sure it was owned by a member of the Gambino family prior to me.
Oh yeah, I don't have a vanity plate! devil

I was pretty sure the Gambino car story would end with the discovery of human remains in the trunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
aiabx wrote:

I was pretty sure the Gambino car story would end with the discovery of human remains in the trunk.

Can't say if there was, can't say if there wasn't

if I told you I'd have to ...you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

Which kind of coincided with your time in the wilderness. That seemed like the one sensible option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
billyboy wrote:

Which kind of coincided with your time in the wilderness. That seemed like the one sensible option.

I intend to try both The Russian Campaign and Advanced Squad Leader eventually. If for no other reason than to say I did! I probably will enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

I intend to try both The Russian Campaign and Advanced Squad Leader eventually. If for no other reason than to say I did! I probably will enjoy them.

If you plan to learn ASL, the starter kits #1 or #2 are a good place to start whether your are a grognard or not.

If you like OCS team play, you can easily play a couple of ASL SK scenarios while your opponents are taking their OCS turn .
And a The Russian Campaign game can probably fits during a Case Blue turn (well anything can easily be played during a Case Blue turn).

You surely noticed that many players enjoy those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."
badge
"Wash, we got some local color happening. A grand entrance would not go amiss."
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
Huh, I just realized you never got the corresponding microbadge for this honor.

WTF Over... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Smygehamn
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First I want to congratulate to the Reward with capital R.

Then I have question. By your game-ratings I can see that you prefere wargames. Have you ever tried abstract and eurogames, and what is it with these games that don't apeal to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hey Bill, I waited to chime in until I had a couple questions, something to drink your coffee with as it were.

Your tastes seem very concentrated on WWII's East Front and WWI, primarily West Front.

This has always struck me as an odd combination, one a theater of wide open space and the other, although initially dynamic, tending towards a more static picture.

What elements of these areas do you see in common? What is it about them that attracts you? Is it how they contrast, how they are similar?

You mentioned above not having played OCS Burma yet ... are there theaters outside of WWII EF and WWI WF that you intend to explore more? I know you've enjoyed Korea for example.

Speaking of Korea, contrast for us if you will how supply is handled in OCS, Weltkrieger, Liberty Roads, and systems like Balkoski's The Korean War.

What are your thoughts on other theaters, for example WWII in the Pacific? Palestine in WWII, in WWI? Napoleonic or Ancient time periods?

Living as you do along the Champlain corridor, have you any interest in the French and Indian war?

What topic(s) would you design a wargame about if you had the time / inclination?

Take care Bill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
tscook wrote:

I'm pretty sure the badge is awarded after my weeks up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
swedgamer wrote:
First I want to congratulate to the Reward with capital R.

Then I have question. By your game-ratings I can see that you prefere wargames. Have you ever tried abstract and eurogames, and what is it with these games that don't apeal to you?

I'm interested in wargaming although I'll play any game if I'm with a group of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
tscook wrote:

No you should have it already as you are suppossed to display it all week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."
badge
"Wash, we got some local color happening. A grand entrance would not go amiss."
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
billyboy wrote:
tscook wrote:

+1

Best get that badge Billy. You earned it!!! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
citizen k wrote:

Your tastes seem very concentrated on WWII's East Front and WWI, primarily West Front.

This has always struck me as an odd combination, one a theater of wide open space and the other, although initially dynamic, tending towards a more static picture.

What elements of these areas do you see in common? What is it about them that attracts you? Is it how they contrast, how they are similar?

You mentioned above not having played OCS Burma yet ... are there theaters outside of WWII EF and WWI WF that you intend to explore more? I know you've enjoyed Korea for example.

Speaking of Korea, contrast for us if you will how supply is handled in OCS, Weltkrieger, Liberty Roads, and systems like Balkoski's The Korean War.

What are your thoughts on other theaters, for example WWII in the Pacific? Palestine in WWII, in WWI? Napoleonic or Ancient time periods?

Living as you do along the Champlain corridor, have you any interest in the French and Indian war?

What topic(s) would you design a wargame about if you had the time / inclination?

Take care Bill!

Yes Iain my 2 favorite areas the last couple of years have been on the Eastfront and WW1 . I've always been interested in Eastfront games. I'm not sure why you think I'm interested in only Westfront games on WW1. Not so, I'm interested in all areas. Probably my 2 favorite games on WW1 currently are The 1916 Brusilov Offensive / Gorlice-Tarnow Breakthrough and The Western Front: 1914 to 1918.
Over the course of my wargaming career there are very few areas I haven't gamed or own games on. Check my collection a little closer , War and Peace, Empires in Arms, The Civil War, Imperium Romanum II, Pacific War, Vietnam 1965-1975 and many others. I've played all of those multiple times. I went through long times when I played lots of Napoleonic games and another period that was mostly Civil War games. I also have always liked gaming and reading about the War in the Pacific going back to an old favorite USN. I played Empire of the Sun last summer.
Living where I do I have some interest in the Saratoga and Fort Ticonderoga Campaigns. The French and Indian War never has really held much interest for me.
I have no interest in designing games now, but when I was young I put together a few. I made a decent Eastfront Strategic level game back in the 80's. Wonder what ever happened to it?
Thanks for your questions Iain. I enjoyed answering them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
billyboy wrote:
tscook wrote:

I noticed that Hunga didn't get his till his week was up. I checked a couple times because I knew I was following him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
JohnBandettini wrote:
billyboy wrote:
tscook wrote:

I noticed that Hunga didn't get his till his week was up. I checked a couple times because I knew I was following him.

Perhaps that have changed it then. I got mine straight away from Octavian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
mbmb
citizen k wrote:

Missed a couple of questions. Here goes.

Supply is handled relatively simple in both Liberty Roads and Der Weltkrieg Series. They both use HQ's and DW uses supply points but they are both easy to use. The Korean War had a pretty interesting way of showing supply with depots and I believe supply points. The only reason I got rid of that game (I've owned it twice and played it a lot) was I had always wanted something a bit more detailed on Korea. I have that now with Korea: The Forgotten War. Great game.

What would I design a game on if I had the time and the desire?
Great question. So many topics so little time! I tried many years ago to design my own game on the Punic Wars which interests me a lot. I think maybe I would try that. Thanks for asking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.