Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who actually read the interview where he mentioned the University/Factory price swap, I was just wondering, was that a

proposed house rule - made in resignation to general wisdom even though Seyfarth still personally thinks its ok as printed

designer suggest change - if he could do over the uni would be 7 and the factory would be 8?

Just wondering about the his tone in this interview where he mentioned the change.

and btw while we're at it, how many of y'all play with the swap or not? My group doesn't, but they never buy the university either....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the designer's desires, but we always swap them.

aaarg_ink wrote:
My group doesn't, but they never buy the university either....

Exactly because we had the same experience meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our solution is that we always subsitute the Library for the University (same cost, but much much better building); the Library is found in the original Puerto Rico expansion as well as the Treasure Chest, and has the same functionality as in San Juan (double the priviledge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The Mets begin their season on April 6 with a ton of optimism. Will this be the year they finally return to the playoffs?
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Seyfarth said in the interview that if he and developer Stefan Brueck had it to do over again, the only change they would make would be swapping the Factory and the University. So presumably a suggested change.

I'd love to try this out, but I've never found a group that wanted to do so. It'll probably happen at some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

I'd love to try this out, but I've never found a group that wanted to do so. It'll probably happen at some time.

Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
offers beautiful reworked buildings in the files section here on BGG - as a special goodie, he also included the factory and the university with reversed building costs. So, just print them out, mount them, and your gaming buddies will be so stunned looking at the great new artwork, that they won't notice the new building costs!
meeple

Direct link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/42234/base-game-and-ex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group always uses the swapped costs, though personally I'm not sure why the Factory is all that great either. Especially when playing with the Jeweler in the same game...

me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Larry Levy wrote:
I believe Seyfarth said in the interview that if he and developer Stefan Brueck had it to do over again, the only change they would make would be swapping the Factory and the University. So presumably a [designer] suggested change.

Yep... and, props to Seyfarth for mentioning it. Our playgroup started using the change several months ago, and it works very well indeed.

We're never going back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worthwhile checking out a poll from nearly a year ago, which presently has about 150 responses, the majority of which consider it favourably. The related thread has more than a page of comments and discussion on the suggested change, and is also worth a read:

[POLL] Would You Play PR w/the Designer Suggested Change to the Cost of the University & Factory?

As for the illustrated tiles - well, how can you argue with a beautiful aesthetic upgrade like this?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So am I the only one who still thinks the Jeweler is unreasonably better than all other doubloon generators? Even with the factory at cost 7 I would still get the jeweler instead EVERY time. I'm surprised there's not more chatter on that topic, but perhaps we're doing something wrong?

Me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McLaughlin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"So am I the only one who still thinks the Jeweler is unreasonably better than all other doubloon generators?"

-No, you aren't the only one. I think the Jeweler outshines the others by a longshot [pardon the pun].

I assume that these are folks playing without the Nobles expansion.

I'd be interested in trying out a house rule that limits the Jeweler to 3 doubloons. This would at least allow for the factory or specialty factory to be better some of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Other ways I've considered nerfing the jeweler are:
- The nobles need to be "on" the jewler in order to supply the doubloon
- Only get 1 doubloon for each 2 nobles

Both of those solutions make it worse for all numbers of players though, whereas your solution may be more appropriate to keeping it extremely tame when playing with only 2 or 3 players, and moderately tame when playing with more (which I think is good).

Of course another solution is just to ban it outright in a 2 player game. I still think it's the best doubloon generator in a 3 and 4 player game. 5 players gets more difficult to make the argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
^ LOL... thread hijack in progress.

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/Thread-Hijack/1/Hijack-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SystemShock wrote:
^ LOL... thread hijack in progress.

Hehehe well there wasn't much to the initial question and it was answered with a fairy strong consensus...so if anyone wants to push the thread in another direction feel free to do so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Partanen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
About the Jeweler - we too utilize a house rule for the Jeweler to "get 1 doubloon for each 2 nobles", and it works very well. The original payout wrecks the game in our group's opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.