United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So we had this issue come up in our first game. Player 1 goes to the parlor and draws a card. Then he lands on player 2 (me) and asks a question which I answer.

I then ask him back the following: "What are the five characteristics of the card you just drew?"

Now, according to the rules, that would be a legal question. The answer is not a name. However, with all five characteristics mentioned, I'm essentially getting the same information as the name.

After a brief discussion, we disallowed it and said that we cannot ask for any more than two characteristics in a question.

Has anyone else come across this problem or addressed it in a similar way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
So we had this issue come up in our first game. Player 1 goes to the parlor and draws a card. Then he lands on player 2 (me) and asks a question which I answer.

I then ask him back the following: "What are the five characteristics of the card you just drew?"

Now, according to the rules, that would be a legal question. The answer is not a name. However, with all five characteristics mentioned, I'm essentially getting the same information as the name.

After a brief discussion, we disallowed it and said that we cannot ask for any more than two characteristics in a question.

Has anyone else come across this problem or addressed it in a similar way?

I would say it's legal, but, it's not really a problem because it's poor strategy on your part. You want to ask a question where the answer is useful only to you and not the other players. But your "5 characteristics" question will help not only you but all the other players at the table. If they, on their turns, are more subtle about their questions than you were on yours, they will probably end up beating you.

EDIT: After reading the below post I think it's probably not even legal (yeah, been a while since I played the game blush)
But, even if it were legal, it would still be bad strategy for the reasons I describe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The correct answer would be, "Flat, mostly rectangular, full-color, plastic-coated, and rather informative for the person holding the card."

I hope you saved them the effort and slapped your own head.

One question produces one answer. Your question was really five, since it required five discrete data in reply. Even asking two characteristics would be out. You could most certainly ask, "Is the monk on that card fat and bearded?" But my answer will be yes, he is fat and bearded, or no, he is not both fat and bearded. I will not tell you which of one and which of the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slaven
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question has exactly the same effect as asking "What is the name of the person on the card you just drew?" Therefore, even though the rules don't actually say it's illegal, it seems to me that you've got to disallow this.

--Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Marlboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I you are forgetting that the question must be phrased such that it has a single answer. The question you described has five answers (as I see it).

Besides being illegal, it's also simply not a strong question-- it gives every other player listening the same (or more) information than the monk who asks it.

My two chants,

-kMs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.