Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NICK WATKINS
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first 2 player game and intro learning canal mania.
Was curious if others would comment on the following
(and see if i had played it correctly):

1. tiles available- we both had a color set of tiles and they only had 3 tunnels/3 aqueducts.
We found we used them immediately in the game and seemingly in a limited area. For 2 players, there was an entire board open to explore but we ran out of being able to connect to cities( because we used our only 6 each tiles for brown/rough terrain) and on top of that competing for some of the same towns.
Were there two player rules that i missed that we got extra tiles?
(like a second color?)
Is there something we missed about in the strategy of building canals and linking towns? For most you needed to use at least one brown tile.

2. in two player, we found that connecting into each others lines, that the relative difference of moving cubes was small, that the game took a really long time. Maybe because instead of making a delivery of say 7pts me-opponent 5, we opted for 3-1. So choosing to only take a lower number, but the ratio about the same, the game went on forever.(since we were going to 80)

My question: playing two player, do people tend to go for the biggest points on delivery?
When playing two player-it seemed like we were constantly tying into each others towns, so that the net effect was 0 gain.

Advice?
Playing other train games like age of steam/steam where you want to deliver over YOUR OWN RAIL/CANAL line, canal mania has it that if you are both connected to the town, even if you run the good on your own line, that other player gets a point-for being connected in the town/node or owning the station as you would.
Does this seem correct?

What kind of scores have people found to be avg in two player?
and if its worth playing it as a recommended number?
i saw the reviews listed before and it had said it was good at 2,
but i came away, from my first experience of it at that number as not so great(thinking i may have misplayed /or misread some two player rules)

Which is why i am writing here to see what others thought.

I look forward to yoru comments
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wraith Ithil
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't counted my brown tiles but I thought I had more than 6 of them.

When playing, I deliberately choose the contracts that link up my network. The Junction contracts are especially useful for linking up separate chains. In a recent game, I was getting 7-9 points per delivery (with my opponent getting 2 points for a while before I built a Junction to bypass them).

We seem to have no trouble with the number of tiles, we seem to be more likely to run out of contracts before running out of tiles (although technically I did run out of Locks once).

When scoring for delivering goods, players receive 1 point per town the good travels through including the starting and ending towns.

If you have a canal from Chester to Stoke, your opponent has a canal from Stoke to Birmingham and you have a canal from Birmingham to Worcester then a goods cube delivered from Chester to Worcester will score you 4 points and your opponent 2 points.

We get over a 100 points each in a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ESPNY wrote:
1. tiles available- we both had a color set of tiles and they only had 3 tunnels/3 aqueducts.
We found we used them immediately in the game and seemingly in a limited area. For 2 players, there was an entire board open to explore but we ran out of being able to connect to cities( because we used our only 6 each tiles for brown/rough terrain) and on top of that competing for some of the same towns.
Were there two player rules that i missed that we got extra tiles?
(like a second color?)
Is there something we missed about in the strategy of building canals and linking towns? For most you needed to use at least one brown tile.

There should be 4 aqueducts and 3 tunnels. I've never noticed a problem with the counter mix, although I should note that I've never played with 2 players. I don't recall any special rules for 2 players other than having 2 juntion contracts each, although I haven't got my copy of the game to hand at the moment.

Quote:
2. in two player, we found that connecting into each others lines, that the relative difference of moving cubes was small, that the game took a really long time. Maybe because instead of making a delivery of say 7pts me-opponent 5, we opted for 3-1. So choosing to only take a lower number, but the ratio about the same, the game went on forever.(since we were going to 80)

My question: playing two player, do people tend to go for the biggest points on delivery?
When playing two player-it seemed like we were constantly tying into each others towns, so that the net effect was 0 gain.

Advice?
Playing other train games like age of steam/steam where you want to deliver over YOUR OWN RAIL/CANAL line, canal mania has it that if you are both connected to the town, even if you run the good on your own line, that other player gets a point-for being connected in the town/node or owning the station as you would.
Does this seem correct?

Again I haven't played 2 player, but are you sure you're playing right. You only score points if you own canals that the good moves on. So if you move a good over 5 of your own canals and none of your opponent's you score 6 points and the opponent scores nothing, it makes no difference if he might have canals touching the towns passed through if the good does not pass along those canals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith101 wrote:

When playing, I deliberately choose the contracts that link up my network. The Junction contracts are especially useful for linking up separate chains. In a recent game, I was getting 7-9 points per delivery (with my opponent getting 2 points for a while before I built a Junction to bypass them).

The maximum score for a single player is 6 per delivery, 1 per town and maximum number of towns is 6 as there are only 6 different colours and you are not allowed to duplicate colours in a single delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wraith Ithil
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah, good point. I have been misinterpreting that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.