Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Didn't that begin as the: "Spacecruiser Yamato"? I'll have to check my 'comics' or model kits for this... whistle

EDIT: NOW 'spaceified' with 2 "names" SPACE LINK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
GROGnads wrote:
Didn't that begin as the: "Spacecruiser Yamato"? I'll have to check my 'comics' or model kits for this... whistle

Yes sir. Wikipedia mentions that was an alternate name for it for English speaking audiences (which I find rather odd) and that it was also known as "Star Blazers" when released in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leader Desslok
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Capt_S!

Capt_S wrote:
aiabx wrote:
I thought it remained intact on the ocean floor until it was made into a starship in the 22nd century.

This year saw the release of a live action "Space Battleship Yamato" in theatres here.

Was it good? Do you know if they are going to release it in the western world? It has been hard finding much information in English over the past year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Leader Desslok wrote:
Congratulations, Capt_S!

Thank you my Blue Leader!

Quote:
Capt_S wrote:
aiabx wrote:
I thought it remained intact on the ocean floor until it was made into a starship in the 22nd century.

This year saw the release of a live action "Space Battleship Yamato" in theatres here.

Was it good? Do you know if they are going to release it in the western world? It has been hard finding much information in English over the past year.

Sadly, no we did not.

We had been planning for months to see it and once it was released we delayed as we waited for it to be in a theatre nearby. Then the earthquake struck and pooped on all plans. So we missed it. It stars one of the biggest actors here, Takuya Kimura. It sounds like there were some English-dubbed screenings in the USA, but that is unconfirmed.

We are seeing the DVD (Japanese language only) release scheduled for June 24th. Normally there is some delay and then an English-subbed version appears via a Hong Kong press. However, we have not picked up any rumours about that, which jives with your inability to get info on it. I would be checking out Yes Asia's website starting in July to see if it pops up. The Japanese only version would be available from many online retailers based in Japan like Amazon Japan and whatnot. Who knows, maybe the Japanese version will have the English subtitles, but that is not likely.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all.

We are nearing the end of that glorious week that was my GotW. We laughed, we cried, we begged for more.

I wanted to thank everyone who came by to thumb, question and chat. I had a great time. Thanks again Bill for the honour.

I might as well reveal the whole truth/lie situation. As I write this, 97 folks voted. In descending order of choice, we have ...

I have been part of a team that assisted the police in digging up the remains of a murder victim found in a shallow grave.
43 votes or 44.3% of the popular vote.
TRUTH
My first degree was in Anthropology and was concentrated in Archaeology. One summer and fall term I was lucky enough to be the lab supervisor at the university and we received a call from the police to assist them with a shallow grave. It had been expoused to the elements and the remains were partially skeletal, hence the call. Two professors, a team of students and myself headed out to help. It was interesting and actually disgusting. More that former though. It was very odd to drive through a ring of press with cameras flashing at you. For a brief shining moment I felt like a movie star.

While buying a drink from a vending machine around 1990, included in my change was a 1942 Nazi Germany coin.
30 votes or 30.9% of the popular vote.
LIE
This is a bit of a cheat. I never received a Nazi coin as change from a vending machine. However, my friend did so once. I was very jealous, but more freaked out by it as was he. It was quite the thing really. Who knows how it got there.

During a university exam I, along with several hundred others, saw an upset student physically attack the professor.
24 votes or 24.7% of the popular vote.
TRUTH
As Wendell mentioned, who hasn't seen this. LOL! Well, I was in a gym writing the final for Intro to Comp Science which I think was one of those 3 hour jobbies. Quite a way through it I heard a commotion and another professor run into the gym yelling "HELP HELP". Just as I looked up I saw through the door the victim falling backwards just as a fist was falling towards him. I also saw about two dozen burly lads up and running to the rescue, so my help was not needed. Which is good as I was having some time pressures. I am pretty sure all was resolved and that he was OK afterwards. The criminal less so. Pressure can be too much for some students and it is probably something that post-educational institutions should take more seriously to help prevent. Especially amongst foreign students where money and family pressure can be overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
Good one Jon!

You fooled me
Spoiler (click to reveal)
not that its that hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
billyboy wrote:
Good one Jon!

You fooled me
Spoiler (click to reveal)
not that its that hard!

BWA-HA-HA-HA!

Well, it was a bit of a trick since the lie did happen, just to not me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
This is a great image for that and I'm reminded of the LARGE 'scale' model KIT with this sort of details. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I have always been a fan of the (what I took to be) chrysanthemum icon on the bows of Japan's WW2 capital ships.

EDIT: And older ships. Mikasa of Russo-Japanese War fame has one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wait - I missed last weeks?!?
Apologies AND congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
AnalogGamer wrote:
Wait - I missed last weeks?!?
Apologies AND congratulations!

Thanks Robert. Oh, it's never too late....LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
(especially embarrassing as you're a fellow AdultSwim avatar bearer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.