Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

After seeing this game played for years I finally got a chance to try it last night. It's now on my "to get" list, which may have to wait a bit since I've already bought a ton of games this year. But I liked it and I want to get it but I find myself asking a different question...

Is there a game that's like Louis XIV but just, less?

There's a lot to this game, which is great (have I emphasized enough that I'm not being critical?), but it seems to me you could simplify this thing and get another good game.

You don't need VP Shields and money; conflate them. One gold is one VP, missions are 15 instead of 5, things that give you a shield now give you three GP, done. All you lose is six randomly dispensed VP at the end of the game.

You could drop the Louis pawn. You could lose a couple tiles that had to do with Shields. You go without some of the influence token mechanics.

All that stuff is good, but in removing it you'd have a quicker, more accessible game that would also be good. Not as good, perhaps, and not a replacement, certainly, but good.

Is there already such a game? Just curious.

But I like this game. Inexpensive on the secondary market, too.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Die, human scum!
badge
Resistance is useless!
mb
Louis XIV is already a fairly light game, however I would look at both Mykerinos and Blue Moon City if you're interested in similar experiences. Mykerinos is area-majority with a sort of stock market mechanism for one of the main ways to score, and Blue Moon City is essentially a race game.

Mykerinos is probably the closest game comparison, luck-free and low randomness. It's also rather dry, but check it out.

EDIT: I see you already own BMC and rate it a 9. cool

Anyway, I would hesitate to cut out the Coat-of-Arms scoring for Louis XIV. With more play you may see how crucial they can be to winning. They may be only one point, but you can't ignore them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Die, human scum!
badge
Resistance is useless!
mb
My further thoughts on a Coat-of-Arms strategy found here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/402261/thoughts-on-a-coa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played Mykerinos a couple times, and didn't really like it (6). I'm not sure I could tell you why, except that I generally don't like influence games. Except that I love El Grande and about a hundred other influence games. Didn't really like Mykerinos, though the Museum floor plan part is really cool.

I like Blue Moon City, but I don't think it feels similar to Louis XIV.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Is there a game that's like Louis XIV but just, less?

If you like Louis XIV, I'd recommend Leonardo da Vinci. I has a similar mechanic in that you place workers in areas to win a reward or pay for it if you don't win, but they're different enough to provide a different experience. I wouldn't say that it was any lighter than Louis XIV (they're about the same weight) but they're both excellent games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext is really cool. The best 100 GG I've ever spent.
badge
Well. I'm actually bored with overtext. Why did I give all that GG away?
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Palais Royal. As soon as I had it, I got rid of Louis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chang Lin
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like replying to an old thread...but I guess it just struck me that for 2-P, Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel has pretty similar mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to Subscriptions you can reply to a years-old thread and get a reply in minutes!

Thanks for the tip. I like PotE, but haven't played BD. I will look for the chance to. I'm also mostly through a retro-space themed game with the parts of L14 I like that's about half the game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.