Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Or can we even tell?

I have first edition, and am looking to get another set, for the tournament deck-building game.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original edition and expansion, plus the Barbarian upgrade kit and a copy of the revised edition base game at home. I can check tonight if no one gets back to you. Offhand I'm uncertain because the icons look like the old edition, but the text boxes look like the revised edition, because they use the numeral 1 instead of spelling out 'one' on the Town Hall and I don't remember the original edition having the card type in bold across the top border of the text box.

In fact, I'm wondering if they may actually be the Traders & Barbarians Upgrade Kit, that had 2 decks of about 60 cards, which is what the listing says. I found that for around $9 on Amazon a few months ago, so the price is similar too.

Edit: I don't think it is the upgrade kit because it's got the two core player decks with the shields.

Well, I'm confused but I will find out tonight. One thing - as long as it's the base game cards, it's OK to mix editions - the 2nd edition has clarifications on it but the cards are, for the most part, the same. Spy is a bit different but other than that I think they're functionally identical, so you can probably go for it.

I'm almost positive it's the mid-2000's revised edition due to the font. The font on the 1998 original was lighter and narrower and actually a bit hard to read. The revised edition font was made darker. I also think the original Ore resource icon had the orange color from the older SOC game, so this is likely the revised edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Or can we even tell?

I have first edition, and am looking to get another set, for the tournament deck-building game.

I just realized how nonsensical my post must have sounded.

I should have said: I have one copy of the first edition in the mail.

But I do remember seeing pictures (in Ender's overview, I believe) of the new-but-not-newest cards and them having numerals, not spellouts.

Thanks. This is exactly what I needed to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Or can we even tell?

No Problem. We're used to it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I'm late replying - I had a chance to go over a friend's house last night to play Vortex which is my favorite game, and we got to gabbing, and I got home really late. So I forgot all about checking this.

Here is a scan of two of the cards you can see in the eBay auction - Hagan the Sinister and the Alchemist.

Original edition on left; revised on right

Note the lighter type and lack of keywords/titles on the border above the text area.

So looks like you're bidding on the Revised Edition. Note they are fully compatible so there's no reason to pass it by just because yours is the original edition, unless you really want consistency with the fonts, etc.

And the Spy card is clarified in great detail on the revised edition, where it was much more general in the original. I think the revised way is better, but you could certainly decide to do it either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
cannoneer wrote:
Sorry I'm late replying - I had a chance to go over a friend's house last night to play Vortex which is my favorite game, and we got to gabbing, and I got home really late. So I forgot all about checking this.

Here is a scan of two of the cards you can see in the eBay auction - Hagan the Sinister and the Alchemist.

Original edition on left; revised on right

Note the lighter type and lack of keywords/titles on the border above the text area.

So looks like you're bidding on the Revised Edition. Note they are fully compatible so there's no reason to pass it by just because yours is the original edition, unless you really want consistency with the fonts, etc.

And the Spy card is clarified in great detail on the revised edition, where it was much more general in the original. I think the revised way is better, but you could certainly decide to do it either way.

Thanks. You've been a great help. I'm grateful for all the time you took to answer my question.

markgravitygood wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Or can we even tell?

No Problem. We're used to it...

I have a terrible urge to go back and read through my old posts now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.