Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I play with electricity! Insomniaman
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, this game has gotten a bum rap! I'm a hardcore boardgamer and love heavy games. Keltis just happens to be a lighter game with great game play that is simple to teach and just plain fun. It's hard to turn your nose up to a game like this, infact I believe this is a gem of a game, it's great for begineers and experieced players. It's a great example of a gateway game and let's face it, these type of games are what hooked most of us in the first place! I can't recommend it enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly enjoy it too. The problem is partially that it's split from LCBG, and more combined votes as one game would lead to a higher geek ranking, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities gets my nod for theme, even if it (like usual for Knizia) feels a bit pasted on. Keltis just makes me hungry for finding me Lucky Charms.

Yet I agree with Derek: If Lost Cities didn't exist Keltis would probably fare a bit better in ratings (assuming ranking high here at BGG is what matters to being a worthy game, with which many would disagree).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keltis is rated so (relatively) low for two reasons:
1. It won Spiel des Jahres and most geeks don't like that lightweight gateway games win Spiel des Jahres - even if this is what the prize is about.
2. It gets compared to Lost Cities and it is compared mostly by Lost Cities fans. So they dislike every change not only in the rules but also in gameplay/tactics/"strategy". For example they say the ascending/descending rule causes that people don't really want to discard. No, it causes that they don't really want to discard. Discarding is still an important possibility but this comes from the multi-player play (I might help one player but not everyone, so discarding is still a good option) etc.

I do think Keltis is a great gateway game and while Lost Cities is faster, Keltis has a simpler-better scoring and I like the possibilities of the cloverleaf effect. Keltis is at least as good as Lost Cities is in my eyes - but it's certainly not a gamers' game. If you look at the top 200, most games there are gamers' games anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I play with electricity! Insomniaman
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the comments but a couple. First, the BGG rankings are very important. Not to validate that it's a great game, but to be recognized on the best board game websight worldwide. This is definetly not a gamers game. However, one can make an arguement that The Settlers of Catan isn't either. Without games like settlers were would the boardgaming community be? probably still playing monopoly! Even though Settlers isn't a gamers game, it's still one of the greatest games ever produced. I feel the same way about Keltis, with 4 players is just so much fun! period. Like I stated before, this is coming from a gamer that loves games like Agricola, Puerto Rico, Caylus and Dominant Species, just to name a few. I love the meatier games. But there is room for games like Keltis in the top 200. Anyway, this game may go down as one of the most under appreciated games, which is a real shame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since different editions of the same games are quite commonly implemented under one entry, I don't understand why LCBG and Keltis are split, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
aldaryn wrote:
Since different editions of the same games are quite commonly implemented under one entry, I don't understand why LCBG and Keltis are split, anyway.
They have different rules, a different scoring system and a different theme. If the Ticket-to-rides and the Dominions have seperate entries, so should this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.