Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going out a bit later than I would have liked. Getting someone to take the stage under the spotlight took a bit more effort than I thought. But, there's at least a couple dozen candidates for the honor I could think of, and not even begin hitting the bottom of the barrel, and I really hope that all of them get their turn someday.

There were a number of ways I could have gone in picking a new GotW, all of them quite valid. In the actual event, I am celebrating someone who has put in a lot of work with a monthly GeekList tracking the state of Multi-Man Publishing's preorder system. I am celebrating a part of the international community of gamers here on BGG. And while I am celebrating another wargamer, his tastes are much more diverse than that, having given high marks to Alhambra, Arkham Horror and Battlestar Galactica.

I am also, though did not realize it at the time, celebrating a fellow journeyer between board games and RPGs.

So, the 296th GotW is:
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb

abendoso wrote:
I was born a boardgamer. I have read how many people explain that they came accross this or that game and "converted" into boardgamers. Not for me. I have always been a boardgamer, even when I never knew this game existed.

I started with the same games as everyone, Monopoly, Hotel, Trivial Pursuit, Parchis...but felt that they felt flat on me. I wanted to play, but they were not satisfying, so my search started. This search led me to three games when I was 8-9 years old. Dungeons and Dragons Initiation set, 1808: Guerra de la Independencia, and one on the Spanish Civil War that it is not in the database.

I did not understand a word. Zones of Control? Supply? It was all chinese for me. But least of all I could understand a photocopy of the Advanced D&D Rulebook in English that I managed to get hold of (I was less than 10 and I tried to read it with a dictionary next to the rulebook, the first word I remember looking up -I think it was the third word in the rulebook- was "sword").

When I was 12 I went for two full years to a boarding school in England (so I could read D&D's Rulebooks ) and I came accross Warhammer (it look nice, but it was not my thing) and.... shogun and Axis & Allies. I was in love.

But alas, I couldn't find them in Spain. At least I found a FLGS and visited it regularly drooling over games, and acquiring the games I though I would love The Republic of Rome (best game ever), Junta, and World in Flames (I was 16 and it costed me all my savings but I love it.)

Afterwards, University, girlfriends, and social work occupied my time saving me from MGTG (I only tired it last year and it is a fine game but not my kind of game) and Erasmus in Germany taught me about Siedler von Katan.

Once I finished the university I started to work in one of the most important law firms in Spain, which meant sufficient disposable income, but very little time for games. Or so I thought. I was working 14-16 hours a day for 5-6 days a week and my GF had broken with me, I was blue, and remembering my FLGS owner comment about a place named BGG I entered here.

I found tons of games, and I got excited about this hobby and I recognised that I wanted this to be "my" hobby. so I bought games, I preordered games, started to play online (although it is not my prefer way of playing), to meet people interested in playing games, and to set up games to play alone, even if it is taking it away from sleep. I think gaming helps me keep my sanity!

Poll
Two truths and a lie. Which of these statements from abendoso is a lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I mostly played solitaire, but the most insane thing I have ever done is to play solitaire World in Flames.
34.0% 36
I love Here I Stand, specially to burn those pesky heretics in the stake after they have lost a debate with one of my debaters, particularly since my little brother is a Jesuit himself (although no heretics burnt that I am aware of).
25.5% 27
I am a natural-born proselytizer. Being quite an extroverted type I love to talk about my hobby and I have managed to convert many people to this faboulous world.
40.6% 43
Voters 106
This poll is now closed.   106 answers
Poll created by Rindis
Closes: Sun May 22, 2011 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
surmik
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

First question: I'm curious what it is what you like the most in Republic of Rome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another superb choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic choice, James! Congratulations Antonio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a number of questions I'd like to ask. Too many to remember all at once. So here's a couple to start with:

d10-1 I see that your comment on The Republic of Rome is, "IMO best game ever". First off, which version are you familiar with, the Avalon Hill version, or the Valley Games reprint? And, of course, just what about the game puts it on top of the other 10s on your list?
d10-2 RPGs helped pave your way to understanding English enough to play wargames published in English. Did you ever do much role-playing, or just read the books?
d10-3 How does the wargaming community look in Spain? How much effort does it take to get into a hobby where a lot of material is printed in a foreign language? (I guess I got lucky; my foreign language hobby can still be enjoyed without actually knowing Japanese....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! and I concur with them others on an excellent choice here too! The 'lye' is within the SOAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, muchas felicidades Abendoso!
Another great choice for GOTW!

A couple of questions:

I see that you rated Arkham Horror a 9. I've never played this game. The strange thing is that I keep seeing it pop up in wargamers' collections. What do you think makes this game popular in the wargamer crowd?

IFT or IIFT?

What's your favorite ASL scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
Alright!! Antonio, you are one of my favorite geeks! Thanks so much for taking over the MMP P500 geeklist. I'd love to play some OCS with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
veritas nos liberabit
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Excellent choice! Excellent, I say again.

A question, if you don't mind: do you think wargames are less popular in Europe than in America? If so, what you think is the reason? If, more importantly, what can be done about it (if anything should be)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mb
Congratulations Antonio

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All my best Antonio! Congratulations!!!

Always enjoy your contributions. Look forward to you being under the microscope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Antonio!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Antonio?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite alcoholic / non-alcoholic drink?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
Felicitaciones a mi amigo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Antonio!

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on GotW. Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Felicitaciones a mi amigo!

iWhat he said!

Great choice Rindis. Have a great week Antonio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
2015: The year of the wargame!!!
badge
Again with the negative waves!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the monthly MMP updates and congrats on Geek of the Week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmb
Congratulations, my good sir! A well-deserved title!

Long live you, king of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats Antonio. Well deserved and enjoy your week. Please do not forget that we have a future game of Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939 together.

As an Atletico Madrid fan, you must feel depressed at times given the proximity of the colossus that is Real. Does your support of the underdog in the Madrid soccer scene also make you always want to take the side of the underdog in your wargame sessions (say, the role of the Japanese in Empire of the Sun)?

Living in Europe and, thus, having some proximity to historical sites, have your ever visited a battlefield that was the subject of a game you have played?

Given your game collection, is it fair to say you are most interested in the 20th century? If not, what other historical periods interest you?

Viva Espana!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Wilk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
¡Enhorabuena, Antonio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

I had no idea Spain was so much into Euorgames...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play the guitar? Do you dance the Flamenco?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Antonio - Fine choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.