Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
Mr. Antonio B-D, what does 'B-D' part of your name stand for?
And what is so special about Fields of Fire, except its notoriety for its horribly written rules? (I have recently preordered it and reading the rules myself.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Antonio! Good to see another wargamer make GOTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
The 1000-Week Reich continues, unless, of course, someone makes a horribly wrong choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
The 1000-Week Reich continues, unless, of course, someone makes a horribly wrong choice!

My luck it will happen right before my turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Another excellent choice!

My questions:
1) What is the most historically interesting thing about your hometown?
2) What is the most interesting historic site you've visited?
3) Who is you favourite historical figure who isn't Charles V of Spain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Good choice! Congratulations!

It's been a good run for wargamers lately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio - you are a big fan of World in Flames. Have you tried any of the other grand strategic WW2 global games out there (e.g. SPI/TSR's Advanced ETO + Advanced PTO, AH's Advanced Third Reich + Empire of the Rising Sun)? If so, what were your thoughts? If not, why not?

Also - any interest in Decision Games' Dai Senso! + Totaler Krieg!, another globe-spanning grand strategic WW2 game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratualtions Antonio! Well deserved honor! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svetlana
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Ich will!
badge
In the confusion and the aftermath you are my signal fire. Hold me close, 'cause I need you to guide me to safety. The only resolution and the only joy is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes, I don't want to wait forever...
mb
Congratulations, Antonio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Smygehamn
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio
First of all, Congratulations the the Honor with capital H.

Then I have some questions.

You have Charles V as your avatar, and I also see that you like "Here I Stand". Is this a coincidens or.....? Could you share your thoughts about HIS, for example: your favorit-power, your thoughts about the historical accuracy, your opinion of the coming sequel "Virgin Queen".any happy moments from playing it etc.

I'm also interseded in what branch of law you are into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Antonio, have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent choice...Antonio is a great contributor!...

Antonio,my question is:Australia is a popular destination for backpackers and other more conventional tourists from Europe (I think all the rest are mostly Canadians and Japanese)...have you ever been here and if so where was your favourite place?...if by some chance you have not been here would you like to come some day and where in Australia would you like to go most?...

...also what is your favourite kind of spider?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
surmik wrote:
Congratulations!

First question: I'm curious what it is what you like the most in Republic of Rome?

Thanks surmik

I am a lawyer because I have always loved to speak in public, I love politics, I love history and I love backstabing. If you find any game better than Republic of Rome with this traits, please tell me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Rindis wrote:
I've got a number of questions I'd like to ask. Too many to remember all at once. So here's a couple to start with:

d10-1 I see that your comment on The Republic of Rome is, "IMO best game ever". First off, which version are you familiar with, the Avalon Hill version, or the Valley Games reprint? And, of course, just what about the game puts it on top of the other 10s on your list?

First of all, thank you (this time publicly) for nominating me for GOTW, it is a great honour indeed!

In relation to RoR, I grew up playing the Avalon Hill version, I have taught that version to many people and it is the one I know. As this is a friendly site I will decline commenting on the Valley Games Reprint. I own it but it is still in shrink (and it is also owned by at least three of my friends that used to play my old Avalon Hill copy).

Rindis wrote:
d10-2 RPGs helped pave your way to understanding English enough to play wargames published in English. Did you ever do much role-playing, or just read the books?

I used to play roleplaying (AD&D) in the school bus everyday when I was young 12-14. I loved it as the imagination is one of my great assets, but my closest friends where not much into it and I ditch it long ago.
Now I only play on rare occasions with a particular group of friends that have a campaign going on. I play a character that normally is controled by the DM and that has the least possible inteligence. I am normally deeply inebriated (I hope this means really drunk ) so I roleplay really well.

Rindis wrote:
d10-3 How does the wargaming community look in Spain? How much effort does it take to get into a hobby where a lot of material is printed in a foreign language? (I guess I got lucky; my foreign language hobby can still be enjoyed without actually knowing Japanese....)

Well language barrier is certainly an issue, but I guess that nowadays it is less an issue as it was when I started. Internet and the amelioration of the education in English has helped with that.

Still the main problem is that it is really niche and that games are expensive and not that easy to find. On the other hand we don't have (yet) the troubles other countries have with the import duty, so I can still get the P500 games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
sxmpxr wrote:
Congratulations, muchas felicidades Abendoso!
Another great choice for GOTW!

A couple of questions:

I see that you rated Arkham Horror a 9. I've never played this game. The strange thing is that I keep seeing it pop up in wargamers' collections. What do you think makes this game popular in the wargamer crowd?

Well, AH has solitaire suitability, which is always worth 1 or 2 points more for me! And it has shooting and killing things, and more importantly, my girlfriend will play with me!

You should have seen here, playing Sister Mary with a gun killing monster left and right! I had told her to avoid fighting, but she wanted to kill those monsters, and I haven't seen anyone rolling so many 6's!

sxmpxr wrote:
IFT or IIFT?
From my little knowledge of ASL, I have to go with the IFT. I don't like houseruling.

sxmpxr wrote:
What's your favorite ASL scenario?
I haven't played enough ASL to have a favourite scenario but S2 war of the rats is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
billyboy wrote:
Alright!! Antonio, you are one of my favorite geeks! Thanks so much for taking over the MMP P500 geeklist. I'd love to play some OCS with you.

Once this week passes and things calm down, I'll keep you to this comment!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
grouchysmurf wrote:
Excellent choice! Excellent, I say again.

A question, if you don't mind: do you think wargames are less popular in Europe than in America? If so, what you think is the reason? If, more importantly, what can be done about it (if anything should be)?

I don't think there is much difference in popularity, both are really extreme niche hobbies, so they are not very popular equally. Obviously, availability, and conventions are a great thing for those in the USA, but we still have some very good designers (Charles Vasey for example -but don't tell him I said it).

Also, I know that the Spanish gamers are not that frequent here and probably there are some polish website aswel and that can lead to the feeling that there are not enough of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations Antonio

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.

1. Yes, I was initiated to serious gaming through D&D, like everyone should.

2. I went there once by mistake I am not very interested in RPGs.

3. Of course I will! (I just have realized that there were three of us!).

Thank you and I will sure have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Narl wrote:
Congratulations Antonio!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Antonio?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite alcoholic / non-alcoholic drink?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Enjoy your week!

1. I don't have a favourite colour. I sometimes pick the blue to mock a friend that likes to be blue, but I don't really care.
2. I would love to say Spring, but I am having a lot of trouble this year with the alergy, so I am about to ban Spring as my favourite season!
3. I tried to play the piano once upon a time. After both the teacher and the piano suicidated, I decided that music was not meant to be played (by me).
4. Always. I am the kind of person that wakes up in the morning and starts singing (horribly bad).
5. Angel. My younger brother and my father are named Angel, I was the first grandson on my dad's side so I got my grandad's name (and proud of it). I was thinking of changing it to Juan in the confirmation because I really loved it, but my granny took that idea away from me.
6. Jamon. Chorizo. Lomo. Torta de la Serena. Torta del Casar....(Spanish products)
7. I don't drink much, but I like Santa Teresa (Rum) with Cola. Coke.
8. Afternoon, I am lazy in the mornings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations hermano!

Always grateful for the MMP500 list cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
kiraly wrote:
Excellent choice, James!

One question for you, Antonio... You have one week and can play any one game you'd like. Which game do you pick?

This oen is difficult. It depends on whether it is alone or with other people. I hardly decline a game of RoR, I have a group of friends I love playing Battlestar Galactica with.... A full game of World in Flames with Wendel, punching and playing my DAK copy...

I will confess a secret dream. I would love to play a game with many of my friends here in the geek, and get to meet you (I won't give names as I will forget someone).

But if I have to chose one... Scrabble with GROGnads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Capt_S wrote:
Congrats Antonio. Well deserved and enjoy your week. Please do not forget that we have a future game of Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939 together.

And a game of España 1936 also IIRC!

Capt_S wrote:
As an Atletico Madrid fan, you must feel depressed at times given the proximity of the colossus that is Real. Does your support of the underdog in the Madrid soccer scene also make you always want to take the side of the underdog in your wargame sessions (say, the role of the Japanese in Empire of the Sun)?

The underdog? Atletico de Madrid? You must be confusing my team with that other Madrid with the funny portuguese coach.

I don't root for the underdog, except when playing solitaire, but that makes me change who am I rooting for as the game develops. It is good being schizophrenic.

Capt_S wrote:
Living in Europe and, thus, having some proximity to historical sites, have your ever visited a battlefield that was the subject of a game you have played?

No. Well, I've never visited a battlefield per se, as this is not common in Spain (and I think in Europe in general). I have been in the countryside where my family is from and I have seen the lines of trenches of the SCW. I have seen the bunkers overlooking Ciudad Universitaria in Madrid, I lived near Talavera, and I have slept in more than one castle (if you ever come to Spain check out "Paradores" normally historical buildings transformed to hotels), but I have never gone hunting battle grounds.

Capt_S wrote:
Given your game collection, is it fair to say you are most interested in the 20th century? If not, what other historical periods interest you?

WWII. Origins, development and consequences, that is my main interest. Obviously, origins lead you to WWI and Bismarck, and consequences to the Cold War.

I am also interested in the Spanish 19th century (civil wars, assasinations, losing an empire, military coups... I think there is a game in the line of Republic of Rome here) and the Reconquista, but there are no games on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Hungadunga wrote:
Do you play the guitar? Do you dance the Flamenco?

No way! Although growing up I thought about learning to dance "Sevillanas", because the two or three boys that could dance where always dancing with girls!

I implied it above, but I will confess now. I have 2 left ears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
sullafelix wrote:
Congrats!
Mr. Antonio B-D, what does 'B-D' part of your name stand for?
And what is so special about Fields of Fire, except its notoriety for its horribly written rules? (I have recently preordered it and reading the rules myself.)

B-D stands for my surname. It gives me some anonimity in the internet, not because I want to use the anonimity to be rude, but because I work for high profile cases and I don't want other lawyers googling my name and coming up with my comments in BGG.

And Fields of Fire is very special because it is the first game that have force me to think like a real commander in the field. You don't have supreme control (your soldiers have initiative themselves), you don't have CRT and numbers, you meassure the volume of fire.... etc...
Wonderfully inmersive, and completely innovative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.