Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
aiabx wrote:
Congratulations! Another excellent choice!

My questions:
1) What is the most historically interesting thing about your hometown?
2) What is the most interesting historic site you've visited?
3) Who is you favourite historical figure who isn't Charles V of Spain?

1. Madrid (where I live), it is not particularly interesting from a historical point of view. Although you cannot miss the Prado Museum. Salamanca (where I was born) is another thing. You HAVE to visit the university, one of the oldest in the world.

2. I think that being in Budapest in the summer of 1986 or 1987 when I was just 7 or 8 and learning what a communist country was, was really impressive in my mind. Otherwise I will go with Berlin as whole and Pergamon museum in particular. And the Alhambra.

3. Winston Spencer Churchill. Hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Antonio - you are a big fan of World in Flames. Have you tried any of the other grand strategic WW2 global games out there (e.g. SPI/TSR's Advanced ETO + Advanced PTO, AH's Advanced Third Reich + Empire of the Rising Sun)? If so, what were your thoughts? If not, why not?

Also - any interest in Decision Games' Dai Senso! + Totaler Krieg!, another globe-spanning grand strategic WW2 game?

Sadly no. I would love to play Grand Strategy games and I am tempted by Dai Senso + Totaler Krieg, but the price and knowing that I will never get to play anything more complex than Europe Engulfed and Asia Engulfed has kept me away from it.

And... WiF the computer game will be out anyday now, together with Up Front 2000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
swedgamer wrote:
Antonio
First of all, Congratulations the the Honor with capital H.

Then I have some questions.

You have Charles V as your avatar, and I also see that you like "Here I Stand". Is this a coincidens or.....? Could you share your thoughts about HIS, for example: your favorit-power, your thoughts about the historical accuracy, your opinion of the coming sequel "Virgin Queen".any happy moments from playing it etc.

I'm also interseded in what branch of law you are into.

Well, my avatar has a game related story that I will disclose now.

By the time I earned enough GG to buy an avatar (this is the old days when GG was not given away by the hundreds!) I had the problem of what to chose. Not having any knowledge of computer or graphic design, I just picked an image of the computer version of 7 Ages that I was playtesting, and this one the only Spain related!

HiS, I have not played it enough to have a favourite power, and like all CDG they loosely relate to the period although they tend to separate too much from the historical events. I found it nonetheless, intriguing, and I am guessing that if it wasn't just a bit too involved it would top Twilight Struggle here in the geek.

In regards to "Virgin Queen", I am really looking forward to send that so-called "virgin" together with that Drake pirate, to the bottom of the sea!

I am a litigator, civil and commercial litigator with some touches of insolvency law. But almost always in proceedings between corporations, never or almost never with persons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
An excellent choice...Antonio is a great contributor!...

Antonio,my question is:Australia is a popular destination for backpackers and other more conventional tourists from Europe (I think all the rest are mostly Canadians and Japanese)...have you ever been here and if so where was your favourite place?...if by some chance you have not been here would you like to come some day and where in Australia would you like to go most?...

...also what is your favourite kind of spider?

I have always had the dream of going to Australia. I don't know why, but it has been a long live dream. And I will, probably (fingers crossed) fulfill it next year as it is the place where I want to go on honeymoon (I still have to propose, she has to accept -this is the difficult part I guess- and then she has to accept Australia, and we have to have the time -minimum 4 weeks holidays- so there are a lot of Ifs).

I am so scared of spiders that I won't even say that my favourite spider is a dead spider. My favourite spider is the one that lives far away and has no intention of travelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Nürnberg
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Antonio
congrats from the other side of the road.

I - as RPG geek of the week - read with joy that you are a roleplayer too. Well, kind of, sometimes

My questions are:
Do you speak German? (At least you said you were here on Erasmus)
Where in Germany have you been?
Have you ever seen or played Rolegames in German/Germany? (Especially the Call of Cthulhu stuff is brilliant, IMHO)

Have fun
Peter

P.S. I'm an arachnophobe too
See my RPG-geeklist: The arachnophobic´s guide to RPG Books. Readers afraid of spiders should reconsider buying these books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
pethulhu wrote:
Hi Antonio
congrats from the other side of the road.

I - as RPG geek of the week - read with joy that you are a roleplayer too. Well, kind of, sometimes

My questions are:
Do you speak German? (At least you said you were here on Erasmus)
Where in Germany have you been?
Have you ever seen or played Rolegames in German/Germany? (Especially the Call of Cthulhu stuff is brilliant, IMHO)

Have fun
Peter

P.S. I'm an arachnophobe too
See my RPG-geeklist: The arachnophobic´s guide to RPG Books. Readers afraid of spiders should reconsider buying these books.

Ich kann ein bisschen Deutsche sprechen aber ich kann nicht auf Deutsche schreiben!

My german is more than rusty, as I don't use it almost never, although I love it. Once I had to call an Austrian Judge on a matter I was working on, and I felt like a native from a lost island. "me, want, speak, Richter". "Ich heisse Antonio". "Client, problem, today, hearing, no go"... you get the picture.

I've traveled quite a lot in my Erasmus (I was in Göttingen, but I have also lived for summer periods in Tübingen and Rotenburg ob der Tauber), but just the ones deeper to my heart, Berlin (the most wonderful city I've ever been to), Hamburg (I was there last year supporting Atletico de Madrid when we won the Europa League cup), Kassel (yes Kassel, I managed to attend two days to the Eurowifcon when I was in Erasmus, so it gets a nod) and München.

I have never seen German roleplaying, my German level is not good enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmb
Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Antonio! It's always good to see Chuck V's face peering out of the screen. And well-done Jim, an excellent choice.

First, playing WIF solo is not REMOTELY insane, so that must be the lie!

Questions:

I didn't know you were a lawyer. Do Spaniards make the same lawyer jokes that Americans do (or quote Shakespeare's comment about lawyers)? And do you get tired of hearing them?

Lots of Spanish Civil Wars popping up over the past 3-4 years. Do you have a favorite? What are the essential elements in your view to a good simulation/game based on that war?

Do you have a favorite power to play in WIF?

Did you know that alphabetically, you are first on my list of geek-buddies?

Do you have a spare bedroom?

Do you ever travel to the Washington DC area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Antonio.

A well deserved merit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Congratulations Antonio! It's always good to see Chuck V's face peering out of the screen. And well-done Jim, an excellent choice.

I agree Wendell. Definitely not the lie. Especially with that solo gamer microbadge. I have played full campaigns of Pacific War and Vietnam 1965-1975 solo (many years ago) so I know this is totally possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
wifwendell wrote:

Questions:

Thanks Wendell, much appreciated.

wifwendell wrote:
I didn't know you were a lawyer. Do Spaniards make the same lawyer jokes that Americans do (or quote Shakespeare's comment about lawyers)? And do you get tired of hearing them?

We don't get the same jokes, particularly as there are many differences between our system and yours, that allows our lawyers to be "cleaner" in a way. Also, it is a very common university study as it allows for a wide arrange of state jobs you can apply to. It is said that "everybody in Spain is a lawyer unless proven otherwise" because there are so many!

wifwendell wrote:
Lots of Spanish Civil Wars popping up over the past 3-4 years. Do you have a favorite? What are the essential elements in your view to a good simulation/game based on that war?

The States of Siege game on the SCW, the problem is that as it is a prototype I am the only one that has ever played it

I am really looking forward to Crusade and Revolution for the reasons I have expressed elsewhere (in particular the title). I have yet to try TSCW as I am stuck reading the rules (and playing Afrika II).

wifwendell wrote:
Do you have a favorite power to play in WIF?
Germany. The invasion and naval rules have always been a headache for me, and I particularly prefer land campaigns but Russians do not appear until later... so Germany.

Alas, the one time I played WiF F-T-F (I might have played it otherwise whistle ) in Eurowifcon I was Italy as I was being schooled by the other players.

wifwendell wrote:
Did you know that alphabetically, you are first on my list of geek-buddies?
I did it on purpose!

wifwendell wrote:
Do you have a spare bedroom?
Well, I have the warroom and a spare bedroom, but you better be quick because my defense of my intimacy is going to be overrun by my GF any moment now.

wifwendell wrote:
Do you ever travel to the Washington DC area?
Funny you said that because my sister (former MSFS student in Georgetown) and my mother are planning a trip to Washington DC in the coming months and she has asked me to join them, but I am planning to go to one of the big August conventions with one of my best mates, so it won't be possible this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola Antonio, Enhorabuena!! Congratulations!!

If you had to come to Italy, come and visit me ... I'll definitely make a nice ride on the our highways! whistle ...

Good GWeek,

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Io debo essere ubriaco first! (For all of you non-europeans, the wonderful thing about the Erasmus scholarship is that you learn how to say "I want to be drunk" or derivatives in many languages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Antonio,

We have a SEA of different wines to tempt you! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Antonio!

I see someone nabbed the "your favorite Spanish Civil War" game question, so I'll just ask you how you think being a Spanish affects your views on such games.

What old school SPI/AH games did you never get to try, that you wished you had?

Is there anything more satisfying than seeing a battleship or carrier come off the production spiral in WIF?

Do you read a lot - and if so, what types of books? Any Arturo Pérez-Reverte? I must admit, his series has made me interested in the 17th Century Spain…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Chanfan wrote:
I see someone nabbed the "your favorite Spanish Civil War" game question, so I'll just ask you how you think being a Spanish affects your views on such games.

Maybe the fact that it is still hits too close to home (both of my grandads fought in the war and both of my grannies saved their lives from being assesinated by the "other" just barely) makes me not very interested in the first place (I cannot detach myself from the true in the first place). Also it means that I cannot like a purely military SCW game that does not include politics.

Chanfan wrote:
What old school SPI/AH games did you never get to try, that you wished you had?

Kremlin. I think it is like Junta and Republic of Rome, so I guess I would love it.

Chanfan wrote:
Is there anything more satisfying than seeing a battleship or carrier come off the production spiral in WIF?

Yeah, but getting a carrier is also good.

Chanfan wrote:
Do you read a lot - and if so, what types of books? Any Arturo Pérez-Reverte? I must admit, his series has made me interested in the 17th Century Spain…

I live reading. I cannot (nor am I willing) to stop. I need to read. The last novel I have finished is Nemesis, the XX novel in Lindsey Davis Marco Didius Falco saga. The last history book is Defeat into Victory. The last magazine are the three Operations Specials that I have read from cover to cover, and the last rules.... I am about to start reading the rules for Red November.

I enjoy Perez-Reverte (and his tweets, in Spanish, are really funny). I don't consider his Alatriste saga as a work of art, but they are very enjoyable, and the Siglo de Oro (the Spanish Golden Century in Literature in particular and in arts in general) is amazing (Gongora, Lope de Vega, Quevedo, etc...). Also, Perez-Reverte is a (computer) wargamer like myself and he loves the Aubrey-Maturin saga just like I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
Have you had to fortune to attend the Défilé de "Cartagineses y Romanos"?
http://www.cartaginesesyromanos.es/index.php?option=com_cont...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
AnalogGamer wrote:
Congratulations!
Have you had to fortune to attend the Défilé de "Cartagineses y Romanos"?
http://www.cartaginesesyromanos.es/index.php?option=com_cont...

Thanks. I have not, I tend to shy away from all this celebrations (Fallas, San Fermines, Semana Santa en Sevilla, Tomatina, etc...) although I have been to medieval fairs that are less crowded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Add my congrats
Hey, I knew that I knew that name -- Congratulations!

See you again in the comments on Wendell's "This Day - EVERY DAY - in History (a 366-Item Geeklist, Eventually)" geeklist!

I'll even ask you a question, as well (I usually don't do this):

Are they ever going to finish the Sagrada Familia, in Barcelona?
I want to visit Spain but I'm waiting until the construction is done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Also it means that I cannot like a purely military SCW game that does not include politics.

Do you have any opinion on which SCW game includes the politics in the best manner?

Which other topics do you enjoy gaming where politics and warfare are mixed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
wow COMBO BREAK! whistle

Hungadunga wrote:
Do you play the guitar? Do you dance the Flamenco?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
MABBY wrote:
Hey, I knew that I knew that name -- Congratulations!

See you again in the comments on Wendell's "This Day - EVERY DAY - in History (a 366-Item Geeklist, Eventually)" geeklist!

I'll even ask you a question, as well (I usually don't do this):

Are they ever going to finish the Sagrada Familia, in Barcelona?
I want to visit Spain but I'm waiting until the construction is done...

Then you will have time aplenty! Well, I think the Pope consacrated the Sagrada Familia this year, so they are probably close to ending it. BTW even if it is not yet finished, it is a wonderful visit, and Barcelona is well worth the trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
sxmpxr wrote:
abendoso wrote:
Also it means that I cannot like a purely military SCW game that does not include politics.

Do you have any opinion on which SCW game includes the politics in the best manner?

Which other topics do you enjoy gaming where politics and warfare are mixed?

For me the best game is going to be Crusade and Revolution currently in MMP's preorder page. But we will see.

I enjoy gaming any kind of game, but politics and warfare mixed together are indeed a favourite of mine. Here I Stand, Republic of Rome, Twilight Imperium 3rd ediion,.... negotiation and warfare yummmy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fellow "Monster Game" badge holder Congratulations, Sir.

~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
southern_cross_116 wrote:
A fellow "Monster Game" badge holder Congratulations, Sir.

~Steve
Have you ever SEEN 2 full-on 'sheets' of plywood connecting A-L-L them "DNO & UNT" maps with CHARTS sprawled across these? Well, when we'd SET out in the "BE-gin country" our 'senses' were "assaulted" by THOSE, and do you KNOW what I 'mean' BY "assaulted!?!"
robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.