Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in the general wargames forum, but wanted to cross-post it here too.

empires of the middle ages experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicomte13 13
msg tools
This is one of my favorite games of all time (along with Third Reich and War and Peace).

The thing about Empires of the Middle Ages is that you have to be philosophical, and you actually have to think about what the game is teaching you about people and government.

The Middle Ages was an era without effective technological differences between the various European kingdoms. Such differences as there were only came to bear in certain unique situations. Example: the narrow, muddy field of Azincourt, and the French decision to charge down the middle of it (instead of enveloping the English with cavalry), was perfect for the longbow, but the longbow didn't save the English against the Fabian strategy of Du Guesclin, and it didn't stop Joan of Arc from sweeping the English from the field.

In Empires of the Middle Ages, you discover that individual leadership was THE determining element in that era. The personal attributes of a given leader determine what you can do easily, what you can do at cost, and what you shouldn't even try.

Of particular note: the cards will allow a player who is attempting to Administer his provinces (the "Ruling" choice) to actually make things WORSE. And if one does that in a province already in Unrest, either because you've pissed off the locals by taxing them once too often, or because you just conquered the place and are trying to pacify it, you can end up provoking a revolt that loses the province!

Leaders are crucial to everything. Money helps. By spending money, you can boost the chances of success, but they're never 100%. Personalities counted for everything in that period.

Had it not been for Henry Plantagenet and the Black Prince, the English never would have grabbed hold of half of France. If it were not for Joan of Arc unzipping their whole empire in the course of a year, it is difficult to imagine the English ever being dislodged.

The game also teaches you the importance of language, religion and fortresses.

If one learns the discipline of the game, one comes to realize that it is possible to slowly build an empire on a base, to fortify it and intermarry within it in order to make taxation unlikely to cause explosions. Forts mean that even when your leader dies heirless, you probably won't lose your provinces.

It's the Middle Ages. Everything moves SLOWLY.

I have played it many times solitaire, only twice against live opponents. Because I had played it solitaire so many times, I knew what to do. In truth, each player is essentially at war with the game system itself, barely with other players.

I found that by following a few key principles: make marriage ties, fortify, rule to build up the economy, take only a province or two at a time, and colonize to bring other provinces into your main language group.

Follow the "zen" of the Middle Ages and you can build up substantial, profitable empires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Grey
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
I just got this game it looks very informative. My only problem is it is missing card number 220. Can you tell me what is on that card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
kcsl3 wrote:
I just got this game it looks very informative. My only problem is it is missing card number 220. Can you tell me what is on that card?

Card 220 is Charles the Bold (header in blue, L (1401-1500). It is a "HOLD" card.

Language group: langue d'oil

Combat: +1
Administration: +2
Diplomacy: +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Grey
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thank you. Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.