Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
It is time for me to let go of the Geek of the Week position and pass it on to someone else. And this someone else is Murray.

You might not know the name or even the username (MABBY) but you'll sure remember his avatar as one of the most striking avatars in the geek. And also a very nice, inteligent and fun poster. A true, Geek of the Week.

¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
First of all, I need to thank Antonio for nominating me for this thing.
We run across each other on several threads around here but I never thought that this would happen to me.

OK, then.
My name is Murray, and I’m a boardgame addict.

I grew up loving both reading and playing games. I was an avid card player by the age of five. Visits to my grandparents, on my dad’s side, began with me running past them (avoiding hugs and kisses) straight for the cards and the cribbage board. I could have played crib until midnight, if they would have let me.
Special occasions brought with them aunts, uncles, cousins, and long games of Canasta and Rummoli.
My grandfather taught me how to solve crossword puzzles of all sorts, as well.
Meanwhile, on my mother’s side, I played Scrabble with my grandmother whenever we got together. That game has instilled a love of words (and anagrams) that stays with me to this day.
My first real boardgaming experience, as I recall fondly, was one called "Stock Ticker", which was the only game that my father ever owned. It’s pretty easy; very luck-based because of the dice rolls, but I just loved it.

Speaking of my father, it is from him whom I gained my sense of humour. I love to laugh.
My childhood was full of comedy; mostly from television shows. From "Gilligan’s Island" to "Hogan’s Heroes" to "Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In" to "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman", "Soap", and "Saturday Night Live", my days (and into the wee morning hours) were spent in search of comedy.

In other respects, I was a typical boy of the times. I had dozens of model airplanes and cars, and the usual boardgames (Stratego, Battleships, Monopoly, Operation, Clue, Risk, and so on). I also bought a copy of "Panzerblitz"; I punched out all of the chits, and noodled around a bit with it, but I never could find anyone willing to play it with me.

By the time I had reached University, the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons phenomena was taking hold. A residence/ dorm-mate friend of mine blew his entire student loan on AD&D goodies, and he set up an ongoing campaign that was run from his dorm room. He didn’t have time to go to classes.
We loved the game and, after graduations and all, I still played AD&D, weekly, for many years (15?). I liked being a DM because of my latent creativity, and everyone seemed to enjoy my "world". Sadly, once marriages and children came along for the last of us, people moved away and we had to quit.
My roommate (after University) and I liked to go to the horse races, to place small bets, and we found a local game store that sold the Avalon Hill bookcase edition of the horseracing game "Win, Place & Show" so we bought it, as a joint purchase. He still has it. But my collection is now 86 times larger than his.
The first game that I bought after I got married was "Eurorails", and it remains the favorite of the house.

I found BGG while looking online for strategy tips for the game "Priceless". I noticed right away that BGG was laid out better than most user forums, and I found myself returning there quite often. I was especially attracted by the "games owned" section of the user profiles, since it allowed a person to keep track of what they owned and what they played.
Once I got into reading and participating in geeklists, though, I was completely hooked.

I think that George Carlin had it right when he advised us to "question everything". I love to ruminate on the reasons why seemingly normal people do abnormal things. I try to push the boundaries and I’m very much in favor of there being more creativity and beauty in normal, drab, every-day items; like advertisements, say, or restaurant menus, or website forums...

Poll
Two truths and a lie, but which one is which?
I once drank too much coffee on a camping trip and suffered for close to an hour, on a very narrow, winding, bumpy, mountain road (i.e. no trees or bushes), before the driver could find a place to stop so that I could empty my swollen bladder.
I have seen the live Irish dance show, "Riverdance" (including its cousin, "Lord of the Dance"), three times.
I once worked in a clothing store and was the top-performing employee there. My nametag read "Patrick", instead of Murray, and I truly believe that this, alone, was the reason for my success.
      100 answers
Poll created by abendoso

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Congrats, Murray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Well I think it is the time for me to start the ball rolling.

So... have you ever played a wargame? Are you interested in wargames?

What is your biggest gaming guilty pleasure (dumbest game that you like)

And.. congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Murray, have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Murray!

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary horder
England
leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats from a newbie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 22988. grograt
  • 1d100 =
  • (39) =
  • Critical Geek Save
  • Sun May 22, 2011 5:40 pm
ian morris
United Kingdom
lichfield
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Murray.

Love that avatar !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
You have Trival Pusuit rated a 9. Does that mean you play(ed) it a lot. Don't you get to know all the questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Mabbyson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Murray!

d10-1What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Murray?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite alcoholic / non-alcoholic drink?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?

Enjoy your week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, MABBY!

Is it true that people who live in Calgary only eat beef?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svetlana
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Ich will!
badge
In the confusion and the aftermath you are my signal fire. Hold me close, 'cause I need you to guide me to safety. The only resolution and the only joy is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes, I don't want to wait forever...
mb
Congratulations, Murray!

I like your avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to you and your scary avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Murray! Great avatar; that has to be one of the most unflappable people ever, filming that rally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! MABBY and what do you think of this: Blocks = "Stratego" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hungadunga wrote:
Congrats, MABBY!

Is it true that people who live in Calgary only eat beef?

Congrats fellow Calgarian and Days of the Year Geeklist layabout..

Follow up question:

Where can I find a good hamburger in Calgary? I have tried many a burger joint and the only one that was any good was too small and remote to succeed. The rest have all been crap.

One more:

Do you frequent "The Sentry Box"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I always look forward to your comments in the better quality geeklists.

Let me ask a few questions-
1) What's the coolest historic site you've visited?
2) What is life like in a city where the hockey team isn't a national embarrassment?
3) What's your all-time favourite beer?

Enjoy your week! Don't forget all the little people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

Prepare for a week of random quesitons and musings from people you don't know.

On that note, here we go:

1. Least favorite D&D (any edition) Class as a player? Why?
2. Favorite D&D (any edition) Class as a player? Why?
3. Is there a class of character that makes you groan as a DM when a player chooses? If so why?
4. Have you tried any of the dungeon crawler boardgames like Descent etc.?
5. Whats your take on the San Juan upgrade from the Alea Treasure chest? I see that you own the base game and expansion and I have to admit for me it does not get much table time since I 'discovered' Race for the Galaxy and I am wondering if the expansion would bring San Juan back to the table.
6. You San Juan highly. Are you interested in Race for the Glaxy? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance for your sage GotW wisdom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

Poll
Two truths and a lie, but which one is which?
I once drank too much coffee on a camping trip and suffered for close to an hour, on a very narrow, winding, bumpy, mountain road (i.e. no trees or bushes), before the driver could find a place to stop so that I could empty my swollen bladder.
I have seen the live Irish dance show, "Riverdance" (including its cousin, "Lord of the Dance"), three times.
I once worked in a clothing store and was the top-performing employee there. My nametag read "Patrick", instead of Murray, and I truly believe that this, alone, was the reason for my success.
      100 answers
Poll created by abendoso

So that was an Irish clothing store, then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beatress pabett
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for asking this, but how does one get be a geek of the week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
beatress wrote:
Not a problem, and that's easy: HAVE a 'friend' as the previous ONE! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
beatress wrote:

Sexual favors.

Oh, and congratulations, MABBY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good show gent, congrats on the GoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.