Subject: Geek of the Week #297 - MABBY rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Congrats!

Prepare for a week of random quesitons and musings from people you don't know.

On that note, here we go:

1. Least favorite D&D (any edition) Class as a player? Why?
2. Favorite D&D (any edition) Class as a player? Why?
3. Is there a class of character that makes you groan as a DM when a player chooses? If so why?
4. Have you tried any of the dungeon crawler boardgames like Descent etc.?
5. Whats your take on the San Juan upgrade from the Alea Treasure chest? I see that you own the base game and expansion and I have to admit for me it does not get much table time since I 'discovered' Race for the Galaxy and I am wondering if the expansion would bring San Juan back to the table.
6. You San Juan highly. Are you interested in Race for the Glaxy? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance for your sage GotW wisdom
Thank-you very much!

Last one before lunch, today:

1. Least favorite D&D (any edition) Class as a player? Why?
I'd say that a fighter is my least favorite. Lots of damage but not much finesse or panache. Even a Paladin has his uses, but playing a straight Fighter just bores me.
2. Favorite D&D (any edition) Class as a player? Why?
A Ranger has both finesse or panache, in spades.
3. Is there a class of character that makes you groan as a DM when a player chooses? If so why?
Nope, none. As a DM, I don't begrudge anyone's choices. If you can put some character (and character flaws) into your straight-ahead Fighter, then I'll give him the respect that he's due. Good on 'ya.
4. Have you tried any of the dungeon crawler boardgames like Descent etc.?
I never have, no. I worry about how many players it takes to make those games successful, and I can't round up more than two or three interested people, most days.
5. What's your take on the San Juan upgrade from the Alea Treasure chest?
That's a really great question. I actually play San Juan less, now that I've added in the expansion bits. I'm thinking about keeping them seperate, for when I feel like playing with them, but the base game was solid on its own and I like it better.
6. You (rank) San Juan highly. Are you interested in Race for the Galaxy? Why or why not?
I'd say no. I don't think that the theme of RFTG thrills me, all that much. I know that my wife would need convincing, whereas anything medieval generally turns her crank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congrats MABBY!

What has been your longest gaming session non-stop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
So that was an Irish clothing store, then?
That would be a hilarious image. 7/8 of the store with over-the-top, gaudy colored, vaguely Celtic-themed dresses, and accessories, and the "Boys" section: 1/8 of the store with black pants and white shirts. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I grew up loving both reading and playing games. I was an avid card player by the age of five. Visits to my grandparents, on my dad’s side, began with me running past them (avoiding hugs and kisses) straight for the cards and the cribbage board. I could have played crib until midnight, if they would have let me.
Special occasions brought with them aunts, uncles, cousins, and long games of Canasta and Rummoli.
My grandfather taught me how to solve crossword puzzles of all sorts, as well.

Speaking of my father, it is from him whom I gained my sense of humour. I love to laugh.
My childhood was full of comedy; mostly from television shows. From "Gilligan’s Island" to "Hogan’s Heroes" to "Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In" to "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman", "Soap", and "Saturday Night Live", my days (and into the wee morning hours) were spent in search of comedy

Congratulations! And here's to those halcyon days:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Congrats MABBY!

What has been your longest gaming session non-stop?
Thanks.

Ooh! I just spotted this & couldn't resist answering: 14 hours.
We played AD&D, six of us plus a Dungeon Master, from 1:30 pm until 3:30 am, the only (tiny) break being answering the door to get the pizza delivered for supper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beatress wrote:
Sorry for asking this, but how does one get be a geek of the week?
A valid question.
1) Hang around posting your comments on enough geeklists and someone is bound to agree with an opinion or two.
2) Get a snazzy avatar if your opinions are less than stellar (worked for me!).
3) Wait for someone else to nominate you.
4) As suggested, later on in this list by someone else, giving sexual favours cannot be under-valued.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
beatress wrote:
Sorry for asking this, but how does one get be a geek of the week?

Sexual favors.

Oh, and congratulations, MABBY.
Thanks.
You can't beat an honest but glib answer. Sexual favors! laughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tadpoleface wrote:
Good show gent, congrats on the GoW
Well thank-you.
So I'm a gent; now I'll have to work on the scholar.
Your post makes me want to ask a few questions of my own:
1) Do tadpoles even have faces?
2) Does your's look like one?
3) Ever heard of a band (early to mid '80s) called "Tenpole Tudor"?

Hmmm. I really do have to work on the scholar part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sxmpxr wrote:
Capt_S wrote:
sxmpxr wrote:
I spent some time in Calgary about ten years ago. Were you one of the cowboys that tried to beat me and my friends up?

I should have asked Capt_S this when I had a chance...

Not me. I am the furthest thing from a cowboy. I would not even know which end of the horse I am supposed to feed.

Glad to hear it!

Another question:

Mabby, do you know which end of the horse to feed?
I think that I could figure it out, but I'd rather bet on them than feed them. They can feed themselves, though, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xTHAWx wrote:
Congratulations on becoming GotW, Mabby!

So, where did you get that avatar from??
Thank you very much.

I hope that this works, because it will obviously save me a ton of time:
My Avatar...

And...SUCCESS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Congrats and hopefully that was not you in your avatar...that looked like a close call.
Thank-you, Tom.
Nope, it's not me. Is that you in yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:

Congratulations! Enjoy your week and celebrate it with a nice Belgian ale!
thumbsup Thank you!
What a fabulous idea. I have a big bottle of Maredsous Trippel in my beer fridge. So that takes care of tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielCG wrote:
Congratulations and enjoy your week.
Thank you, Daniel.
I see "Brazil 2014" over top of your avatar--is Brazil hosting the World Cup? That will be some kind of excitement, there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
Congratulations! And here's to those halcyon days:

Thank-you!
Halcyon days, indeed. I was raised by television. My few examples are dwarved by the numbers of shows that I could have mentioned with those.

"Hogan!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Congrats to you and your scary avatar.

markus_kt wrote:
Congrats Murray! Great avatar; that has to be one of the most unflappable people ever, filming that rally.

Thank-you and thank-you.

I was always jealous of folks with a nice GIF avatar and then I was sent that one, out of the blue.

Yeah! Another chance to use my favorite new link: My Avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
2) In a related note, my favorite day in history is April 24th, 1989, which is my daughter's birthday.

thumbsup I, too, happen to be a fan of April 24th. Both my wife and I were born on the very same day in 1976: April 24th! It's like a mini Christmas in the Spring at our house! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
[q="gamer72"]

By the look of the wreckage, the driver was probably banged up pretty good but I have never been able to find out who it was or what happened.
It is compelling, though.

I posted a more complete video in http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/55542/item/1309418#ite....

Edit: Aaaaand it's been disabled. Looks like it's still on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdGKeQph-Q&feature=player_em...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Valle del Kas
Madrid
flag msg tools
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Murray!!

What's your favorite movie?

You Got the Microbadge "fan of Monopoly" ... but you only have it rated a 5 ... Why? A disappointment in the past?

Which character from "Big Bang Theory" is your favorite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

I'm a huge fan of La Fin de Monde, from Unibroue (Quebec), though.

kiss

thumbsup Unibroue thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
squash wrote:
Cheers to MABBY!!
Thanks, Josh.
Normally (?) you'd go through the list of people to thank in a logical order, but spotting Josh gives me a chance to thank him again.
He tipped me gold so that I could get my "Belgian Beer Lover" microbadge.
He's also a connoisseur of the many fine ales of the world, (and a fellow Muppets fan) so we bump into each other on beer threads throughout these lists.

You can bet that I'll have at least 1 beer-related question for you after I get through my last night shift tonight... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ragge1 wrote:

It's too bad that people around here are so subtle with their real feelings. It's tough to read them sometimes.

(Thank-you ever so much!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markus_kt wrote:
thumbsup
You have no idea how hard I've looked for that. I guess my keywords aren't the same as yours.
With sound, and extra footage. That's awsome. I finally have an origin to tell people about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bethesda wrote:
Congrats Murray!!

What's your favorite movie?

You Got the Microbadge "fan of Monopoly" ... but you only have it rated a 5 ... Why? A disappointment in the past?

Which character from "Big Bang Theory" is your favorite?
Tank you berry much.

My favorite movie, bar none, is Monty Python's "Life of Brian". I'm a big fan of Elvira Mistress of the Dark, but "Bwian" gets my vote.

This past April Fools Day, almost everyone was a "fan of Monopoly".
I keep the micro as a "badge of honor", one to remind me that I got it on that day.
I might move Monopoly up a notch, to a 6, now that you mention it.

Big Bang Theory would be nowhere without Sheldon, but I actually like Penny's character the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
[You can bet that I'll have at least 1 beer-related question for you after I get through my last night shift tonight... cool
Excellent. Don't take it easy on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.