Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, Donald, and Scott are discuss game sequels.

Erik Takes 5 on solo games
Erik reviews the Catan Dice Game and Delve: The Dice Game
Don reviews Fight!, So Long Sucker, and Labyrintus

Blog Entry: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-060-the-sequel
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the PnP game reviews on this episode, it is a nice change after you listen on other podcasts the ninth review of the Confusion game.

Sometimes if you review an obscure game, it can be all good and awesome but if after that there is no way to obtain it, then it is for nothing, Scott once said that he does not want to talk about Wabash Cannonball as the print out was so short that there was no way anyone can get it, so why bother?

With the PnP games you don't have that problem so it is nice to have some reviewed, I still like the comercial games, and still wants to have reviews of those on your podcast, but if any of you play any other PnP , please review it.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
I enjoyed the PnP game reviews on this episode...

Thanks!

I'll include more as Tony shows them off. I also have a few in my "to play list" already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with Scott on the subject of sequels in board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Meaning what? It's a fine thing to agree with him, but share a little what you agree with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Awakening wrote:
Meaning what? It's a fine thing to agree with him, but share a little what you agree with.

Well, I would just repeat what he said Factory Manager should not have been called Power Grid, Tikal 2 should not be numbered. Catan and Carcasonne have expansions as well as other games set in the same world/franchise. Board games tend to not have sequels, usually the same components from the base game is reused.

Here's a thought though. Are the Ticket to Ride series sequels? To me sequels are continuation and TTR is just different variations on the same game system, not true sequels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thanks a lot, Eric. Now I'm wasting entirely too much time with Delve. I've already created an Excel version today and I see there's an online and an offline app out there too. The advantage of mine is that it appears to be far more work-related for playing during the day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chicken or Egg?
[re: Scott's comment about Hasbro, around 20 minutes in]

Hasbro might not be the problem. I've lost the source now, but I remember reading or hearing that Target Corp's toy/game buyers were convinced that franchise-bearing games were the ones that sold. Judging from Target shelves now, this might be changing a little. A few titles that have sold well elsewhere, like Settlers, are there now. (Hello, 1995!)

I suspect the biggest issue is that most buyers don't put game mechanisms high on their list of purchasing criteria. A picture of Spiderman is more of a draw than "hand management".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aristocratbacon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
aristocratbacon
I ... I don't understand. But two of those look like bacon, so hoorah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walsfeo wrote:
I ... I don't understand. But two of those look like bacon, so hoorah!

It was an attempt at an emoticon reference to one of the outtakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ooh, nose bacon. That's not good at all.

That's what I get when I use my c-pap machine without putting water in it. If I have allergies then when I wake up instead of stuffy sinuses I wake up with nose bacon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal II should be "the Lost Temple of Tikal". I don't think that franchising is bad though. As they make it much easier for casual gamers to have a connection with the game before they buy.

A sequel that I feel has it's place was the "Dungeon Twister 2: The Prison" Stand alone expansion that basically rebooted the original game and formed a new entry point. I think that is where sequels could be useful.

I also think that the editions of games like "Talisman", "Twilight Imperium" and "Cosmic Encounter" that have significantly different components and changes to rules are effectively sequels they are often referred to by their edition number and have similar upgrades that you would expect of a sequel in the video game world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Eric Hansen: Sequels are a continuation of the story. New versions of old games are just editions, not sequels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
knaves wrote:
A sequel that I feel has it's place was the "Dungeon Twister 2: The Prison" Stand alone expansion that basically rebooted the original game and formed a new entry point. I think that is where sequels could be useful.

Great thought there, I agree that this would be a wonderful way to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Well thanks a lot, Eric. Now I'm wasting entirely too much time with Delve. I've already created an Excel version today and I see there's an online and an offline app out there too. The advantage of mine is that it appears to be far more work-related for playing during the day...

Sorry. If it is any consolation, I've been making a spreadsheet to build Chronopia armies myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Downloading at 56 Kbps. Reading at 0.2 Kbps
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik

Is there an online written list of your Games that work well solo? I always listen to the 'cast in the car and I have a memory like ummmm... One of those metal hemispheres with holes punched in it, that's used for straining pasta and veg...

If not,'could someone add it to he show notes?

Thanks

p.s. Good show - the in depth discussion is always thought provoking and very much makes this show unique. The segment on PnP was also very welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.