Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Clarity: no one wants to change Hot Deals. It's fine. I think people just want to know what the rules are, rather than leaving them implied or enforced at the moment.

A Hot Deal posting HAS:
1. A price.
2. A Region or virtual platform in the subject line ([US], [Europe], [Global], [Kansas City, MO, USA], [iOS/Android/PC/Mac], etc.)
3. A descriptive subject line that includes: retailer and price or discount percentage.
4. A board game or board game related item for sale.

A Hot Deal posting DOES/IS NOT:
1. From a dealer.
2. An auction
3. Contain a referral link / request of any kind.
4. Contain a members-only website (members-only stores, like Costco are ok)

For the good of the community, please do a cursory bit of research to determine if the deal is really hot or not. Some helpful websites:

Aggregate Search Websites
http://www.BoardGameSearch.com/
http://www.BoardGamePrices.com/

Retailers with commonly good prices (may be included by the above search websites):
Amazon
Boards & Bits
CoolStuffInc
Boardgame Revolution
Fair Play Games

EDIT: I'm getting a fair amount of resistence to this idea of having a "list of rules" that is making me think I'm taking crazy pills. Many forums has a list of guidelines or rules to help new posters make successful posts.

My understanding is that these rules aren't written down... they are sort of agreed upon on a case-by-case basis (and sort of inconsistently), so my suggestion was we get together and figure out what these rules are. Apparently this is not appropriate for Hot Deals and a majority (at least a vocal majority) of the regular users prefer the status quo over making the forum more friendly for new users. It's sad really, but I prefer not to find out after posting that my post was going to get deleted.

For me this means not posting to Hot Deals.

I'll leave this here for posterity because I believe it represents what the "understood" set of rules are to a degree and perhaps a new person will stumble across it and it'll help some.

-------------------------------------------
Admin Edit by
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm pinning this thread to the Hot Deals forum. It does a nice job of summarizing what has, up to now, been largely tribal knowledge. It's a very useful set of guidelines and I can see it being quite helpful to people checking out Hot Deals for the first time.

Thanks to andersonimes for taking the initiative on this effort!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Post the hottest prices and deals you find on the net.Please post deals you've found, not items you are seeking. No coupon codes, no dealers, no eBay auctions, no SPAM."
It's not that hard :P If you're referring to the Deniath debaucle, then see previous admin replies.
And why do you take the "it's $X cheaper here" posts so personal? Isn't it a good thing that an even better deal is brought to light? I missed the "Hot Deal" in your post btw ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
A Gren Fox in lieu of Miss Turtle Artist's fox
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen!

*High Five!* and I know that you are not the only one who feels this way.

Really, I subscribe to the Hot Deals forum. As long as the subject line is clear, then I'm cool with everything, even re-posts. It's really not that hard to click *mark read* if I don't want to visit that post.

Is it really worth missing out on a potential deal so we can have a perfect forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gawain wrote:
"Post the hottest prices and deals you find on the net.Please post deals you've found, not items you are seeking. No coupon codes, no dealers, no eBay auctions, no SPAM."
It's not that hard If you're referring to the Deniath debaucle, then see previous admin replies.
And why do you take the "it's $X cheaper here" posts so personal? Isn't it a good thing that an even better deal is brought to light?

This is great verbiage, but where can it be found... I don't see that?

The Deniath post is the thing that pushed me over the edge, but if you look, nearly every post has this crap in it. The culture here seems pretty hostile. This is what I'm referring to.

There are unwritten rules and guidelines and just some pretty vitriolic feedback. I personally think if you don't think the deal is hot enough you shouldn't thumb it. That simple. That's just me. How is a new person supposed to know all of these rules? That's all I'm saying. Pinned thread with rules and I think we'd all be happier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andersonimes wrote:
Gawain wrote:
It's not that hard If you're referring to the Deniath debaucle, then see previous admin replies.
And why do you take the "it's $X cheaper here" posts so personal? Isn't it a good thing that an even better deal is brought to light?

This is great verbiage, but where can it be found... I don't see that?

It's the description of the Hot Deals Forum in the Forums list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, I see it now (never noticed that before). I usually look for pinned threads like are in the Trades forum.

What else do we want to add? Do we really adhere to this? I see Borders coupon codes every week with mixed good (thanks!) and bad (Borders SUCKS) feedback, even though they don't follow this guideline. Do we want to modify this? What's the real rule here?

Deniath invites don't really fall under those categories exactly. Should we outlaw them (I say yes, given the consistent negative feedback)?

What kind of feedback is good and what do we want to discourage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mbmbmbmbmb
andersonimes wrote:
I don't want to be hassled when I want to share it.

Just do what I do in every case. If you think it's a deal worth posting, then post it. And if someone wants to be a pisser about it, who cares? Let them go punch knots in the wall, they aren't in control here. Just flag their posts, and ignore them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people are just grumpy, and it seems to be the same people every time.

If you think it's a good deal, post it.

What harm comes of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
andersonimes wrote:

Just do what I do in every case. If you think it's a deal worth posting, then post it. And if someone wants to be a pisser about it, who cares? Let them go punch knots in the wall, they aren't in control here. Just flag their posts, and ignore them.

That's twice I have agreed with you now in the last couple of months Chapel.

Maybe the rapture IS coming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
MWChapel wrote:
andersonimes wrote:

I agree. I don't use flags enough.

I DO want to be a good citizen, though. It is hard to know what feedback is good and what is just negative Nancy. When I see negative feedback I do wonder if I'm breaking a rule. When the rules are unwritten (or written and largely ignored (as with coupons), the only confirmation you've broken a REAL rule is when the mods delete a post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
andersonimes wrote:

I think this is good advice.

But most people try to conform to the culture of a website. Unfortunately, there are a lot of extremely picky and vocal people in the buying and selling forum. They give the impression that there is a right and wrong way to post deals.

If you aren't as familiar with BGG, it would be easy to be confused about what kind of deals are okay to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing the Hot Deals really NEEDS is a form of separation between regions. Every now and then when a European deal is posted, it quickly drowns in all the US stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Cough! Cough!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Unfortunately, there are a lot of extremely picky and vocal people in the buying and selling forum. They give the impression that there is a right and wrong way to post deals.

Yes, for better or worse, there are many Sheldon-like geeks on here! Don't let them bother you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andersonimes wrote:
Alright folks. I've tried to be a good citizen and post hot deals here before. The feedback I typically get is of one of two varieties:

1. This is not a hot deal. How could you not know about obscure website X with $1 less.
2. This is the wrong forum because of Y.

Every once in a long while, I will get:
3. Thanks!

I'm not the only person who gets flack when they post. Nearly every post has this. I wonder how many deals we've missed out on because the person who might post it decides not to deal with the flames. I know I sit for a good 15 minutes thinking about the validity of my posts and *still* get it wrong nearly every time. I think posting should be encouraged and the use of the thumb should be judicious.

I don't see any pinned threads or any guidelines anywhere that detail the rules for this forum (beyond general Community Rules). My suggestion is that we discuss what we think the rules for posting to Hot Deals should be and make a pinned thread with that information in it as guidelines for newbies and veteran deal-searchers.

I just want to find cheap games, folks. I don't want to be hassled when I want to share it.

This is not a hot deal and should not be posted in this for....just kidding....I couldn't resist after reading your post.

In all seriousness though just post anything you think is a good deal. I'd much rather have too much information and than too low...and if someone else finds an even better deal and posts it, well I apprecaite that too.

Thanks for taking the time to post the deals here as I more often than not get deals by reading them here rather than actually checking the individual store web pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll take a first pass at this. You guys tell me what you think. If it looks ok, I'll edit my original post to include this with the intent that I will make this a pinnable thread.

A Hot Deal posting HAS:
1. A price.
2. A Region in the subject line ([US], [Europe], [Global], [Kansas City, MO, USA], [iOS/Android/PC/Mac], etc.)
3. A descriptive subject line that includes: retailer and price or discount percentage.
4. A board game or board game related item for sale.

1. From a dealer.
2. An auction or from an auction site.
3. Spam.
4. Contain a referral link / request of any kind.
5. Contain a members-only website (members-only stores, like Costco are ok)

Note I have left out coupons for now, as they seem to be implicitly accepted.

I'd like to say something about replies here, since it's the thing I take the most issue with, but perhaps having this to point to would help regardless of trying to engineer the social interactions.

Also: my Deniath post was removed by the mods even though I edited my post in bold to say I would not honor further invite requests. Should I interpret this as:

1. It was removed because it contained a referral request (and the mod didn't see / didn't care that I edited my post)
2. We do not allow posts without prices (it certainly fit in that category)
3. Deniath posts are no bueno, period, mostly because people can't see the posts without a referral and we can't offer referrals.

What do you guys think? If the mod could weigh in, that would be helpful (this is for science... I have no intention of arguing with a mod).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gawain wrote:
And why do you take the "it's $X cheaper here" posts so personal? Isn't it a good thing that an even better deal is brought to light? I missed the "Hot Deal" in your post btw

The way it's usually presented is "this is not a hot deal, it's $1 less on WebsiteVeteransKnowAboutButNewbsDont.Com", leading to the impression that I posted in error and shouldn't have posted. Posting something along the lines of "hey, I found it on Amazon for $1 less" is fine, clearly that's helpful to everyone. Many posts have replies from here to the floor about how the OP shouldn't have posted the deal and that's not cool, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andersonimes wrote:
I'll take a first pass at this. You guys tell me what you think. If it looks ok, I'll edit my original post to include this with the intent that I will make this a pinnable thread.

A Hot Deal posting HAS:
1. A price
2. A Region in the subject line ([US], [Europe], [Global], [Kansas City, MO, USA], etc.)

1. From a dealer
2. An auction or from an auction site
3. Spam
4. Contain a referral link / Request of any kind

Note I have left out coupons for now, as they seem to be implicitly accepted.

I'd like to say something about replies here, since it's the thing I take the most issue with, but perhaps having this to point to would help regardless of trying to engineer the social interactions.

Also: my Deniath post was removed by the mods even though I edited my post in bold to say I would not honor further invite requests. Should I interpret this as:

1. It was removed because it contained a referral request (and the mod didn't see / didn't care that I edited my post)
3. Deniath posts are no bueno, period, mostly because people can't see the posts without a referral and we can't offer referrals.

What do you guys think? If the mod could weigh in, that would be helpful (this is for science... I have no intention of arguing with a mod).

I think this looks good.

If you want my opinion, I would say the IS NOT list should include any deal that is on a "Members Only" site.

Curious if others feel the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jatoha wrote:

If you want my opinion, I would say the IS NOT list should include any deal that is on a "Members Only" site.

Curious if others feel the same...

That would make the Deniath issue more clear. If you guys feel that way about Deniath, that'd be a good rule and would keep posters out of hot water. I think there is one other site that offers this kind of thing? I know Tanga has some sort of system like this too, although it's alongside their regular offerings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anderson,

I am subscribed to the hot deals section and my biggest frustrations are not the replies, but rather the OPs.

Too many lukewarm or even cold deals. This I can live with, I mean, it's just human error, but obviously I'd prefer it wasn't there.

However:

Deals that have nothing to do with board games. I can see how material to PnP is legit, but posts for DVDs or some other junk that is supposed to qualify because we're all "geeks" is ridiculous. We don't even collectively agree about board games and that's the point of the site! Why on Earth would we agree about movies or television shows?

Too many pithy subject lines. Seriously, is it that hard to say where the deal applies to? I hate clicking on a link, excited about a good deal, only to find out that it isn't a good deal for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andersonimes wrote:

So, is the whole no Deniath post thing because the referrals can get the user a credit that is worth money, and therefore the post is self-promotion, self-serving, etc? Or is it for another reason?

I guess I don't see the problem with posting Deniath deals. Part of this is because prior to reading about Deniath in this forum, I had never heard of Deniath and even if I had I wouldn't have known anyone to request an invite from anyway. Know I do and those deals have become available to me precisely because of this forum. The guy who gave me the invite might "profit" (if I ever decide to buy a game from them, though to date the prices and selection haven't tempted me to do so) but what do I care? It's no skin off my back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Huntsville
AL
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to post an eBay fixed price sale a few weeks ago and it got removed; he was selling several copies of Fresco for $19.99. I think deals like this (fixed price, multiple copies) at auction sites should be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
chearns wrote:
Deals that have nothing to do with board games. I can see how material to PnP is legit, but posts for DVDs or some other junk that is supposed to qualify because we're all "geeks" is ridiculous.

Agreed. I'll add this.

An exception (for me) is board game related iOS / Computer / Android / Electronic Platform Du Jour posts. I kinda like those. What say you, Hot Dealers? Is a region tag of [iOS] or [Android] ok, or are these posts right out?

chearns wrote:
Seriously, is it that hard to say where the deal applies to? I hate clicking on a link, excited about a good deal, only to find out that it isn't a good deal for me.

I added the region tag. I'll also add "descriptive subject line". Hopefully you Canucks can get some better love in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n8meyer wrote:
andersonimes wrote:

So, is the whole no Deniath post thing because the referrals can get the user a credit that is worth money, and therefore the post is self-promotion, self-serving, etc? Or is it for another reason?

I guess I don't see the problem with posting Deniath deals. Part of this is because prior to reading about Deniath in this forum, I had never heard of Deniath and even if I had I wouldn't have known anyone to request an invite from anyway. Know I do and those deals have become available to me precisely because of this forum. The guy who gave me the invite might "profit" (if I ever decide to buy a game from them, though to date the prices and selection haven't tempted me to do so) but what do I care? It's no skin off my back.

Well remember you can just apply for membership on deniath (though it may be a little slower). So it may be best to focus on that and not mention the referrals at all.
So then the only question is whether members-only stuff should be allowed at all.
I agree that I found out about deniath here, but generally the deals have not been that good mostly due to the shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
snoweel wrote:
I tried to post an eBay fixed price sale a few weeks ago and it got removed; he was selling several copies of Fresco for $19.99. I think deals like this (fixed price, multiple copies) at auction sites should be allowed.

I sort of agree. Since it's a BIN price, it's not really an auction. HOWEVER, some of the opposition to these sites is the sites themselves or the purchase from an individual, rather than a business. I think Hot Deals just wants to make a distinction on that is all.

Perhaps there should be another forum for interesting auctions for those ok with eBay, eBid, etc. Does GeekBay allow this? The description seems to indicate it's limited to BGG auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andersonimes wrote:
I added the region tag. I'll also add "descriptive subject line". Hopefully you Canucks can get some better love in here.

To be fair, the region is enough for me.

Oh, and if App links are going to be here, they should list the hardware needed in the subject line.

I'm not a fan of their presence, but if they are board game apps, then I get it (it's like a deal that's only available to certain region of the planet, except it's only available to people who own certain pieces of technology). However, other apps have appeared here and, once again, that's all kinds of annoying. I don't own an Android or an iX, nor do most of the users of this site, so posting non-board game related apps is, once again, ridiculous on a site about board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.