Popular Tags: [View All]
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
chearns wrote:
I'm not a fan of their presence, but if they are board game apps, then I get it (it's like a deal that's only available to certain region of the planet, except it's only available to people who own certain pieces of technology). However, other apps have appeared here and, once again, that's all kinds of annoying. I don't own an Android or an iX, nor do most of the users of this site, so posting non-board game related apps is, once again, ridiculous on a site about board games.

Agreed. I added that to the "Region" rule. Tagging it with [iOS/Android/PC/Mac] seems ok to me. At least you can visually ignore those.

The rule I have right now is "board game related", so that's how I hope the electronic board games will be intepreted. What about other stuff? Settlers of Catan t-shirts on sale for a $1. Hot Deal or no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that nobody is mentioning referral codes that occur within the deal link.

For example, if I post a deal on amazon, but include my referral code within the URL, is that bad?

Note that I don't actually use my amazon referral code, since North Carolina state government and Amazon apparently aren't on speaking terms at the moment.

This is a "Why is person A bad for getting a kickback, while Person B is potentially ok?" question. Is is just that the deniath-type sites are gated communities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
tensider wrote:
This is a "Why is person A bad for getting a kickback, while Person B is potentially ok?" question. Is is just that the deniath-type sites are gated communities?

I think it's the perception. I posted the Deniath thing because I wanted people to know about the FFG sale, but the perception would be that I'm spamming to get referrals, even though that's not true (I edited my post and have denied requests since folks complained).

It's too hard to distinguish if a person has motivation to post a good deal for the good of the community or motivation for themselves. It seems like we might be ok with missing out on the occasional deal if the motivations of the original poster are unclear (much like a game of Battlestar Galactica, you might say). Keeping referrals out of the picture ensures this is pure altruism. I'm ok with it, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tensider wrote:
I've noticed that nobody is mentioning referral codes that occur within the deal link.

For example, if I post a deal on amazon, but include my referral code within the URL, is that bad?

Note that I don't actually use my amazon referral code, since North Carolina state government and Amazon apparently aren't on speaking terms at the moment.

Yes referral codes are bad. The only one that should be there is referral to BGG if that still exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tensider wrote:

But as an earlier poster pointed out, the Deniath "gate" is open to anyone who requests an invite from the site itself and is willing to wait. So in effect it's not a "gated community" at all. (I guess it has the appearance of a gate to make its grass seem greener.) So now I'm even more confused as to why Deniath is forbidden from this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
tensider wrote:

Yes referral codes are bad. The only one that should be there is referral to BGG if that still exists.

Okay, but why is that? I mean if i get a copy of BSG for $20 shipped and you get $10 in credit aren't we both happy and hasn't the forum fulfilled its purpose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele B
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would rather have too much info on here than too little. I agree that it would be nice to be able to tell by the subject line what the deal is and what country the deal is for. As long as posters decide to do that then those of us who do not want to hear about deniath or ebay fixed prices can just ignore those deals. I for one would have liked to have known about Fresco being $19.99 BIN on ebay and although deniath hasn't had any tempting deals for me yet, I still like knowing about what they have available as one day they might have a good deal for me.

So if rules are going to be created for this forum, I hope that the rules will be inclusive allowing members-only sites and ebay fixed prices to be permitted. I think its better to have deals posted that people can ignore than to not have them posted at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the issues people have with supposed hot deals is posters not doing their research. There aren't really that many bargain board game stores out there, so it doesn't take more than a few minutes to compare the prices. If you find the same price at multiple places, it's probably not a hot deal.

Not sure what the list should be, but some suggestions: Amazon, Boards & Bits, CoolStuffInc, Boardgame Revolution, FairPlayGames.

Now that I'm thinking about it, BoardGamePrices.com will actually do a price comparison against a bunch of websites. Seems like that should be a minimum requirement for price comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
n8meyer wrote:
But as an earlier poster pointed out, the Deniath "gate" is open to anyone who requests an invite from the site itself and is willing to wait. So in effect it's not a "gated community" at all. (I guess it has the appearance of a gate to make its grass seem greener.) So now I'm even more confused as to why Deniath is forbidden from this forum.

Perhaps it's because the poster CAN get referrals from folks who are impatient. I think the blanket statement people are trying to get across in these is that it is (again) pure altruistic information sharing. It's possible that kickbacks might lead to a slippery slope of watered down deals that only (mostly) benefit the poster. I think I'm capable of posting a Deniath deal without looking for referrals, but I wouldn't say that's true of everyone.

Not saying I 100% agree, it just seems like a large portion of the Hot Deals forum believes this (including at least one mod... making it a rule I don't think we can adjudicate, really).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
n8meyer wrote:
Okay, but why is that? I mean if i get a copy of BSG for $20 shipped and you get $10 in credit aren't we both happy and hasn't the forum fulfilled its purpose?

No. When people have a financial incentive to post "deals" that's when the spam begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
utahBGG wrote:
One of the issues people have with supposed hot deals is posters not doing their research. There aren't really that many bargain board game stores out there, so it doesn't take more than a few minutes to compare the prices. If you find the same price at multiple places, it's probably not a hot deal.

Not sure what the list should be, but some suggestions: Amazon, Boards & Bits, CoolStuffInc, Boardgame Revolution, FairPlayGames.

Now that I'm thinking about it, BoardGamePrices.com will actually do a price comparison against a bunch of websites. Seems like that should be a minimum requirement for price comparison.

Good point. This hasn't been addressed directly. I won't put it as a rule yet, but I will add this as a suggestion in the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jadseah4 wrote:
I hope that the rules will be inclusive allowing members-only sites and ebay fixed prices to be permitted.

eBay's also got their Daily Deal with large quantities, so I definitely agree that multiple quantity fixed price listings should be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm seeing a lot of posts about auction site fixed-price bids being allowed. Dissenters?

My only caution with these websites is the mixed bag of customer service provided, but that's a "buyer beware, YMMV" kind of thing and doesn't make it not a Hot Deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
A Gren Fox in lieu of Miss Turtle Artist's fox
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I was going to say that I don't mind referral links as long as people are transparent about it.

But then I read this:

damiangerous wrote:
No. When people have a financial incentive to post "deals" that's when the spam begins.

And, this is completely right. People would abuse it if referrals were allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
A Gren Fox in lieu of Miss Turtle Artist's fox
mbmbmbmbmb
andersonimes wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of posts about auction site fixed-price bids being allowed. Dissenters?

My only caution with these websites is the mixed bag of customer service provided, but that's a "buyer beware, YMMV" kind of thing and doesn't make it not a Hot Deal.

I've seen Craigslist deals posted, to me the Fixed price auction is similar.

Also, one more thing, I think if there is to be a pinned thread, it should suggest that people do a quick search to see if the deal has been posted before.

I really don't mind an occasional re-post, however, I know it gets annoying if the same thing is posted many many times. I think this happened around Christmas last year and it was a bit much.

Hopefully, if people make their subject lines more clear, it should be easy to do a quick search to see if it's been posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
You know, I was going to say that I don't mind referral links as long as people are transparent about it.

But then I read this:

damiangerous wrote:

And, this is completely right. People would abuse it if referrals were allowed.

This is actually the danger with eBay fixed price auctions as well. However, in the case of spammers, I'm pretty sure people commenting on the thread would point out if the seller had 0 or -2 feedback or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
If a deal is posted and it is within a few bucks of what you can regularly find the item for at any common OLGS, then i don't consider it much of a deal. Before I post a deal, I'll check the usual suspects at:

http://www.boardgamesearch.com

I generally make large purchases, so if an OLGS doesn't offer free/reduced shipping, what may be a deal for some people may not be considered a deal for me. for example, it is a rare day when I find a deal on amazon.

With regard to deniath, i'm surprised it received as much support as it initially did. I would have guessed that an invite-only storefront wouldn't be well received by the BGG community. Apparently it works for some, I'm just not counted among that number.

What frustrates me most about the hot deals forum is the apparent lack of due diligence exhibited by some of its contributors. It doesn't take much effort to click through a few pages of recent posts to see if a deal has been mentioned in the last week or so. It also only takes a few seconds to compare the deal price to the going rate at the top tier OLGSs.

I can appreciate wanting to share a "deal" with the community, I just wish more people would examine that deal more closely to see if it is really worth posting in the "hot deals" forum.

I also wouldn't consider the majority of commenters as "hassling" anyone. This is a pretty friendly community. Just because someone disagrees about the "hotness" of a deal and replies with a matter-of-fact post stating that an item can be found for the same price or slightly cheaper somewhere else doesn't mean there is malice in the post. It is often just more convenient to be brief in a reply than to wax poetic, it is the nature of Internet forums in general. Part of what makes this community great is its diversity of opinions and perspectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
n8meyer wrote:

Okay that makes sense. To me it seems like spammers will spam regardless of a forum's rules, but the relatively small amount of spam that gets posted to this forum seems to be strong evidence that my assumption is wrong. Furthermore, I guess if regular contributors to the forum start posting "spamish" (or is it spammy?) deals, then I guess it would make it even harder to justify deleting a bona fide spammer's posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
n8meyer wrote:

So I tried to go to Deniath and check out their deals, and I can't do it without being a member. I think deals in the Hot Deals section that I can't even verify or get access to (let's face it, the deals are for 72 hours, a lengthy wait to get membership means I would likely miss the deal) isn't much of a deal at all, it's just spam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
chearns wrote:
So I tried to go to Deniath and check out their deals, and I can't do it without being a member. I think deals in the Hot Deals section that I can't even verify or get access to (let's face it, the deals are for 72 hours, a lengthy wait to get membership means I would likely miss the deal) isn't much of a deal at all, it's just spam.

Agreed. This is why I felt I needed to post the "send me a GeekMail for an invite". This violates the "no referrals" rule, though, so I think we need to let the "Members-Only sites are not allowed" rule to stand. Again, we might miss out on some deals, but it'll keep with our goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:
Just because someone disagrees about the "hotness" of a deal and replies with a matter-of-fact post stating that an item can be found for the same price or slightly cheaper somewhere else doesn't mean there is malice in the post.

Some replies are this way. Others go way beyond frank and insinuate the poster has done something wrong. These rules are designed to give the OP some indication that they followed the rules. They aren't meant to protect anyone from hurt feelings. The thin-skinned are not compatible with forums on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chearns wrote:
n8meyer wrote:

Then you would have the membership for next time. The wait is not particularly long though. I requested a Deniath invite for a specific deal and had no problem getting it.

It's fairly common on generic deal sites for people to post deals at places like Sam's Club or Costco, which actually have a membership fee. Or to post deals that require mailing in rebates. The deals are there and they're valid, it's just up to you to decide if what's required to claim them is worth it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
chearns wrote:

It may not be a deal to you, but it may be a deal to people on BGG that "are" members. It's still a deal, even if it's not a deal to "you". And no, that is not SPAM.

SO next time you read the topic Deniath, you can say to yourself. Hey, I am not a member, so this isn't a deal for me, I'll just skip reading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hoover
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
chearns wrote:

It may not be a deal to you, but it may be a deal to people on BGG that "are" members. It's still a deal, even if it's not a deal to "you". And no, that is not SPAM.

SO next time you read the topic Deniath, you can say to yourself. Hey, I am not a member, so this isn't a deal for me, I'll just skip reading it.

Deal is a subjective term. Unless we want to take this thread one step further and define once and for all what a deal is, then define what a "hot deal" is, and then forbid anyone from posting anything not meeting the definition.

Just because it is a deal to you does not make it a deal. Or just because 1 person (or a billion) think it is a deal, does not make it a deal for/to me.

But I agree, a concrete Deniath deal with items and prices is not spam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
MWChapel,

are you telling me that Deniath doesn't email it's members to tell them about their deals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.