Popular Tags: [View All]
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I don't play Dust Tactics, but I'm often the one adding new expansions to the BGG database, so I wanted to ask those who know what makes the most sense for a naming convention, both for what's already in the database and items to be added later.

Look at Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad, for example. On BGG, the item has the title listed above; on FFG, the expansion is labeled "Dust Tactics: BBQ Squad"; on the box, both names are listed in separate locations. With that in mind, what would be the preferred name for this expansion on BGG? How do you search for expansions? How do you refer to them in session reports and during play? With that in mind, please complete the following survey, choosing as many names as you feel are appropriate. Thanks!

Poll
How should expansions for Dust Tactics be listed on BGG?
Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad
Dust Tactics: BBQ Squad
Dust Tactics: "BBQ Squad"
Dust Tactics: BBQ Squad - Assault Rangers Squad
Dust Tactics: "BBQ Squad" - Assault Rangers Squad
Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad - BBQ Squad
Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad - "BBQ Squad"
      39 answers
Poll created by W Eric Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i actually had to think about this one . everyone refers to them as the BBQ squad , but i have run into a isuue with ordrering dust units from my FLGS , in that despite what we all call them , despite what even the game company calls them , the ordering forms and some trade mags refer to the units differently , so i have to go a little farther to make sure i am preordering/ordering the right items .

my FLGS owner and i were talking one day about inventory choices vs size of a retail location . and he said he has access to aboutt half a million items in all the catalogs and lines and game company websites to choose from , there is alot of companies and pproducts fighting for a small amount of shelf space in every game store .

for alot of players , this site may be the first time a gamer actually sees a game , and their best chance to learn something about it . in fact , i am probably the most gung ho DT player ATM , and i only learnt of the game because i stumbled across it here .

so while just "BBQ squad" SHOULD be enough , putting it all in the listing with the company ascribed slang name in quotation marks makes it more likly that new players can find and order the units from their favorite retailer , and get the right items they wanted .

and let me say , thanks for asking , as it is an important issue .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be of interest to note that in the squad's stat card it goes:

"BBQ Squad"
Assault Rangers Squad

So the nickname is very prominent, and always comes first, both in the card as in the box. But the technical nomenclature is also of importance, and should follow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the use of good families can sort issues out as well - families such as Dust Tactics (all releases), Dust Tactics Normal (sic), Dust Tactics Deluxe etc. might help with searches, subscriptions and so forth.

Not that it necessarily helps with naming issues per se.

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using database/object defintions:

"Dust Tactics" is the root (parent) node.
"Assault Rangers Squad" are a subgroup of "Dust Tactics"
"BBQ Squad" is a specialty version of "Assault Rangers Squad"

So my personal preference is the last version. I would like to see all "Assault Rangers Squad"s grouped together with their specialization listed last.

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob has an excellent point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robkoch2112 wrote:
Using database/object defintions:

"Dust Tactics" is the root (parent) node.
"Assault Rangers Squad" are a subgroup of "Dust Tactics"
"BBQ Squad" is a specialty version of "Assault Rangers Squad"

So my personal preference is the last version. I would like to see all "Assault Rangers Squad"s grouped together with their specialization listed last.

-Rob

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
robkoch2112 wrote:

Does more than one "Assault Rangers Squad" exist now? If not, will there likely be one in the future? (I skimmed over the list of expansions to look for such things, but each expansion seems to have a unique nickname as well as a unique description/classification.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Zamfirescu
msg tools
Hi Eric,

the answer is no. And there never will be. If we should make another squad with similar weaponry or skills, it would have a complete different name anyway.

Cheers,

Olivier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blush I never looked deeply at expansions (I just buy the things whistle). If there is not going to be another "Assault Rangers Squad" then using the format of:

Dust Tactics: "BBQ Squad" - Assault Rangers Squad

over

Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad - "BBQ Squad"

would be preferred since that is how FFG lists them (and it follows the card definition that Thiago pointed out above). If FFG ever released another Assault Rangers Squad then it might be confusing.

-Rob

Edit: Oliver answered before I posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Thanks for the note, Olivier! As the co-designer, do you have a preference for how expansions should be named on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Zamfirescu
msg tools
I don't really. I think the shortest is always the better. So I'd use the "nickname": "BBQ SQUAD".

Cheers,

Olivier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian van Loenen
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a few versions for the premium edition lately. I mainly kept the existing names, but when the premium edition splits it in separate products (for example the medium walkers) I used method 2. But I actually want to see all DT products using the same naming convention.

I assume there is still no consensus on the proper/preferred naming, is it? If there is I would be happy to start entering the requests for the name changes.

I now would prefer the last method: Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad - "BBQ Squad".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
kaosmagix wrote:
I assume there is still no consensus on the proper/preferred naming, is it? If there is I would be happy to start entering the requests for the name changes.

I now would prefer the last method: Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad - "BBQ Squad".

If you look at the poll results now, you see that Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad - "BBQ Squad" and Dust Tactics: "BBQ Squad" - Assault Rangers Squad are evenly split. I don't think was the case a month after I created the poll, which is why all the games use the latter format. That was what carried the day at the time, so that's how I've been entering the new expansions.

In retrospect, I think the method you propose – Dust Tactics: Assault Rangers Squad - "BBQ Squad" – is more readable and sensible than the other version, since the order goes from least to most specific. Also, this format matches better with names like Dust Tactics: Operation "SeeLöwe!" and Dust Tactics: Unit Card Upgrade Pack that don't have nicknames. Again, readability of the name is improved that way.

If you're up for submitting name changes for all the expansions in the database – and adding nicknames for expansions that don't already have them – I say go for it. I'll approve them when I see them show up in the queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.