Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group always has at least six players. I’d like to get the older Ravensburger but it is spendy and hard to find.

With 6 players is the newer version as good as the older version?

Is removing a 2 or 3 card from the decks a good way to put the tension back into the newer verison? I’ve read that it is too easy to complete the races on the new track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The old version is definitely better. Each board had a double path, so you got 4 "good" tracks instead of the recent 2 "bad" tracks. I uploaded first files with home-made versions of the original tracks, and later cropped scans, so if you search for them in the files folder you can buy the new version and print those files.

... Or check the copy I have for trade! A pity that we are not on the same side of the ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the newer version, which I like well enough. But it is a fairly simple game, and I don't know that it has that much replayability.

I recently played Snow Tails, and I think it qualifies as the rightful heir of Ave Caesar, it's a bit longer and more involved, and only play 5 people, but I think it is a lot more interesting, so you might consider that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Dordas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the new Top Race from Pegasus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schunk
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Miguel's opinion. The old version is better, it looks prettier (not so overladen with stuff), there are more tracks available and also, the game is more cutthroat due to the fact that there is higher chance of running out of cards before you can make it to the finish line and that makes it more interesting IMHO.

Go for the old version.

H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I recently played Snow Tails, and I think it qualifies as the rightful heir of Ave Caesar, it's a bit longer and more involved, and only play 5 people...

I would have it already if it could handle 6 players! We are always 6 when we play Ave Caesar, so I did not even consider Snow Tails because of that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm thinking about Snow Tails. However, I also often have six players but that does look like an interesting race game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel van Peenen
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the fun of Ave Caesar comes more from blocking other players and forcing the players to bypass Caesar.
The fact that someone might not make it to the finish is a nice bonus, but I don't think that should be a reason not to get the newer version.
If it's possible to get the older version for a nice price you should do that but the newer version is also very good.

If you definitely want a 6 player race game you could also check out the following games:

Powerboats; This is my favorite race game. It has less opportunities to block your fellow players but I like the movement mechanism with the 3-sided dice.

Formel Fun; This is also a favorite in our gaming group, the only problem is that this game is out of print so it may me a little hard to get.
Here is the description from the game page: "In this clever racing game, cars move around a 30-space track on which the spaces are numbered from 1 to 10, then 1 to 10 again, then 1 to 10 for a third time. The cards have different powers depending on which number your car is sitting on. For instance, a card might move you 8 spaces if you're sitting on an 8, but only 3 spaces otherwise. Cards go in and out of your hand at a rapid rate as you play and discard your way through a series of races, and card management skills will come in handy if you've got them. Each race goes by quite quickly, but the game consists of a whole series of races -- 11 if you play with the full complement of 3 cars each for 4 players or 2 cars each for 6 -- the gimmick being that, at the end of each race, the car that came in last is removed from the game, and the next race has one fewer starters -- and so on until the game is down to the last two cars and the last race for the ultimate victory."

That's Life!; The track of this roll and move game is made of cards with number values from -10 to +8 and a clover cards, With the clover cards a negative card becomes a positive card. The last piece to leave each card (each player has several pieces) must take the card. In the end, the player with most points (or least negative points) wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carrotteer wrote:
To me the fun of Ave Caesar comes more from blocking other players and forcing the players to bypass Caesar.
The fact that someone might not make it to the finish is a nice bonus, but I don't think that should be a reason not to get the newer version.
If it's possible to get the older version for a nice price you should do that but the newer version is also very good.
Quoted for Truth!

Ave Caesar is about blocking people, and forcing them to miss Emperor's Alley or forcing them round the outside so they waste movement points... although Snow Tails (which has also been mentioned) is an excellent game, it does not have any of this blocking feeling... it's much more about getting your own movement right, particularly the cornering etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel van Peenen
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
Snow Tails (which has also been mentioned) is an excellent game, it does not have any of this blocking feeling... it's much more about getting your own movement right, particularly the cornering etc.

Yes, you are right.
Also Ave Caesar and the other games I mentioned are lighter games compared to Snow tails, at least that is how I feel about it. Snow Tails feels more mathy and the players may take longer to complete their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened was: the Pro Ludo version has more spaces on the tracks, which they tried to compensate for by having more cards, which of course neatly wrecked the game. The underlying problem was failure to understand the original.

DYO/DIY first edition:-

The board = Geek
The cards = cheap playing cards in Ultra Pro
The miniatures = Outpost Miniatures accurate "racing shell" 4-horse chariot in 15mm for £1.90
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this post is a bit old, but I noticed that no one answered the original question (or at least a part of it). I recently acquired the Asmodee edition (after looking high & low for a reasonably-priced/trade Ravensburger copy) and I'm also wondering if maybe removing a card or two from each player's deck will increase the difficulty. Has anyone tried this?

I did a quick count of best & worst possible 3 lap races (including paying tribute to Caesar) for both the short and long track, with your cards equaling a total of 84:

Short track 76 best (+8) / 87 worst (-3)
Long track 77 best (+7) / 93 worst (-9)

So I feel like you could get away with one less card on the short track, but you would probably be screwed on the long track if you had to get rid of a 5 or 6.

Anyone tried this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a six-person game last weekend, I wouldn't recommend removing any cards from either the short or long track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Lundquist
Sweden
Hässelby
flag msg tools
mbmb
One can find it sometimes in thrift stores in Sweden, the Ravensburger edition, language independent... If someone wants I can keep an eye out for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.