$10.00
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alastor - great homesystem defense or offense weapon?

What do you think is the best use for it if any.

With all expansion strategy cards it makes very difficult to invade your homesystem (or any system you are protecting with it) with one player.
Basically it guarantees that you need at least 2 attacks to capture it. Probably still need some fighters and destroyers so it's not as tempting to blow it up only with one destroyer.
As offensive weapon is it too dangerous? Using sustain damage is such a gamble if you have any hope of winning the battle.

What do you think if you play Nekro - are you building it at all and if you do what you expect it to be used for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
who cares
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
garfielder wrote:

What do you think is the best use for it if any.

With all expansion strategy cards it makes very difficult to invade your homesystem (or any system you are protecting with it) with one player.
Basically it guarantees that you need at least 2 attacks to capture it. Probably still need some fighters and destroyers so it's not as tempting to blow it up only with one destroyer.
As offensive weapon is it too dangerous? Using sustain damage is such a gamble if you have any hope of winning the battle.

What do you think if you play Nekro - are you building it at all and if you do what you expect it to be used for?

I'm going for offensive weapon myself. Let my opponents worry about the ship. If it goes boom, I could always make a new one later in the game. Having it blow up when you're not prepared in the defensive lines, could be catastrophic.

And I'll probably not keep that thing in my HS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could serve potent offensive and defensive roles. Its combat rating is low, but it gets three shots, so it's not going to be that easy to kill with a small force. You could send it off alone to menace or clear out a heavily guarded system or park it in a resource-rich system for defense (I might not leave it in a system with a Space Dock, though — an opponent could attack right after you build; one Direct Hit card and all your new stuff is gone). It'd be a good move to occupy an opponent's home system or Mecatol Rex with it, I think. I don't think I'd ever keep it with much of a fleet; it's not much use for invasions and it's too risky for space battles.

Sending a low-cost unit in against it in hopes of triggering its doomsday device would be risky, and in any case would burn up an activation for the player making the attack. If an opponent wants to take a Nekro system guarded by the Alastor without risking a big fleet loss they'd need to activate it twice, and CCs aren't that plentiful (unless you're Nekro!) A lot of its usefulness as a deterrent could disappear in the face of Advanced Fighters unless it has a Destroyer or two along, and it could be vulnerable to a temporary alliance between players for the purpose of killing it — one player sends in a ship to kill it with a Direct Hit, the other swoops in to conquer the system, that sort of thing. The Yin could take it out pretty easily.

Oh, and I don't think I'd put it anywhere near someone with Deep Space Cannon and 2 PDS units in range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dont see how it is possible to play defense with necro. They are designed to add a lot of combat to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
I dont see how it is possible to play defense with necro. They are designed to add a lot of combat to the game.

It's not about playing defense.
When you get enough VP people want to get your homesystem to stop you scoring. In this case having Alastor there stops even double Warsun fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. And having a few fighters and/or PDS at home would give it a shield against potshot attempts. You wanna take the Nekro homeworld? Better bring two fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Exactly. And having a few fighters and/or PDS at home would give it a shield against potshot attempts. You wanna take the Nekro homeworld? Better bring two fleets.

More like, you want to save your homeworld from the Nekro, you better have 2 fleets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
I prefer it as an offensive weapon. Just send it by itself into a system containing an opponent's fleet and watch him try to roll all misses so he can retreat after the first round of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:

More like, you want to save your homeworld from the Nekro, you better have 2 fleets!

Doesn't really work that way. You need to capture planets in home system if you want to stop people scoring.
This way you can blow up their fleet but you won't have anything left to land at the same time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb
I won with the virus this afternoon. I used it both ways. I controll Mextoll, I did NOT have the alastor at mextrol, it was one system away. There was a big fleet adjactent to Mextroll, it was in a tense war with another player and was not coming for me at mextroll, but I was low man in victory points that turn so I was not a threat, HOWEVER I knew that I was scoring my special, (controll 6 tech discount worlds) I had already scored my prelimanary. I was claiming somthing else as well so I was shooting up three points, my oppenents are skilled and pragmatic players so I knew the fleet that was currently not bothering me woudl be a pain, so I used the alastor to crash the big fleet, he thought he was safe cause he was two away and was indicating we was not going to bother me. But I had the warfare high alert on it. (everyone expected to go on my mecatol fleet) After seizing the points lead and killing the biggest threat to my forward position, I rebuilt the alastor in my home world to protect me from the ghosts that opened a wormhole right beside my homeworld after I took the lead. A great game, and I used the alastor both pre-emptive offensively and as a final stand turtling deffence. My point in this long poorly edited story is that its a powerfull and flexible piece which can be used effectivly both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dywnarc wrote:
My point in this long poorly edited story is that its a powerfull and flexible piece which can be used effectivly both ways.

You guys are using tactical retreat option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb
Yes we do. IME most vertren groups are. They have to fight one rond of combat, and it's hard for a big fleet to avoid the kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bestland
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
garfielder wrote:

The only limiting factor to this versatile monstrosity is its movement of one. How do you solve that? Flanking speed. If I ever draw that action card over the course of the game, be sure the next thing I build is the Alastor (if I don't have it on already). Not only can it be used as a deterrent on your border, but as an absurdly powerful surprise attack that can break your enemy before the war even began.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alastor will also be a force to fear if a Nekro player has a Gravity Rift or wormhole anywhere near their starting system. Gravity Drive + Flank Speed on the Alastor would give it a monstrous reach. Even more with Warfare or Warfare II. The Reinforce secondary could also be used to give it a bit of extra distance soon after it's built.

Of course, it could be that no one researches Gravity Drive. But if I were playing Nekro and drew a wormhole or Gravity Rift I'd place it nearby, just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
The Alastor will also be a force to fear if a Nekro player has a Gravity Rift or wormhole anywhere near their starting system. Gravity Drive + Flank Speed on the Alastor would give it a monstrous reach. Even more with Warfare or Warfare II. The Reinforce secondary could also be used to give it a bit of extra distance soon after it's built.

Of course, it could be that no one researches Gravity Drive. But if I were playing Nekro and drew a wormhole or Gravity Rift I'd place it nearby, just in case.

Gravity Drive is an amazing tech, especially for the preset maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I ALWAYS build the Alastor when I'm the Nekro; the "Flying Bomb Flagship" is one of their biggest racial advantages.

As posts here have already amply illustrated, the Alastor does well as both an offensive and a defensive tool, depending upon your current need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.