Thumb up
1 Posts

Antoine Bauza» Forums » General Creator Forum

Subject: Interview for rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 7 [+] interview [+] stories [+] ghost [+] wonders [+] [View All]
Piotr Silka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb (sipio)First of all I want to congratulate a very good 2010 year. You published few interesting games including "7 wonders" which was a huge success on Essen and you became the Designer of the Year. Do You feel that last year was special also for you? Did you expect such a big success of "7 wonders"?

Antoine Bauza: Well, the success of 7 Wonders was special but my the last year was quite usual, in fact ;)
It's alway hard to anticipate the success of the game but 7 Wonders had a tremendous success early along my playtesters, so it's not a big surprise after all.

As you remeber last year Bruno Cathala’s predict your winner as the Designer of the Year. Do you have any types for this year ;-)

My guess is Stefan Feld for 2011 !

There will be soon published "7 wonder leaders". How much it change the basic game? Do You planing any other expansions?

This expansion brings a new type of cards, the Leaders. Those cards are drafted at the very beginning of the game. Each player select 4 cards and will have the opportunity of playing 1 card before each of the 3 ages. Leaders can offer you coins, cost reductions, military support, victory point and some other peculiar effects.
7 wonders Leaders add some long-term strategy into the game and a big amount of replayability too. The game length is quite the same and the rules are very easy.
I am already working on other expansions (and some extra-stuff), yes, but it's a bit soon to tell you something about this matter ;)

What Your games will be published in the nearest future. I read about Ghost Stories: Black Secrets, Takenoko, Witty Pong and Rampage. Especially the last one seems to be very innovative. Could You say more about it?

Witty Pong is already released in fact, but it's a small new publisher and the game is not easy to find outside France...
Black Secret is the second expansion for Ghost Stories. Repos Production and I are currently working hard on this one ! Hopefully, it will be released at the Essen Fair, in October. Takenoko had some trouble with production and its wooden bamboo-shaped bits, but it should arrived soon, to. Rampage is a strange game I made with Ludovic Maublanc (Cash'n'Guns, Dice Town…) : Players are big japanese-movie-monsters, they come to town to destroy and eat everything. Simple, no ? The main feature is the 3D destructible board. It's not easy to describe but you can see a picture on my blog : you will understand the game at once !

I understand that you are one of this lucky mean on earth which can say that game designing is their work. How long does it take You to be a full time designer?

Well, game design is now my main activity, yes, but I have some others activities as well : I am teaching game design in video-game schools and I writing stories for comics and children literature. I started game design around 2004, it took me 3 years to have my first game published and it became a almost-fulltime job in 2009...

Could You say some tips based on You experience for people how are taking their first steps in games designing?

I think you have to make A LOT of designs ! I am alway amazed when a designer came with a first impressive game...
I usually meet people who are working very hard and for a very long time on one unique game prototype. I think game design is about resonance : each game teach you something and help you with the next. The most important, I think, is to feed your brain : play everything (not only boardgames), read, watch, listen…
Don't forget to read some books on the subject (they don't make the games for you but surely teach you some good !) and alway listen and watch carefully the guys around your game. Game design is all about observing and sensing the player experience…

Do you have favorites games from polish authors, or maybe something made a good impression on You last year?

Recently, I enjoyed Pergamon, King of Tokyo, Tikal II, Zombie Dice. Nothing form Poland here, but I must confess I hardly manage to find time to play everything published :(

Thank You very much!!

Interview was posted on polish site about boardgames
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.