Subject: Five Cards In Hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Bate
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start your turn with five cards and choose not to play any, do you just skip your third action (to draw more cards)?

The rules don't seem to deal with the situation. They say you must either take one card or discard one card to take three, but they also say you must never have more than five cards.

Have I missed something in the rules? Are you forced to play at least one card when you start your turn with five?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Porkka
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
According to German rules you do not have play any cards on your turn and you can never have more than five cards in your hand. So, if you have five cards, I guess you have to skip drawing new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bate
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It looks like a problem with the English translation of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bate
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the German rules are as bad as the English translation. They say you must do one of two things when neither might be possible!

The only sensible thing to do seems to be to say that if you have five cards in your hand when you come to the third action (Draw Cards) that you can do nothing in that phase only if you have five cards in your hand and no legal play. You must show your opponents your cards to prove that no legal play exists.

That seems better than saying you must play cards during the first action (Play Cards & Construct Buildings) if you have five cards in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Porkka
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
I guess you can skip your turn altogether - if you want - as the German rules say that you may take three actions (in the right order). And if you take an action, you must be able to do it in a certain way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.