Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edilson Caetano
Brazil
São Bernardo do Campo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This wonder look like so powerfull as our first 7 Wonders Game.

Some questions surroeund our group here:

SIDE A
Mausoleum give to his owner after the second part is constructed the power to get any discarded cart and build it for free.

May I discard for 3 coins, after that take that discarded card and build for free? (sounds like a combo).

SIDE B
Same as side A, but all parts of wonder provide the power.
Side B means for each part constructed, May I get one card per part constructed? So if I have the 3 parts of wonder constructed I can get 3 cards from discard pile and build for free?

Thank you
Edilson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the power say "Build now a discarded card for free", that is:
Immediately when you complete the Wonder Stage, you look through the discarded cards (from the center of the table, which should have at least 3 cards in Age 2, and at least 6 cards in Age 3), and you pick one of them to build now, before the next card picking round begins.

edilsoncs wrote:

May I discard for 3 coins, after that take that discarded card and build for free? (sounds like a combo).

You could discard a card for 3 coins, sure. And in a later round, specifically in a round you complete the Wonder Stage, take that card and build it for free. I guess you could call it a combo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edilsoncs wrote:

That's definitely a possibility. You could "hide" a card you can't pay for now in the discards (get 3 coins for it), and then later complete that level of the Wonder, get the card back, and build it.

This might work really well if you're going with Science as your main point-scoring category, if you can get one more symbol for a set.

Remember that even the free-build card can't already be built (face-up) in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
edilsoncs wrote:

Yes, just not on one turn. If you are discarding cards for money with Mausoleum, it's likely you are not playing optimally. if you are discarding a card with the intention of getting it later, then that is probably not the best use of the power, since you are effectively losing a turn.

It's better to fully utilize your other actions, and pick up what's available in the discards. When using the B side, it's best to try and build them in the later ages and especially to use your last action to finish the wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spiro G
Croatia
Split
Dalmatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's like Tim said - you could do it, but that does not mean that you should

Even if you trashed a monster card, say palace or high scoring guild, and dug it out later on, you have effectively halved it's points (+1pt for 3 coins) since you wasted 2 turns to play it.

I guess one can find an example where it is decent play, but in general - avoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Cabellon
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edilsoncs wrote:
SIDE B
Side B means for each part constructed, May I get one card per part constructed? So if I have the 3 parts of wonder constructed I can get 3 cards from discard pile and build for free?

Yes. For each stage of the Mausoleum B side, you may pick up a card from the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
derekjcabellon wrote:
edilsoncs wrote:
SIDE B

Yes. For each stage of the Mausoleum B side, you may pick up a card from the discard pile.

And, in case there's any confusion, you get each one when you build that stage, so you only get three throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Martindale
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only person that hates this wonder?

I've played this wonder several times and I killed the other players.
After seeing this one played a dozen times, I'm floored when someone doesn't win with it. I keep my mouth shut but it's hard. If you can hold off till the last round you can rake in the points.

Maybe it's just me and no one is looking out for me when I have this one.

Weird

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle W.
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Now appearing in Jurassic World! (Not really)
badge
How Me Grimlock get geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird wrote:
Am I the only person that hates this wonder?

I've played this wonder several times and I killed the other players.
After seeing this one played a dozen times, I'm floored when someone doesn't win with it. I keep my mouth shut but it's hard. If you can hold off till the last round you can rake in the points.

Maybe it's just me and no one is looking out for me when I have this one.

Weird
I've only seen Mausoleum B in action a couple times, and while it can sometimes pull some very useful stuff late in the game, it has never seemed significantly more powerful than any of the others.

The ability is somewhat self-balancing because if you wait until the end you're effectively trading in an Age III card for an Age II card. You might get lucky and find the specific green card needed to complete a set of symbols, or you might get a red card that gives you just enough of an edge over your neighbor(s) to get the military bonus, but when you compare that gain to what you could have gained by playing the III card for what it was instead of burying it to build your wonder stage, you likely haven't increased it by more than a couple points, if any.

Of course, if your opponents weren't paying attention and discarded some of the really high-value cards (Palace, etc.) for coins early in AgeIII it's their loss and your gain - but you really can't blame the Mausoleum for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding this wonder... just found the problem last night when playing with 3 players.
My friend played Halicarnassus side B (which each stage of wonder gives you the benefit to choose 1 discard card. So this will give you 3 discard card when all stage is complete. But the case is, what if you build the stage 1 and gain the benefit, the card from discarded pile is played to build the 2nd stage, and so on until you complete all the stage wonder and in the end get 1 card for free to build or sell. Is it a valid move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, the card pulled from the discard may only be built for its building (for free). It may not be used to build your wonder or discarded for three coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.