Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

1. It depends on what they like - if I was trying to be obnoxious it would be their least best match, so Monopoly: Powerpuff Girls would do most people

It's gotta be better than regular monopoly, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You wanted recommendations of games, here are mine, some small games, small in size, but I think that great in substance.
I will also try to avoid the typical gaming mechanic to obtain resources or Area Control/Influence Area, which of those already there are many.

I'm not going to argue my choices with brainy analysis, my choices are made with this criterion "small, affordable, entertaining and fun"

blank Palastgeflüster, care if the kids are sleeping, laughter can be very shocking.

blank Hab & Gut, a different mechanism, because you have to share resources with other players, in this recalls the 7 Wonders.

blank Lobo, a mechanic apparently similar to Carcassonne, the tiles are 2-sided, here things change, also has a spectacular illustrations, small sheep kissing!

blank Felix: The Cat in the Sack, at first glance may seem childish, but if your group likes the bluffing, is a good game

blank Cliffhanger simply addictive, the illustrations of goats characterized Matrix, are priceless!

blank Bison, this is Area Control / Influence Area, but with modular board, I think largely unsung for a Kramer's game

These are not language.

and tell me your opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Schlupp wrote:
SamNzed wrote:
Also I was there for the last few posts from Pat Hirtle a former GotW and longtime BGGer who spat the dummy, threw his toys out of the cot, and removed all his photos from BGG and all the posts he could and left.
At the heart of it was he really really cared passionately about the quality of photos here and a lot of the rest of us didn't want high art but recognisable images to aid our appreciation of games.

Sam, I think you're mixing some of the dramas that happened here in recent years. Pat made great photos alright, but as far as I remember he wasn't one of the 'photo nazis'. The reason for leaving had something to do with BGG politics and admin accountability.

Thanks Niels.
Sorry about this. I'll need to edit what I wrote then, this is what I took from it and the the posts I did read from him were about how much effort he put into his photos - but I don't want to mess up history. the other problem is once he left all the posts vanished.

Schlupp wrote:

But ok, back to business. You want more questions? Here you go:
1 Why didn't you rate Monopoly? You want to tell us you never played it?

I've never liked Monopoly. I do like Cluedo (Clue). I think Monopoly gets a little much attention, and if i do rate it I have to acknowledge it's higher than I want to rate it.

Schlupp wrote:

2 What's your favourite (Belgian) food/beer?

There is a very nice sausage/salami I tried. can't tell you what it's called but I think it's Belgian.

Schlupp wrote:

3 If you would go to Essen, which booth would be a must-go for you? How long would you queue for one Dominion promo card?

I hate queueing but if the vibe was good and the peeps great to talk to... an hour maybe.

Schlupp wrote:

4 Which is your favourite role in Junta?

President or Admiral.

Schlupp wrote:

5 Will you get 1989? Is the chance of us playing a game of 1989 together on wargameroom.com higher than 60%?

I hadn't even noticed that game! I doubt I'll go out of my way as I need to get Twilight Struggle played. I brought it out tonight ... no go. And possibly yes. It'll be hard with the timezones i'd say.

Schlupp wrote:
6 How many languages do you speak? Which will be the next language you'll learn?

I did 5 years of French (from age 10 to 14) and 1.5 years German and I can't speak either. Sadly it's not my thing.

Schlupp wrote:

And final question: how can BGG improve?

Um better search engine, better mobile interface. Return to Geekdo. More play by Forum (I'm thinking I may have to do this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tahanet09 wrote:
Congratulations, Sam! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Sorry I missed this earlier, but I don't have a lot of time to browse the Geek these days. cry

You saying I'm nice is more of a mirror back as far as I'm concerned

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
SamNzed wrote:

1. It depends on what they like - if I was trying to be obnoxious it would be their least best match, so Monopoly: Powerpuff Girls would do most people

Solo online Monopoly is best. It doesn't last long and you can go for high scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
beatrix wrote:
You wanted recommendations of games, here are mine, some small games, small in size, but I think that great in substance.
I will also try to avoid the typical gaming mechanic to obtain resources or Area Control/Influence Area, which of those already there are many.

I'm not going to argue my choices with brainy analysis, my choices are made with this criterion "small, affordable, entertaining and fun"

blank Palastgeflüster, care if the kids are sleeping, laughter can be very shocking.

blank Hab & Gut, a different mechanism, because you have to share resources with other players, in this recalls the 7 Wonders.

blank Lobo, a mechanic apparently similar to Carcassonne, the tiles are 2-sided, here things change, also has a spectacular illustrations, small sheep kissing!

blank Felix: The Cat in the Sack, at first glance may seem childish, but if your group likes the bluffing, is a good game

blank Cliffhanger simply addictive, the illustrations of goats characterized Matrix, are priceless!

blank Bison, this is Area Control / Influence Area, but with modular board, I think largely unsung for a Kramer's game

These are not language.

and tell me your opinion

These all sound good. Have you tried Farlander?

Lobo and Cliffhanger sound interesting.
What I can't work out is when you get time to play!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hida Mann wrote:
arrrh You could have gotten some 'pirated' copy of "SPAMopoly!" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Aenea wrote:
Is it me or do I see lotsa unanswered questions in this thread! whistle

Now who is slacking
I'm 'taking' THIS to "13"! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Explain this.

You rate Jamaica a 6.5 and yet you've played it 21 times, The Haunted House 6, played 9 times

You rate Diplomacy a 10, played once, Junta I assume the 2 plays aren't accurate, but Kingmaker also 2 plays, rated 9

are you a glutton for punishment, or too nice to say no to your gaming group?

Easy; and when Linus hits 4 you'll totally understand. Part of my rating is based on audience. The Haunting House is the same as Jamaica (which kids love), but also a charity case. I did have it down at 5 but the designer's post on the forum made me feel mean - he is trying.

I've played Diplomacy 3 times in the last 2 years- clearly not all logged. Junta twice for real and twice by forum ... in the last 2 years. Both of these would be nearer 30 (and possibly 50) IF i could track down the dates between 1984 and 2009 when they occured. This is also true of Carcassone and Bohnanza which must both be near 50 as well.

Kingmaker is 4 in total. Twice in 1984 and twice in 2011.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:

are you a glutton for punishment, or too nice to say no to your gaming group?

And sometimes too nice to insist my gaming group plays the games I want to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie T
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick gratz on being the 300th GotW before your week is over!
What a great story AND one with a happy ending - love it (except for the hating boardgames part shake).

Q1. You have quite a diverse mix of games in your collection, do you think you could ever change your partner's opinion on boardgames?
Q2. Is there something (theme/activity) she is passionate about that is covered in a boardgame that you don't own?

Also, by playing my 'enhanced intuition card', I predict that should you decide to cross the waters to live here in Australia, you may prefer it in Queensland or Western Australia (or Victoria if you prefer the cooler climes of NZ).
Honestly, with all the quakes NZ sounds like a great place to visit but not reside in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shyne wrote:

Honestly, with all the quakes NZ sounds like a great place to visit but not reside in.

The whole country isn't shaky. Just Sam's part. For now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
beatrix wrote:

These are not language.

and tell me your opinion

These all sound good. Have you tried Farlander?

Lobo and Cliffhanger sound interesting.
What I can't work out is when you get time to play!!!!

I haven't tried Farlander, although I have seen out there, you and Raiko speak highly of him.

I can only play on weekends and not all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This Palastgeflüster looks fun as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Shyne wrote:

The whole country isn't shaky. Just Sam's part. For now.

Let's hope it stays that way- I wouldn't wish this on anyone. And it's not just for now. They're talking 3-5 years now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shyne wrote:
A quick gratz on being the 300th GotW before your week is over!
What a great story AND one with a happy ending - love it (except for the hating boardgames part shake).

Q1. You have quite a diverse mix of games in your collection, do you think you could ever change your partner's opinion on boardgames?
Q2. Is there something (theme/activity) she is passionate about that is covered in a boardgame that you don't own? [/q]

I've tried to foist a huge range of games on Nicky. I bought a large range of 2 player and 2 playerable games. She most recently tried Biblios, which she didn't like. She thought Alhambra was so-so. HATED Havana. Thought Spy Alley was ok. She doesn't like games. Her favourite is Topple. She is more inclined to abstracts, but would rather not bother. I hate abstracts.

Shyne wrote:

Also, by playing my 'enhanced intuition card', I predict that should you decide to cross the waters to live here in Australia, you may prefer it in Queensland or Western Australia (or Victoria if you prefer the cooler climes of NZ).

Nicky likes Queensland, I could probably easily get a job in Perth. I'd love more heat. The jury's out. cool

Shyne wrote:

It's not much fun to live in UNLESS you treat it like being an adventurer who loves extreme sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
LanaDove wrote:
Congratulations, Sam! meeple

Enjoy your week!

Lana - it's coming to an end. Thanks for selecting Alysa and yep it's been a hoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm away for most of tomorrow but on my return I'll introduce the new GOTW (so within 24 hours!!!!! But probably about 18 to 20 from now - so more or less exactly a week since I found myself here).
I'll answer any further questions then.

I think you'll agree the next GOTW is pretty special.

Thanks to all of you.
I've got a new Superhero alterego, a new game, 2 tips for games I should check out, 3 gentle corrections and some new friends!

Thanks to all the of the Kiwis who have dropped in. New Zealand is a small nation and I'm very proud of it.

Please look out for the next Overtext Treasure hunt.

Please back the Geek of the Year for a contribution to Geekland, boardgaming or public involvement with boardgames, vgames and RPGs.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/61890/geek-of-the-year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheree Garratt
New Zealand
Te Awamutu
Waipa District
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great week Sam - I have enjoyed lurking in this thread, thought I better say "hi".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
LadyPlayer wrote:
A great week Sam - I have enjoyed lurking in this thread, thought I better say "hi".

Thanks Sheree. It's been bizarre. Are you getting to Games on the Bay? If I had time and $ I'd go. I missed Wellycon unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheree Garratt
New Zealand
Te Awamutu
Waipa District
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping to get there on the Sunday - I made one day at Wellycon this year too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
LadyPlayer wrote:
Hoping to get there on the Sunday - I made one day at Wellycon this year too

Brilliant - say Hi to David, Seriouslyboard for me,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alkis Moraitis
Australia
North Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
We gotta get out while we 're young, `cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, two game recommendations from me:

1. Genoa for the fantastic negotiation Euro game play
2. Intrigue for the crazy bluffing, negotiation, lying, backstabbing, relationship breaking, crazy game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the great read this week. I've popped in a few times to read your replies and enjoy the new batch of questions. Good job!

I'm a kiwi who has been living the last 11 years in the UK and we're heading home at the end of this year. So it has been especially fascintaing to hear about your recent trials and tribulations as you deliberate your next life steps amongst dealing with the quakes. It has been heartbreaking keeping up with the news and reading/watching the plight facing Canterbury. We too have considered Oz as our next home but in the end we're heading home to be near familiy so NZ it is... at least for the next few years (I'll change my flag back when I get home). It's also interesting to hear about your experiences overseas. Sri Lanka was on our itinerary for the trip home but we've had to shorten it...so that will still be on my wish list.

Now to gaming. I'm determined to find and play a game Junta now thanks to you.

You've not had that many game suggestions so I'll add one more that may appeal...

Kraków 1325 AD

Krakow 1325 is a great trick-taking area control game. It has a bit of depth like peeling back an onion and the bit i think may appeal to you is that is has a secret identity mechanism which necessitates a bit of backstabbing. The game story, card and board art is detailed and humourus. Have you seen it? Played it? It may be difficult to find but I know of a few sets in NZ. Citylife did a review on it a while back.

Just an observation. It cracks me up how 500 is (probably without most kiwis realising it) the MOST kiwi of games I've come across. I've never met any non-kiwi who has played or heard of it...yet every kiwi with a card playing relative WILL learn this game. Have you ever met a non kiwi who knows 500?

I was nodding at your list of comedy shows. I'm curious to know what you the best 1-2 kiwi comedies on TV were you said there were only a couple but I didn't see you sat which ones. Outrageous Fortune? 7 Periods with Mr Gormsby? or further back like McPhail and Gadsby?

Congrats on making GOTW so good this week cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
alkis21 wrote:
Sam, two game recommendations from me:

1. Genoa for the fantastic negotiation Euro game play
2. Intrigue for the crazy bluffing, negotiation, lying, backstabbing, relationship breaking, crazy game play.

Brilliant - I have played Intrigue (but log it with my Dominion plays) but not Genoa. I'll make a point of looking at it Alkis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.